Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Gee, I have no idea why this could be......

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values...s-happier-left
    A few different ways to look at this, but it generally comes down to ignorance is bliss.

You can accurately call them happy idiots as well.

When the world gets boiled down to simple black and white ideology, and you have someone that tells you which is black and which is right, then you have very little stress in your life. You end up happy.

On the other hand, when you understand that reality is messy, and that very little of the world is black and white, you end up with more stress and less overall happiness because you understand a lot more. Understanding reality takes on toll on that person; blind ignorance takes its toll on others.

"Once I thought the truth was gonna set me free, But now I feel the chains of its responsibility" - Triumph, Ordinary Man

"if you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two impostors just the same" - Rudyard Kipling, If

"Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others. The same applies when you are stupid." - Ricky Gervais

Yeah, about that:

I especially like the last underlined point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanfall View Post
    Indoctrination into what? Believing in God/Jesus? Putting Faith into something greater than yourself? Believing in having a family and taking part in it?
    How about indoctrination in believing everyone who is a religious conservative housewife is somehow ignorant/unfulfilled etc etc.

One of my ex gfs was like this - all she wanted to do was have kids, 6 of them. Looks like she may be stuck with only two kids but she is a married, stay at home mom who is extremely happy with her life. She is not stupid/ignorant/ any of the above.

Some people on this board really need to take a good look at themselves and realise the rest of the world is not here to indulge your values.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Interesting take, especially your anecdotal evidence in your first statement. Clearly you've done an extensive study regarding your "few" that you know.
    If you look at the polling data it's a pretty biased and shoddy "study" done by a religious group.

Yup, happy and stupid.

Look at those eyes and that expression, not much going on in there.
    Beto imploded. Watching Buttigieg, Gabbard and Warren. #LegalizeCannabis #CannabisForVets
    Two cannabis bills are currently filed in congress for the current legislative session, each numbered H.R.420 and S.420!

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    How about indoctrination in believing everyone who is a religious conservative housewife is somehow ignorant/unfulfilled etc etc.

One of my ex gfs was like this - all she wanted to do was have kids, 6 of them. Looks like she may be stuck with only two kids but she is a married, stay at home mom who is extremely happy with her life. She is not stupid/ignorant/ any of the above.

Some people on this board really need to take a good look at themselves and realise the rest of the world is not here to indulge your values.
    Agreed. My wife is one of the smartest and most intelligent people I know and she wants and is a stay at home mom.

Study shows that religious autists and athiest autists can bump a bait thread to page 5 with enraged replies in less than 10 minutes, all the while not realizing how stupid they all look in the process.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Awww look at the first 2 response. Calling them brainwashed from the get go. Good job tools.
    If there would not be huge blowback a lot of these "organizations" would be classified on the same level as a cult.

Good that they are happy. Find it retarded people here calling their happiness a lie. But not everyone strives for what you strive for. If they are happy they have succeeded in life.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    However, having a stable family is not the problem some nasty types are trying to make it in, traditional family structure should be promoted, not attacked and deconstructed at any step.
    Traditional family structure? Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Meanwhile Muslim women "choosing" to wear a hijab aren't brainwashed into it I bet.
    Are Jewish women? African women? East European women? Why is it only a concern for muslim women?

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post

Agreed. My wife is one of the smartest and most intelligent people I know and she wants and is a stay at home mom.
    If some women want to be brood mares then that is not my problem, in my opinion intelligent people are aware that the world is a shitshow due to pollution, overpopulation, and various other sociopolitical issues and pushing out more rugrats won't address any of this, if anything it will make the situation worse. Deciding to use one's intellect to stay home and have children shows a high level of selfishness.

Most women who want to stay home simply don't want to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Good that they are happy. Find it retarded people here calling their happiness a lie. But not everyone strives for what you strive for. If they are happy they have succeeded in life.
    Nah, I'd call shoddy and biased data gathering lies.

Conservative Study confirms what they promote. Go figure.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/insti...amily-studies/

The study is very broad with their interpretations and doesn't really go into their methodology on how they arrived at their conclusions.

https://ifstudies.org/reports/world-...cutive-summary

This is akin to a study funding by Big Oil saying there is no signs of man-made climate change. The entire thing is like 8 pages including the abstract and footnotes. I would have gotten a failing grade in my statistics class if I did this poorly on a paper.

If anything the study main focus is to say women who have a religion are more likely to fall into traditional gender roles. It doesn't even mention happiness or why religion would make them happier. The study never goes into how or why that would be true and doesn't even provide a ranking of to compare and contrast the two.

This is why I always go to the study and methodology and not the news report.
    Last edited by Jettisawn; 2019-05-23 at 06:29 PM.
    The worst part about the internet is that it let the truly crazy, racist, and bigots find each other easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    If some women want to be brood mares then that is not my problem, in my opinion intelligent people are aware that the world is a shitshow due to pollution, overpopulation, and various other sociopolitical issues and pushing out more rugrats won't address any of this, it will make the situation worse. If anything decisions to use one's intellect to stay home and have children show a high level of selfishness.

Most women who want to stay home simply don't want to work.
    Yikes calling women that want kids "brood mares". I'm sorry that you are such an unhappy person....

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    I don't deny people happiness, and I'm glad they are, but I question the study and certainly Fox's interpretation of that study.
    The worst part about the internet is that it let the truly crazy, racist, and bigots find each other easily.

Yikes calling women that want kids "brood mares". I'm sorry that you are such an unhappy person....
    I'm not unhappy, I'm actually doing work to make the world a better place. If your wife wants to do the same, tell her to do more with her life than have children. At least start with volunteering, or consider adoption or foster care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I don't deny people happiness, and I'm glad they are, but I question the study and certainly Fox's interpretation of that study.
    Sure, I was pointing out the ones making the argument that they ain't happy and live in a lie,not questioning how many that are happy in such a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Gee, I have no idea why this could be......

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values...s-happier-left
    I wonder if it's because they're usually better looking.

Conservatives really are better looking, research says

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm not unhappy, I'm actually doing work to make the world a better place. If your wife wants to do the same, tell her to do more with her life than have children. At least start with volunteering, or consider adoption or foster care.
    So the only way to make the world a better place is to volunteer, adopt or foster care? To make the world a better place she's not allowed to have her own children and should be called a "brood mare" if she does? I feel like you are a very unhappy person and have a lot of anger built up.