Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGoblin View Post
    none of the people i know feel "oppressed" in china
    None of the unicorns I know are fictitious.

Anecdotal evidence is garbage, c'mon now.

none of the people i know feel "oppressed" in china
    How many Chinese dissidents do you know?

Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    You had your chance to make something special of this, Internet, and you fucked it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    We are in this thread with Elba, therefore we are all Elba.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Yeah, agreed. They'd have been better with a few blown-up prints, or a mural of some kind.
    So what, does shit have to be Picasco level to make whatever arbitrary level of productivity that you and @PACOX have?

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    How many Chinese dissidents do you know?

Exactly.
    lol, "dissidents" are where they belong.
    China needs no americanized idiots stirring up trouble

lol, "dissidents" are where they belong.
    China needs no americanized idiots stirring up trouble
    Thanks for exactly proving my entire point. Much appreciated.

Also being a dissident isn't an "American" thing, it's a "human being" thing. People disagree with things, and should be allowed to voice their disagreement without being thrown in prisons or being told they are "stirring up trouble" (brainwashed speak for the person dissenting was asking for whatever happened to them)
    You had your chance to make something special of this, Internet, and you fucked it up.

Is it fair to call a balloon a sculpture?
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

Thanks for exactly proving my entire point. Much appreciated.

Also being a dissident isn't an "American" thing, it's a "human being" thing. People disagree with things, and should be allowed to voice their disagreement without being thrown in prisons or being told they are "stirring up trouble" (brainwashed speak for the person dissenting was asking for whatever happened to them)
    it is american thing because theyre promoting american propaganda
    those "dissidents" are "oppressed" in prisons just as criminals are "oppressed" in any other country.

those "dissidents" are "oppressed" in prisons just as criminals are "oppressed" in any other country.
    Being a dissident isn't a crime in countries with basic human rights. Putting someone in jail for speaking against the establishment is the definition of oppression.

I mean do I even need to say anything else? You are making my argument for me. You are admitting they oppress people in the most basic way possible.

- - - Updated - - -

If you think speaking out against a government is a criminal act I can't imagine what you think "American propaganda" is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cradyz View Post
    inb4 our resident 'China did nothing wrong' posters.

I'd say it's a good thing to keep reminding people of the terrible things others did that they deny. China is going to throw a hissy fit anyways. Did the Taiwanese government endorse it?
    I learned just a couple days ago randomly browsing wikipedia that Brad Pitt has been forbidden from entering China and declared persona non grata for starring in a movie which portrayed a young Dalai Lama in a positive way. So too were his costar and even the director. China will do anything and everything to silence any talk they disapprove of. Acknowledge Taiwan is a thing? Punished. Talk about Tibet? Punished. Only groups I know of that do this more than China is some middle eastern states. I remember reading that athletes from a few countries dropped out of the Olympics rather than compete against athletes from Israel, as they claimed it would be a form of acknowledging it.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I learned just a couple days ago randomly browsing wikipedia that Brad Pitt has been forbidden from entering China and declared persona non grata for starring in a movie which portrayed a young Dalai Lama in a positive way. So too were his costar and even the director. China will do anything and everything to silence any talk they disapprove of. Acknowledge Taiwan is a thing? Punished. Talk about Tibet? Punished. Only groups I know of that do this more than China is some middle eastern states. I remember reading that athletes from a few countries dropped out of the Olympics rather than compete against athletes from Israel, as they claimed it would be a form of acknowledging it.
    Reality is hard for people who live in a bubble to comprehend, but nonetheless is still exists for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Yes, it should be repeated year after year.

Scary how dedicated propaganda and censoring can do this, isn't it?
    I don’t think it has much power anymore honestly. China 30 years ago <> China today, especially in the minds of Chinese citizens.

It’s like someone coming up to me today and saying “Ronald Reagan ignored AIDS! Your government is so corrupt!”

Except that China has changed WAAAY more since the 80s than we have.
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post

It’s like someone coming up to me today and saying “Ronald Reagan ignored AIDS! You should overthrow the government!”
    It's not even close to being like that lol.

It's not even close to being like that lol.
    I changed it to be less extreme, but my point is that something that happened 30 years ago when China's GDP was 1/12 of what is now (adjusted for inflation) must seem like total ancient history to current Chinese citizens and is easily dismissed.

In the west we like it cause it's a cool photo but it's not really gonna convince anyone that the government is corrupt right now. In fact, I bet it is more likely to spur a lot of "you think YOU have it bad? In my day..." comments from the older folks.

I changed it to be less extreme, but my point is that something that happened 30 years ago when China's GDP was 1/12 of what is now (adjusted for inflation) must seem like total ancient history to current Chinese citizens and is easily dismissed.

In the west we like it cause it's a cool photo but it's not really gonna convince anyone that the government is corrupt right now. In fact, I bet it is more likely to spur a lot of "you think YOU have it bad? In my day..." comments from the older folks.
    People in China already think the government is corrupt, it's just that most of them disappear like the poster earlier said. They are "criminals" who are "stirring up trouble" with "American propaganda"

Some people there still have guts though, and you can't keep your citizens in line forever. China is trying harder to control it's people than any other country on earth and it still has plenty of dissidents, and again you can't globalize and hide your dirty laundry forever. China's solution to this instead of adapting is to try and make their censored society the one everyone copies with efforts like their investments in Africa.

Reality is hard for people who live in a bubble to comprehend, but nonetheless is still exists for the rest of us.
    Not sure if that "people in a bubble" comment was a jab aimed at me for being unaware of the Pitt thing, or about something else.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Not sure if that "people in a bubble" comment was a jab aimed at me for being unaware of the Pitt thing, or about something else.
    It was directed at the people who are denying anything is wrong with China, and people living in oppressive governments, or just people having their views challenged.

It wasn't directed at you specifically at all. If anything I was agreeing with you.

People in China already think the government is corrupt, it's just that most of them disappear like the poster earlier said. They are "criminals" who are "stirring up trouble" with "American propaganda"

Some people there still have guts though, and you can't keep your citizens in line forever. China is trying harder to control it's people than any other country on earth and it still has plenty of dissidents, and again you can't globalize and hide your dirty laundry forever. China's solution to this instead of adapting is to try and make their censored society the one everyone copies with efforts like their investments in Africa.
    Not gonna argue with you on any of that, but I still think that the man in front of tank symbol has probably lost most of its power for Chinese citizens.

It was directed at the people who are denying anything is wrong with China, and people living in oppressive governments, or just people having their views challenged.

It wasn't directed at you specifically at all. If anything I was agreeing with you.
    Ah, like flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, holocaust deniers (both jewish and armenian). I've often pondered if the world would be radically different if we stuck with Taiwan instead of switching our support to PRC decades ago because of money. But PRC claims they're the only China. If you do business with Taiwan they won't do business with you.

Not gonna argue with you on any of that, but I still think that the man in front of tank symbol has probably lost most of its power for Chinese citizens.
    I really disagree, if that were true China wouldn't still be censoring information on the massacre or any of the surrounding protests.

I really disagree, if that were true China wouldn't still be censoring information on the massacre or any of the surrounding protests.
    So you think if they didn't censor it, it might start something? They censor it out of habit but I think that its time has passed now.

Symbols like this only have power if the mythology (or truths) around them is known and passed down from generation to generation, kept present. This one was censored and probably feels like ancient history. I think people will find it interesting, but not mind blowing. Like you said, they know their government is corrupt.