Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    I haven't' said anything about getting close enough to hump it
    In my experience, if you can see it close enough to feel ANY wind, your life is in danger. Ive seen them change direction so quickly, no human or animal could avoid its path. When I seen a tornado throw cars around like The Hulk, the tornado changed direction and started heading for the highway in my direction, but then, it changed direction to west, then north, the back towards us. It was a nightmare and I wouldnt have been able to get away even if I had a Tesla in luda mode at top speed with no cars on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Norway and we do have very tiny ones, biggest I've seen have been around 2-3 meters tall, and that was like 20 years ago.

I think they are called dust devils.
    I didn't know that. I wonder what makes the Tornado Alley in the USA so ~ tornado prone?

I hate dust devils, they are all over the place down here in the spring when we go Dove hunting. . . . we had to start wearing motocross goggles.

Stormchasers are such pussies nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    In my experience, if you can see it close enough to feel ANY wind, your life is in danger. Ive seen them change direction so quickly, no human or animal could avoid its path. When I seen a tornado throw cars around like The Hulk, the tornado changed direction and started heading for the highway in my direction, but then, it changed direction to west, then north, the back towards us. It was a nightmare and I wouldnt have been able to get away even if I had a Tesla in luda mode at top speed with no cars on the road.
    I didn't know tornadoes could be that erratic, staring to sound like storm chasers have a death wish. Then the police dash cams where it looks like they are at a safe distance really isn't correct and they shouldn't be that close.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

I didn't know that. I wonder what makes the Tornado Alley in the USA so ~ tornado prone?

I hate dust devils, they are all over the place down here in the spring when we go Dove hunting. . . . we had to start wearing motocross goggles.

What I've heard is that you have the huge, flat area of the central plains, or prairies with no mountains to stop the wind. It's over a thousand miles of flat land. So you have hot air coming from the Caribbean and cold air coming from Canada. No other place in the world like it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    "But Monday was different. I witnessed firsthand the practices that will drive me away from the sport I once loved with my entire being. The past week of storm chasing has been eye-opening. In just seven days, I've encountered:"

Anyone who calls storm chasing a sport isn't a storm chaser, they are one of the mob that keeps getting in the way of the serious chasers.

As someone on another site once said, 'you're not stuck in traffic, you ARE traffic.'

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    What I've heard is that you have the huge, flat area of the central plains, or prairies with no mountains to stop the wind. It's over a thousand miles of flat land. So you have hot air coming from the Caribbean and cold air coming from Canada. No other place in the world like it.
    Found some info on why we hardly have any.

The basis for creating a large tornado is a warm hill. That's why they don't like us.

- In Norway, the ground is cold, and we do not have so much temperature differences.

- A thunderstorm occurs when cold air is mixed with hot air. The warmer and more humid the hot air is, the stronger the thunderstorm becomes. With a strong thunderstorm, a strong tornado also follows, explains Johnsen.

With warm air also follows a vertical movement, the cold air pushing it warm up in the cloud. So the warmer the air, the stronger the vertical movement becomes, and a tornado is born.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know tornadoes could be that erratic, staring to sound like storm chasers have a death wish. Then the police dash cams where it looks like they are at a safe distance really isn't correct and they shouldn't be that close.
    Yeah, I really dont know what to think of people who chase tornadoes, or want to get a camera shot of a tsunami/hurricane, etc.

But to be fair, most tornadoes dont last long. Some do, but not most. And in my exp, Ive seen way more funnels form in the sky and just disappear before the funnel touches the ground.

But again, chasing a fully formed tornado is like rolling a 20 sided dice and saying "Meh, Ill never roll a 12 or a 20". People are crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Found some info on why we hardly have any.
    Nice, TIL.

Seeing videos of storm chasers, I am grateful that the weather in Europe rarely gets that intense, in Denmark we do get whirlwinds or waterspouts if they appear over the ocean but it is super rare and when it happens it is usually not strong enough to cause much damage beyond maybe blowing away light stuff like Plastic furniture.

I think the closest a proper dangerous tornado has been to hitting Denmark was in 2016 when a twin tornado ripped through parts of Schleswig-Holstein not too far from the border between Denmark and Germany.

So even if that could be considered close, one should also take note that you don't need to venture too far south of the danish border for the weather to become noticably warmer, generally Denmark's temperate climate does not allow for powerful tornadoes to form.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2019-05-23 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Seeing videos of storm chasers, I am grateful that the weather in Europe rarely gets that intense, in Denmark we do get whirlwinds or waterspouts if they appear over the ocean but it is super rare and when it happens it is usually not strong enough to cause much damage beyond maybe blowing away light stuff like Plastic furniture.

I think the closest a proper dangerous tornado has been to hitting Denmark was in 2016 when a twin tornado ripped through parts of Schleswig-Holstein not too far from the border between Denmark and Germany.

So even if that could be considered close, one should also take note that you don't need to venture too far south of the danish border for the weather to become noticably warmer, generally Denmark's temperate climate does not allow for powerful tornadoes to form.
    Norway had a mini tornado about 35 years ago, look at the "devastation". (worst I could find)

Norway had a mini tornado about 35 years ago, look at the "devastation". (worst I could find)

I never recall having a tornado or anything like that causing such damage in Denmark, but we have had hurricanes with winds strong enough to destroy greenhouses, throw stuff like trampolines around etc.

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    Storm chasing does not seem like a smart thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I can’t remember if I read it on here or if it was our local news, but I recall reading about a news reporter who was storm chasing and ignored stop signs (and was speeding). He ultimately slammed into another vehicle, I believe, killing everyone.
    Shocked that doesn't happen more often. Most are fleeing like their life depends on it while another small group is acting like a 5 year old chasing Santa. Both are very distracted and not focusing on others.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    I never recall having a tornado or anything like that causing such damage in Denmark, but we have had hurricanes with winds strong enough to destroy greenhouses, throw stuff like trampolines around etc.
    I found a link claiming a few roofs got destroyed in 2000 by a tornado, but the link didn't work.

Didn't know we got them big enough to cause serious damage, we do have storms though that often rip of roofs, usually late fall early winter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah you drive into a storm that’s your personal choice. I’m ok with first responders not responding to this.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BargainBoy View Post
    Storm chasing does not seem like a smart thing.
    Smart no but when done right it helps a lot of people by giving details radar can't.

I will continue to live in my tornado-less area thank you so no lol.