Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
... LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    That just transfers the pain to the family and friends of the person shot.
    Exactly what was going through the fathers head as a person was shooting a weapon at his house where his family was.
    “He who only speaks in quotes often forgets to think for himself." - Anais
    "In Texas, don't bring a paintball gun to a real gun fight." - Me

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnedge View Post
    My paintball guns make a loud bang sound. Not a pfft.
    I'm sure they're just deafening...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

  3. #163
    Happy ending to one less idiot.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I'm sure they're just deafening...
    Some of my paintball guns are louder than some of my small caliber guns. It's a fall flat argument.
    “He who only speaks in quotes often forgets to think for himself." - Anais
    "In Texas, don't bring a paintball gun to a real gun fight." - Me

  5. #165
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    22,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Paintballs hitting any hard surface are going to sound different than bullets. It doesn't matter if it's brick veneer or plywood. Not to mention the actual sound of a paintball gun is more like "PFFT" than "BANG!".

    Also, any responsible gun owner should have taken their gun to the range at least once...otherwise you could be just as much a danger to your family as the people you are afraid of. Why keep a deadly weapon around if you're not familiar with how to use it?
    I agree with those points. But there are some who got thier firearm as a hand me down from family. They wanted it, but really are not into firearms enough to practice with them. They should however if they think they may want or need to shoot it or keep ammo around just in case.

    Your other points are debatable. I would be able to tell the difference. Some may not.
    " America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    - Abraham Lincoln
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
    – George Washington.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnedge View Post
    Exactly what was going through the fathers head as a person was shooting a weapon at his house where his family was.
    That terrifying sound of paintballs splatting against your house....He must piss himself during a hailstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

  7. #167
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnedge View Post
    Survival of the fittest. It's evolution. Dumb kids weed themselves out of the gene pool.
    I think weeding out lead poisoned psychotics is a more urgent objective.

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    That terrifying sound of paintballs splatting against your house....He must piss himself during a hailstorm.
    Paintballs don't make a splat sound. Especially when hitting certain surfaces that enhance/alter the impact sound... such as plywood and vinyl siding. This isn't Looney Toons
    “He who only speaks in quotes often forgets to think for himself." - Anais
    "In Texas, don't bring a paintball gun to a real gun fight." - Me

  9. #169
    Legendary! HeatherRae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,459
    I feel for the kid and his family. He didn't deserve to be shot, no. No one deserves to die for being stupid.

    What's bugging me, though, is that he should have known better. I know, kids are stupid, but even I knew in my safe-as-hell neighborhood that you never throw things at people's house, or trespass, etc, after dark. This kid from Houston frankly should have known better - Texas castle laws are very, VERY slanted towards the homeowner in almost every respect. By the time I was 19, I for damn sure knew that if you threw or shot things at a house - paintballs, firecrackers, whatever - there was a significant chance you'd get shot. Cause everybody's got a gun.

    It's much more difficult to sympathize with someone who did something he absolutely should have known better than to do than to sympathize with, say, the person who gets accidentally shot.
    Tiriel US-Illidan

    Signature by Shyama

  10. #170
    11:30pm...dark...group of people targeting home.."initially reported as an attempted car burglary"
    Only one dead?

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    11:30pm...dark...group of people targeting home.."initially reported as an attempted car burglary"
    Only one dead?
    Yup. Lucky day for the bad guys.
    “He who only speaks in quotes often forgets to think for himself." - Anais
    "In Texas, don't bring a paintball gun to a real gun fight." - Me

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    You are correct. The first two have a non-zero chance of causing actual harm.


    The 'I was scared for my life' thing is nonsense. Why would you run towards the thing you are mortally afraid of?
    Yes... He should have been sucking his thumb in the corner... Probably went towards danger because he isn't a massive wimp and believes he would rather die trying than crying. If no one ran towards danger we wouldn't have fire fighters, policy, military, doctors, good Samaritans, etc.

  13. #173
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    22,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    That terrifying sound of paintballs splatting against your house....He must piss himself during a hailstorm.
    Ever been in a home with a metal roof during a hard downpour? The structure of what something is hitting can make a big difference.

    If he had a love one outside at the time when he heard the sounds, he will not be charged with anything I do not think.

    And they will need to look at his own past records to see if there had been threats and such on his family, etc. Too much at this point we do not know. The police will need to gather up all the facts and look at the laws there.
    " America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    - Abraham Lincoln
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
    – George Washington.

  14. #174
    The Insane Thage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    17,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper0329 View Post
    I doubt he'll be convicted.

    The Texas Penal Code seems to support the contention that provided he had a reasonable belief that his life or the life of his family was in danger, he could employ deadly force without any duty to retreat. Given it doesn't exactly sound like he falls into the presumption of reasonableness in subsection b, from what I can see, the attorneys (if it gets to trial) will be arguing over things like the youth's behavior, how similar the paintball gun looked to a real gun, and the nature of the confrontation once the homeowner came outside. I'd like more details, but my wager is that he'll walk.
    Reasonable fear for one's life falls to pieces once you actually look at and listen to a CO2-powered paintball gun. The gigantic hopper and bulky CO2 canister, along with the discharge that sounds nothing like a firearm, torpedo that argument. What happened was either he went out knowing it was just a bunch of stupid kids with paintballs and killed someone for minor vandalism/being a stupid-ass teenager (and, hypothetical reader, you show me a stupid teenager doing stupid things and I show you the entirety of human history), or he cannot differentiate a child's toy from a lethal weapon and is mentally incompetent to own a firearm. Either way, a decent lawyer will shred him in court.

    Then again, as you say, this is Texas. All he has to do is give some teary-eyed speech about how he fondles his 30.06 late at night and the jury'll give him a pass.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!



  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquegyver View Post
    Yes... He should have been sucking his thumb in the corner... Probably went towards danger because he isn't a massive wimp and believes he would rather die trying than crying. If no one ran towards danger we wouldn't have fire fighters, policy, military, doctors, good Samaritans, etc.
    I must say if I were in his shoes I would not have went outside. I would have been sniping people through my living room window. Higher chance of drawing fire away from the bedrooms and less of a chance of me getting hit.
    “He who only speaks in quotes often forgets to think for himself." - Anais
    "In Texas, don't bring a paintball gun to a real gun fight." - Me

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Paintball guns sound absolutely nothing like actual guns. If this guy had a gun, he should've known that. There was no reason to shoot them. An argument could be made for firing into the sky as a warning shot to scare them off, but murder? No, the owner is clearly in the wrong. He should've just called the cops to get them arrested for vandalism.
    An argument to " shoot into the sky" can never be made as that is a direct way to end up in jail.
    Synek - best rogue in the world


  17. #177
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Reasonable fear for one's life falls to pieces once you actually look at and listen to a CO2-powered paintball gun. The gigantic hopper and bulky CO2 canister, along with the discharge that sounds nothing like a firearm, torpedo that argument. What happened was either he went out knowing it was just a bunch of stupid kids with paintballs and killed someone for minor vandalism/being a stupid-ass teenager (and, hypothetical reader, you show me a stupid teenager doing stupid things and I show you the entirety of human history), or he cannot differentiate a child's toy from a lethal weapon and is mentally incompetent to own a firearm. Either way, a decent lawyer will shred him in court.

    Then again, as you say, this is Texas. All he has to do is give some teary-eyed speech about how he fondles his 30.06 late at night and the jury'll give him a pass.
    All guns can sound extremely different from one another. Also, as I've pointed out in a past post, I have paintball guns much louder than some of my small caliber weapons. And not all paintball guns use CO2.
    “He who only speaks in quotes often forgets to think for himself." - Anais
    "In Texas, don't bring a paintball gun to a real gun fight." - Me

  18. #178
    Yes during night you could argue that seeing the difference between a real gun and a paintball gun might be hard to determine. But you absolutely will hear the difference between them firing and between them hitting your house. There is no argument you can make that would change that fact.

    The real thing I want to know is, was this guy just standing around with a gun on him (It was texas lol)? I assume if he is at home he would have to go get his gun, then go outside and open fire. The time it would take him to go get his gun and then get outside would be enough for any firearm owner to tell the difference between a gun and a paintball gun being fired at their home.

    He should be charged more than likely, but will he, maybe not it is Texas. Just because you own a gun and say your life was in danger does not give you the right to use said gun.

    Were the kids being dumb? Absolutely, but that does not excuse the right to shoot them. You should not own a gun period if you can not tell the difference between a paint ball gun being fired and a gun fired.

  19. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan11d7 View Post
    Yes during night you could argue that seeing the difference between a real gun and a paintball gun might be hard to determine. But you absolutely will hear the difference between them firing and between them hitting your house. There is no argument you can make that would change that fact.

    The real thing I want to know is, was this guy just standing around with a gun on him (It was texas lol)? I assume if he is at home he would have to go get his gun, then go outside and open fire. The time it would take him to go get his gun and then get outside would be enough for any firearm owner to tell the difference between a gun and a paintball gun being fired at their home.

    He should be charged more than likely, but will he, maybe not it is Texas. Just because you own a gun and say your life was in danger does not give you the right to use said gun.

    Were the kids being dumb? Absolutely, but that does not excuse the right to shoot them. You should not own a gun period if you can not tell the difference between a paint ball gun being fired and a gun fired.
    Have you ever been in a house as it's hit with paintballs? I have... it's stupid loud. I've never been in a house that someone has fired real bullets into... neither has the vast majority of the population... so even if you know what one sounds like, how do you know what the other sounds like? How do you distinguish between two sounds you may have never heard? Imagination?

    If someone is shooting at my house... I'm going to shoot back. I'll inspect the weaponry after the threat has been dealt with.
    “He who only speaks in quotes often forgets to think for himself." - Anais
    "In Texas, don't bring a paintball gun to a real gun fight." - Me

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Imagine being a kid and being stupid. Dear god, you guys defending the guy are the weirdest.
    what they did was beyond stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    You are correct. The first two have a non-zero chance of causing actual harm.


    The 'I was scared for my life' thing is nonsense. Why would you run towards the thing you are mortally afraid of?
    because running away or just trying to hide can still get you killed, especially if they were real guns shooting at them.
    Last edited by zhero; 2019-05-23 at 12:53 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •