Patch 8.2 PTR - Breath of Sindragosa and Glimmer of Light

Azshara Raid Testing, Patch 8.2 PTR - Build 30495

Patch 8.2 PTR - Breath of Sindragosa Changes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One topic that hasn’t appeared in our posts about the PTR, but is worth briefly discussing: so far, we’re not planning to heavily change Glimmer of Light in 8.2.

Outline of some relevant facts as we see them:

• The Glimmer build is a significant “flip” from the otherwise standard build. It changes talents (Holy Avenger, Crusader’s Might, and no Avenging Crusader), as well as stat priorities.
    • It is a fun and unique build to play, with a lot of player agency in manipulating Glimmer spread and timing.
    • It is a bit rotationally “broken” but not completely. The biggest concern is that Crusader Strike has a very high priority, which makes mana much less important.
    • Holy Paladin moved up in meters in high-skill contexts (Mythic) since the build became popular, but not drastically.
    • There is a lot of pressure to obtain specific Azerite pieces because of widespread recommendations to play the build.
    • A few minor concerns worth mentioning: It’s unideal that Infusion-buffed Flash of Light is sometimes skipped, the high amount of Glimmer in the breakdown devalues Int, and the playstyle is more similar to other healers than it is to traditionalHoly Paladin.

Philosophically, when we add customizable systems and bonuses to the game, some player-discovered experience is exactly the sort of thing we’re hoping will happen. Even when we didn’t anticipate all the details of an optimized build—arguably especially when we didn’t anticipate all the details—it produces a chance for players to explore something cool and rewarding. Almost by definition, those situations are at least slightly imbalanced or slightly broken, which is acceptable as long as they’re not too imbalanced or too broken.

There’s a balance where cutting off the exploration too early ruins the fun of discovering it, but letting it go on too long gets to a point where players are less excited by the novelty of the new build and more bothered by imbalances or rotational problems. We want to keep an eye on that, but the preliminary look for 8.2 is that this is still a lively setup that people are excited to play. Any change would likely be a small tweak that’s not intended to change its status as a popular or recommended playstyle.

In the longer term, if we wanted to preserve this mechanic in the class in some way, we would have to solve some of the above issues in the process, especially the very low mana demands. But that’s something we can revisit later.
    Last edited by chaud; 2019-05-22 at 10:06 PM.

Don't touch muh glimmer

Cause Frost dk is in such a good spot right...

7+ Year Old Account
    Both of the links to the official forums go to the Breath of Sindragosa blue post.

Don't worry, they'll take away the Glimmber build for holy paladins sooner than later. If there's one mantra that's held true at Blizzard since Vanilla, it's "no fun allowed." It's always been like this, and it always will be, especially with Activision at the helm calling the shots.

I hope they improve on glimmer instead of gutting it, I do agree with pallies not caring about mana is something broken maybe they should add a mana cost to crusader strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedmist View Post
    Don't worry, they'll take away the Glimmber build for holy paladins sooner than later. If there's one mantra that's held true at Blizzard since Vanilla, it's "no fun allowed." It's always been like this, and it always will be, especially with Activision at the helm calling the shots.
    yeah it's so much fun beeing completly shredded by a holypaladin in raids and you can do absolutely nothing about that. God i can't wait for eternal palace and all the fun i'll having.

/s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedmist View Post
    Yes. Always.

I, for one, never had fun with a blizzard game.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Who cares about Frost DK Breath. The spec barely competes with Warrior tanks on dps.

It's really in the next expansion that class balance will be looked at, isn't it?

Nevermind the gigantic dps difference between specs such as Subtlety and Assassination Rogue or Enhancement Shaman and Frost DK.

Specs that fill no niche, bring nothing special to a group and on top of that perform at the bottom numbers.

Sad.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Who cares about Frost DK Breath. The spec barely competes with Warrior tanks on dps.

It's really in the next expansion that class balance will be looked at, isn't it?

Nevermind the gigantic dps difference between specs such as Subtlety and Assassination Rogue or Enhancement Shaman and Frost DK.

Specs that fill no niche, bring nothing special to a group and on top of that perform at the bottom numbers.

Sad.

idk looks about average, top in 1 raid, middle bottom in mythics, and atleast above unholy in the other raid

but again someone will always be in the top, someone always in the bottom no matter what.

grong mythic, one of best frost dk versus 3 of best priests, seems pretty close, only a difference of up to 520k damage

and notice how breath is by far his highest.
    this is why they want to change it, if they can nerf it, they can buff ther rest of their spells to bring them closer in line.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-05-23 at 12:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Easy fix for BoS:

Breath of Sindragosa has a baseline duration of 10 seconds, consumes all RP when cast and increases the duration by x seconds for every 10 RP consumed. The duration is further increased by a further second for every Obliterate/FS/FSy critical strike or Killing Machine proc consumed whilst channeling Breath of Sindragosa.

There, fixed it.

Or, just make it a fucking baseline ability because they clearly do not want you to use any other talents on the 100 row

Just remove breath or make it baseline with the dragon spell. Instead of a line nuke she hovers at your main target and does a burst then maybe a heavy ticking stacking Dot. Follows your main target.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

idk looks about average, top in 1 raid, middle bottom in mythics, and atleast above unholy in the other raid

but again someone will always be in the top, someone always in the bottom no matter what.

grong mythic, one of best frost dk versus 3 of best priests, seems pretty close, only a difference of up to 520k damage

and notice how breath is by far his highest.
    this is why they want to change it, if they can nerf it, they can buff ther rest of their spells to bring them closer in line.
    75th percentile logs with normalized scores shown. Spec is fine. /s

I've always hated breath spec. Wish they'd just delete it or make other talents viable.

I guess Glimmer was too fun. Can't have that!

Blizzard seems to fear any GCD going to waste. ADHD players rejoice xD

Next they will ruin 'no il' frost mage

I don't play a healer at all, apparently the glimmer build is really good. Question though - is it significantly harder to play than the normal rotation to get the best use out of it? I feel like things should be allowed to have much better damage/healing/tankiness if they take a much higher level of skill to play? Like, if it's hard to play well, and if you don't play it well it's dogshit, then I have no problems....

Quote Originally Posted by Darkimpact View Post
    If that is true that makes me happy(no adhd thought), waiting for abilities to be ready and just standing there auto attacking feels horrible, I always try to avoid specs/classes with a lot of downtime. The long GCD also feels horrible.

Always bothered me how slow this game plays, almost like their goal is to make it playable for a 100 year old with mental disabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkimpact View Post
    As it should be