Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    It's funny how we bitch and moan about most dictators except for China. We're full of shit aren't we?
    Similar relationship with Saudi Arabia. Repugnant governments but the West relies on them still for its beloved capitalism.

No, there is a lot of anti Saudia Arabia rhetoric among many politicians and human rights activists. Not much about China.
    You must have missed all the human rights violations China commits...

No, there is a lot of anti Saudia Arabia rhetoric among many politicians and human rights activists. Not much about China.
    I don't know how you can honestly claim that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I mean Tiananman Square really wasn't that long ago... It would be comparable to the US already having forgotten the Vietnam war or the student protests against Vietnam, only even more recent. People who lived through it are still alive and are still fairly young. People who lived through World War 2 aren't even all dead yet... This is far from ancient history.
    While kent state isn't censored here, it's not like it was really taught in any of my classes (I didn't take any modern [20th century] history classes in college).

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Ah, like flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, holocaust deniers (both jewish and armenian). I've often pondered if the world would be radically different if we stuck with Taiwan instead of switching our support to PRC decades ago because of money. But PRC claims they're the only China. If you do business with Taiwan they won't do business with you.
    Now you've done it. Now you've really triggered kangodo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I put him on ignore. reason: He defended the regime of NK... went a step too far for my liking. 'Tis wierd tho, before that you could discuss things quite nicely with him. And oh well, Gilrak is our resident dutch communist <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    No, he does not.
    Yeah, he does.

even non-joke forms of Winnie the Pooh aren't allowed because the president has skin as thin as... as... some sort of soft material one might cover a stuffed animal in.

Making fun of politicians isn't allowed because they take politics seriously.
    Like I said; sounds like China is in need of some good ol' fashioned civil disobedience.
    The same reason why the UK doesn't allow the usage of parliament-footage in comedy shows.
    People in the U.K. make fun of their politicians all the time. And that "footage can't be used for comedy purposes" is seen as extremely stodgy.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-05-23 at 07:19 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Yes, this is a good thing. The communist government of China needs to be challenged. Places like Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, etc. demonstrate what all of China could be like under a more democratic government.

Imagine how much more stable the world would be with democratic China as a balancing force to the US on the other side of the planet. North Korea would be neutered for a start since China was, until recently, the only country that had influence with the rogue nation and therefore all negotiations had to go through China giving the communist government incredible influence in the region.

Presenting the UK as either a good example of civic freedom or good governance seems a bit silly.

Good demonstration. Honestly I thought it being inflatable was so that it could easily be reproduced and placed in China to stir some well-deserved shit.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

yeah but democracy is bad, cultural homogeny is good, me smart, me follow j peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Is it fair to call a balloon a sculpture?
    Absolutely.

It is kind of like cartoons do not cease to be an art form even if they are very bold and simple.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    Go ahead and criticize the source.
    No need to, I actually live in China and have Chinese friends. Things that I see posted in this thread as absolute truth simply are not part of my experience or of anyone I know. Nope, WeChat still has Winnie the Pooh stickers and I send them all the time -- even to party members. I've searched tank guy at least half a dozen times since February, and my ISP identifies me as a Chinese woman (so not a special for foreigners exemption), but nobody comes to talk to me. I don't block pictures on this site, so I regularly see the Xi as Winnie the Pooh picture that is supposed to be so triggering -- it displays just fine and nobody comes to talk to me. I question the neutrality of the media on all sides, the Internet has become the weapon of choice today, but as limited as my sample size is I have to go by what I see happening.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

It is well known that no one dead in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square in 1989.

It is just another Trump's propaganda for his re-election.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo
    Nope, it's the law.
    Well, you don't live in a place with lese majesty laws and don't get it! /s <bungee goes to the corner>
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Kangodo Yep, I know, that's why the /s was there. Still the examples make a point, and since I don't live in the Netherlands it is better coming from someone who does.

Nor are the Netherlands the only country with such laws. Odd that gets overlooked here.

So perhaps it's time people took it a bit more serious?
    So what you're saying is that you're going to stop being a communist shill? Or is it a "do as I say, not as I do" type of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Rofl so very true.

There is so much bullshit spewed from Kangodo that I really appreciate someone picking out the little bullshit pieces and highlighting them as well.
    Trying to pick them all is impossible though. They multiply too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianGoblin View Post
    lol, "dissidents" are where they belong.
    China needs no americanized idiots stirring up trouble
    If you delect some more, you'll totally get an argument there All you need is more faith in glorious leader Xi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I know he denies plenty of things, but what would be his issue with Armenian genocide? It wasn't done by the commies.

Literally anything? No.
    99% of the shit you people post: Yes.

You live in a post-truth world.
    It's not just the Trumpist doing it, they only learned it from you.
    As opposed to your far left fringe horseshit sources that repeatedly contradict each other (not to mention you, because you post them without reading)

Memes aren't allowed here.
    And Tibet is already freed by Mao.
    Ah, yes, getting invaded and incorporated by foreign nation is super freeing.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Kangodo Yep, I know, that's why the /s was there. Still the examples make a point, and since I don't live in the Netherlands it is better coming from someone who does.

Nor are the Netherlands the only country with such laws. Odd that gets overlooked here.
    I'm confused. Are relicts of monarchism supposed to vindicate China here? Let alone the general whataboutism behind those examples?
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    I nominate this post for post of the year, all years.

The Chinese are spreading to much disinformation on this topic.

The video above is a documentary about the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes
    I'm confused. Are relicts of monarchism supposed to vindicate China here? Let alone the general whataboutism behind those examples?
    Ah, the good old whataboutism excuse. Before that, there was "the pot calling the kettle black" or if you want to get fancier we can go over to the maxims of equity for "He who seeks equity must do equity".

The "ZOMG" Winnie the Pooh is illegal", while also being dead wrong, is used to project a pretty propagandistic image of a foreign leader from a completely different culture. Call it a relic of monarchy if you wish, are you Dutch though? Although divisive, as far as I recall, the Dutch have revisited this relic in the past few years and chosen to retain it. It seems like not everyone sees the world though precisely the same lenses, and this isn't just some wild Chinese idea drummed up out of thin air to support current leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Ah, the good old whataboutism excuse. Before that, there was "the pot calling the kettle black" or if you want to get fancier we can go over to the maxims of equity for "He who seeks equity must do equity".

The "ZOMG" Winnie the Pooh is illegal", while also being dead wrong, is used to project a pretty propagandistic image of a foreign leader from a completely different culture. Call it a relic of monarchy if you wish, are you Dutch though? Although divisive, as far as I recall, the Dutch have revisited this relic in the past few years and chosen to retain it. It seems like not everyone sees the world though precisely the same lenses, and this isn't just some wild Chinese idea drummed up out of thin air to support current leadership.
    He's from Poland.

Ah yes, they need to be challenged. Preferably by the US military, right?
    And if they don't listen?
    If China won't listen, or if North Korea won't listen?
    You committed genocide against them once, will you do it again?
    Will you, once again, nuke asian countries to impose your will?

But most importantly: Are you willing to die for your ideals?
    Where did I say anything about using military force? The Soviet Union fell without any large scale military conflicts and China is far less antagonistic to the world at large than they were. Changes in China need to be brought about through their own people deciding that they will no longer live under oppression. External military actions are not needed. The world would be vastly improved if those changes came about.

As for genocide, what in god's green earth are you talking about? China has a population of 1.4 billion people and there are Chinese people spread all over the world. I doubt they need to worry about genocide even if some country was crazy and evil enough to try.

I will not die for China's freedom. It is up to them to decide if their freedom is worth dying for. The person who stood in front of those tanks certainly understood that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Back in 1989, Deng Xiaoping, the leader of communist China said, "a million dead Chinese is nothing." Talking about suppressing the demonstrating students.

Do you think exhibits like this do anything good?
    Yes because they test the boundaries of free speech. Art exhibits are good exercises to understand how a government handles censorship while defining the extent of citizen rights. This is a bold move, even more so since it happened in Taiwan.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."