Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The mobs are ruining storm chasing

I had heard grumblings about the downsides to storm chasing for a long time - poor driving habits, traffic jams as cars converge near violent storms, and the dangers of rogue chasers and hobbyists.

But Monday was different. I witnessed firsthand the practices that will drive me away from the sport I once loved with my entire being. The past week of storm chasing has been eye-opening. In just seven days, I've encountered:

--Chase vehicles parked perpendicular to roads blocking major intersections

--Multiple chasers with red/blue police lights "pulling over" others to clear their path to the storm; in 70 mph winds and egg-sized hail and less than a mile from a tornado, this could have been deadly

--Traffic jams 200 cars deep

--Chasers parking on/in the road to take pictures, blocking traffic

--Chasers barreling down a one-lane road at 90 mph

--Chasers driving on the wrong side of the road

There's a reason why my biggest fear about storm chasing isn't weather-related; it's not the softball-sized hail, it's not hurricane-force winds, and it's not even lightning or the tornado. It's other chasers.

https://www.greenwichtime.com/opinio...g-13866653.php

Would you like to chase tornadoes?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Where are the police, hiding from the storm?

"Multiple chasers with red/blue police lights "pulling over" others" They should be really interested in that one, you wouldn't get far with lights like that where I live.

Yeah the cops are totally going to drive out to the death storm to issue misdemeanor tickets.

The cops where you live are pretty smart.

OT: No. Storm chasing looks really gay.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

It's on my bucket list to see a tornado in person so yes, I will be doing some storm chasing someday.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plagueshard801 View Post
    It's on my bucket list to see a tornado in person so yes, I will be doing some storm chasing someday.
    I have been in 3. Do not care to ever be in another one. I do not have a desire to be harmed. Or a death wish, as some would put it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Would you like to chase tornadoes?
    Have you ever seen a tornado pick up a car IRL?

I have. . . . on I20, going to Dallas from Arlington one afternoon. The tornado stuck down in Grand Prairie, maybe 5 miles to the north of the I20 east bound lane. . . I remember every single car slowing down to an almost stop in horror when you could see the tornado race through the city and pick up debris and cars and fling them MILES like a super hero movie. . . . . . Just thinking about what was going through those poor peoples minds as they got ravaged by mother nature makes me really sad.

Chasing storms is fucking stupid. One day, you may be the one getting sucked up into the eye of the storm.

5+ Year Old Account
    No I'm not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Yeah the cops are totally going to drive out to the death storm to issue misdemeanor tickets.

The cops where you live are pretty smart.

OT: No. Storm chasing looks really gay.
    Taking care of peoples safety is part of the job, at least for ours.

Any type of catastrophe and they are present, but there is no need to get close enough to hump the tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    Taking care of peoples safety is part of the job, at least for ours.

Any type of catastrophe and they are present, but there is no need to get close enough to hump the tornado.
    The OP mentions softball-sized hail, hurricane-force winds, lightning, and obviously the massive tornado. If your cops are driving into the cornfields of central America where nobody is actually at human vs human risk to hand out misdemeanor tickets during a double tornado kill-storm, they're legitimately retarded.

The good thing is, I know you're just clearly wrong and that the cops wouldn't do this.

The OP mentions softball-sized hail, hurricane-force winds, lightning, and obviously the massive tornado. If your cops are driving into the cornfields of central America where nobody is actually at risk to hand out tickets during a kill-storm, they're legitimately retarded.

The good thing is, I know you're just clearly wrong and that the cops wouldn't do this.
    And dash cam footage of U.S police officers getting close to tornados, is fake news?

We need a river.

A river of freedom.

And dash cam footage of U.S police officers getting close to tornados, is fake news?
    Link a video of them writing up someone for a ticket while softball size hail whizzes passed their heads. Go ahead I'll wait. Otherwise yea, fake news.

This is like saying cops go out and issue J-Walking tickets during a massive riot. Thinking this actually happens is the thought process of a basement person who doesn't really know how real life works.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Have you ever seen a tornado pick up a car IRL?

I have. . . . on I20, going to Dallas from Arlington one afternoon. The tornado stuck down in Grand Prairie, maybe 5 miles to the north of the I20 east bound lane. . . I remember every single car slowing down to an almost stop in horror when you could see the tornado race through the city and pick up debris and cars and fling them MILES like a super hero movie. . . . . . Just thinking about what was going through those poor peoples minds as they got ravaged by mother nature makes me really sad.

Chasing storms is fucking stupid. One day, you may be the one getting sucked up into the eye of the storm.
    There is a storm chaser on another forum who got caught out in that super nasty florida panhandle last year just short of the airforce base they were heading to as their "safe spot". So they basically took a direct hit by the eyewall of a cat 5 hurricane. The only reason they are not dead is basically luck. Their car lost all four of its tires and most of its windows. By the time the eye got over them they ran to the airforce base for protection but when the eyewall came over them again it ripped the roof off the hardened building they were in and had to flee to another building whose roof was heavily damaged. It all goes to show that the biggest problem with storm chasing is sooner or later you are going to catch it and in that instant you living or dying is basically beyond your control.

The OP mentions softball-sized hail, hurricane-force winds, lightning, and obviously the massive tornado. If your cops are driving into the cornfields of central America where nobody is actually at human vs human risk to hand out misdemeanor tickets during a double tornado kill-storm, they're legitimately retarded.

I haven't' said anything about getting close enough to hump it or drive off-road, if there is a catastrophy they are present at a "safe" distance obvious like the dash cams shows, what i'm wondering about is why they let people break the law like looting or impersonating a police officer ect right next to them. Kinda hard to be a storm chaser without passing police cars, and red and blue lights on your roof isn't exactly easy to hide.

If they just ignore it at least it makes sense that you have such problems with looting and are you sure impersonating a police officer is a misdemeanour?
    Last edited by Exeris; 2019-05-23 at 03:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess you'll just have to go back to cow tipping and chugging moonshine.
    /s

I haven't' said anything about getting close enough to hump it
    The term "storm chasing" is literally synonymous with "getting close enough to a storm to hump it".

Like I said in my last post that you neglected to quote, you don't seem to understand how real life works which is why you can't post the proof I asked for. Your cops will not be riding into the storm and completely trashing their cruisers and risking their lives to issue misdemeanors while a hurricane is destroying everything around them.

Done replying since you haven't made a single decent point since I criticized your first stupid post. Have fun trying to get any other right minded person to agree with you.

Where are the police, hiding from the storm?

"Multiple chasers with red/blue police lights "pulling over" others" They should be really interested in that one, you wouldn't get far with lights like that where I live.
    Yes. They are hiding from the storm. Because they aren't retards like the cops you seem to think you have.
    Last edited by LiiLoSNK; 2019-05-23 at 03:11 PM.

The term "storm chasing" is literally synonymous with "getting close enough to a storm to hump it".

Like I said in my last post that you neglected to quote, you don't seem to understand how real life works. Your cops will not be riding into the storm and completely trashing their cruisers and risking their lives to issue misdemeanors while a hurricane is destroying everything near them.

Done replying since you haven't made a single decent point since I criticized your first stupid post. Have fun trying to get any other right minded person to agree with you.
    I been mostly wondering since I'm not from the U.S and we don't have tornados, I find it hard to believe that they would just let a person impersonating a police officers(not a misdemeanour btw) just pass them and not react, the police seem to usually be present at a safe distance and the storm chasers obviously have to pass them, and the police truly just ignore this?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    "But Monday was different. I witnessed firsthand the practices that will drive me away from the sport I once loved with my entire being. The past week of storm chasing has been eye-opening. In just seven days, I've encountered:"

Anyone who calls storm chasing a sport isn't a storm chaser, they are one of the mob that keeps getting in the way of the serious chasers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I been mostly wondering since I'm not from the U.S and we don't have tornados, I find it hard to believe that they would just let a person impersonating a police officers(not a misdemeanour btw) just pass them and not react, the police seem to usually be present at a safe distance and the storm chasers obviously have to pass them, and the police truly just ignore this?
    Most of the time, the cops are not going to chase you into the possible path of a tornado, if you want to commit suicide, they cops wont stop you.

And where do you live where there arent Tornadoes? I thought they happened all over the earth.

Most of the time, the cops are not going to chase you into the possible path of a tornado, if you want to commit suicide, they cops wont stop you.
    That makes more sense thanks, at least that leave the option of them trying when it's reasonable other than totally ignore it.

- - - Updated - - -

And where do you live where there arent Tornadoes? I thought they happened all over the earth.
    Norway and we do have very tiny ones, biggest I've seen have been around 2-3 meters tall, and that was like 20 years ago.

I think they are called dust devils.