Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

China: Inflatable Tank Man sculpture appears in Taiwan

A Taiwanese artist has created giant inflatables of a tank and “tank man” - the lone protester who stood in front of a convoy of tanks on Beijing’s Tiananmen Square - to mark 30 years since China’s bloody crackdown on the pro-democracy movement.

The photograph of a man in a white shirt standing in the path of the tanks has become one of the most recognised images of the twentieth century, and a symbol of peaceful protest.

The balloons are on display in the Taiwanese capital Taipei, by the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall, one of Taiwan’s most famous landmarks.

Mention of the June 4, 1989, crackdown is heavily censored in Chinese news and social media.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1SR1M1

Back in 1989, Deng Xiaoping, the leader of communist China said, "a million dead Chinese is nothing." Talking about suppressing the demonstrating students.

Do you think exhibits like this do anything good?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's definitely good to not let the massacre of Tiananmen Square be forgotten.

If I wanted to kill a lot of communists I'd just join the communist party and get promoted.

inb4 our resident 'China did nothing wrong' posters.

I'd say it's a good thing to keep reminding people of the terrible things others did that they deny. China is going to throw a hissy fit anyways. Did the Taiwanese government endorse it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

10+ Year Old Account
    China has long been in need of civil disobedience.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    It's definitely good to not let the massacre of Tiananmen Square be forgotten.
    Sure, but i wonder what the average young Chinese adult thinks when he sees this? how many think "art project" or " army recruitment" or "memorial for something" or something like that? and how many more would straight up not believe it when told the truth?

10+ Year Old Account
    They might be trying to convey a message but it looks tacky. Comical to the point that it is counterproductive to the cause.

If I was statesman I would laugh at it and say, 'really, that's the best they can come up with?'

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Is that supposed to be a Heinekken tank?

10+ Year Old Account
    The tank looks so cartoon-ish.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    They might be trying to convey a message but it looks tacky. Comical to the point that it is counterproductive to the cause.

If I was statesman I would laugh at it and say, 'really, that's the best they can come up with?'
    Yeah, agreed. They'd have been better with a few blown-up prints, or a mural of some kind.

Yes, it should be repeated year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    Sure, but i wonder what the average young Chinese adult thinks when he sees this? how many think "art project" or " army recruitment" or "memorial for something" or something like that? and how many more would straight up not believe it when told the truth?
    Scary how dedicated propaganda and censoring can do this, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Back in 1989, Deng Xiaoping, the leader of communist China said, "a million dead Chinese is nothing." Talking about suppressing the demonstrating students.

Do you think exhibits like this do anything good?
    Yes, china oppresses it's citizens and tries to remove history. Boy if that guy gets caught, talk about getting a social credit score drop and going to re-education camp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

Sure, but remember their president gets butt hurt about Winnie the Pooh, so...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Back in 1989, Deng Xiaoping, the leader of communist China said, "a million dead Chinese is nothing." Talking about suppressing the
    Apocryphal quote. One of his actual quotes is "It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice."
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    "Instead, the fiercest fighting took place at Muxidi, around three miles west of the square, where thousands of people had gathered spontaneously on the night of June 3 to halt the advance of the army.

According to the Tiananmen Papers, a collection of internal Communist party files, soldiers started using live ammunition at around 10.30pm, after trying and failing to disperse the crowd with tear gas and rubber bullets. Incredulous, the crowd tried to escape but were hampered by its own roadblocks."

oohh nice source, so the massacre was just 3 miles west, our bad we were 3 miles out, oh well China is a big place but no massacre denied.

10+ Year Old Account
    What massacre of Tiananmen Square?
    While the massacre wasn't actually in the square itself it was still related to those protests and the two are irrevocably linked in China's history, if only colloquially.
    Because fuck you, that's why.

"The testimony contradicts the reports of several journalists who were in Beijing at the time, who described soldiers "charging" into unarmed civilians and suggests the death toll on the night may be far lower than the thousands previously thought."

So he admits he lied, but you expect us to believe that part of it was correct?

Here's the summary of the actual cable:
    so you link a source that says no massacre happened but instead another one did, then need another source saying that massacre didn't happen either?

yup sounds totally legit, no bullshit going on here.

No, he does not.
    Making fun of politicians isn't allowed because they take politics seriously.
    The same reason why the UK doesn't allow the usage of parliament-footage in comedy shows.
    Is this said ironically or are you genuinely that uninformed? British MP's, Prime Ministers and the monarchy are all open targets of mockery, ridicule and satire - just not the footage from inside parliament.

And yes, anything remotely critical, remotely mocking of China is banned. Especially side by side comparisons of Xi and Winnie the Pooh.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    so you link a source that says no massacre happened but instead another one did, then need another source saying that massacre didn't happen either?

yup sounds totally legit, no bullshit going on here.
    Its hillarious how he defends China cracking down on marxist protesters marching against the capitalist reforms and rising inequality.

Just wear a red band and the leftists will rally at your defense.