Poll: Immortality but you have to go back 1 million years?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Most of Homo erectus from that time died off during a big ice age if we are to believe scientific/historical data. If I waited for 990,000 years, I could wait another 4 to 5 thousand for homo-sapiens.

Yes, I realize my math and dates are probably off, but the overall point stands :P

For myself, I wouldn't want technology because it probably wouldn't keep and you'd lose all the information. I would want a sealed and protected library of Human History and the Earth during that time. So I could make the most out of the situation as they presented themselves. Of course overall it's a hard pass for me.
    You have eternal life though. Given enough time and knowledge you could build any technology, write any book. You could even clone yourself, throw in some variations then have them write books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Yes.

I would document every event as possible. Give accurate first hand insight into all events.
    I say this truly. You are one of the most thoughtful and responsible responses ever.

How would you record everything?

More importantly where would you store it?

Remember knowledge can be a powerful thing.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

So great, you plan on drifting through the endless void for the remainder of time. Great prospect!

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    What kind of immortality are we talking about? Regenerating limbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Changing events could result in you never existing, which means you would never have been given the choice to be immortal, which means you could never have gone back to change things, which means things stayed exactly the same, which means you are born, which means you get the option of becoming immortal and going back 1 million years and repeating the whole cycle.

Time Travel Paradoxes are fun.
    Multiverse, motha fucka!
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Changing events could result in you never existing, which means you would never have been given the choice to be immortal, which means you could never have gone back to change things, which means things stayed exactly the same, which means you are born, which means you get the option of becoming immortal and going back 1 million years and repeating the whole cycle.

Unless you just split into whatever timeline all of this already happened right.

Think of terminator right. At some point John Conners father couldn’t have been Kyle Reese right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spdr View Post
    What kind of immortality are we talking about? Regenerating limbs?

Anything you’d imagine but you’re restricted to going back a million years in space time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You can be given immortality but you have to go back in time 1 million years. Would you do it?

Yes.

What would you do for the time?

I would likely change the a few events if I could.
    Guessing you forgot about how the Zeus in greek myths punished one of the other gods for falling in love with a mortal and asking for immortality.....you need to also have eternal youth or you're just going to whither forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    <snip>

Here's a female homo erectus.

Maybe bring some lipstick and eye liner with me. . .
    Are you saying Hollywood lied to me? I thought they all looked like Raquel Welch.

I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

You can be given immortality but you have to go back in time 1 million years. Would you do it?

Yes.

yes, but i wouldn't change any events, changing things that complicated and interwoven even if you mean well can have a lot of horrible ramifications, no ww1 = no penicillin, no Hitler = no end to colonialism e.t.c e.t.c

what i would do however is make a lot of money by betting on the outcomes of events setting me up for and eternity of luxury and also allowing me to massively invest in space flight, because i dont wanna still be on the rock when the sun expands and im unable to die.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post

Here's a female homo erectus.

Maybe bring some lipstick and eye liner with me. . .
    where did you get a picture of my ex gf ?

Unless you just split into whatever timeline all of this already happened right.

Think of terminator right. At some point John Conners father couldn’t have been Kyle Reese right?
    That's a big problem. There's a whole causality loop where Skynet is destroyed by John Connor in the future by trying erase John Connor and Skynet only exists because John Connor destroyed it in the future. Terminator is a mess of time travel paradoxes.

If Kyle Reese was, at some point in the timeline, not John Connor....how did John Connor grow up to be John Connor? The Sarah Connor that existed before the T-800 was sent back to kill her was a very different person than the one she became after. She gets pregnant because of Kyle Reese going back in time. She named him John because Kyle told her that's what her son's name is. She specifically raised her son to be the leader that Humanity needed because of that incident. Who would that boy have been if not for that incident? Would he even exist?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

assuming the timeline is linear and instead won't branch out into different timelines.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. 1 million years is way to long.
    It would be really cold for almost 980,000 years because of the ice age.
    No sex (or I mean you can have sex with... other things I guess, it is up to you)
    The chances I would get stuck somehow is pretty damn high and I rather not be stuck for a few 100k years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    assuming the timeline is linear and instead won't branch out into different timelines.
    Which would mean he doesn't actually change anything at all. Everything in his timeline would remain exactly as it was.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a big problem. There's a whole causality loop where Skynet is destroyed by John Connor in the future by trying erase John Connor and Skynet only exists because John Connor destroyed it in the future. Terminator is a mess of time travel paradoxes.

If Kyle Reese was, at some point in the timeline, not John Connor....how did John Connor grow up to be John Connor? The Sarah Connor that existed before the T-800 was sent back to kill her was a very different person than the one she became after. She gets pregnant because of Kyle Reese going back in time. She named him John because Kyle told her that's what her son's name is. She specifically raised her son to be the leader that Humanity needed because of that incident. Who would that boy have been if not for that incident? Would he even exist?
    All prudent questions and I’m not saying you’re wrong either. I will say this is why I love and hate time travel.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Yes.

the electric slide all day every day

I believe the outer limits said it best. :

There is an old proverb that says: 'Be careful what you wish for, for it might come true.' And if your wish is for immortality, it is something you'll have to live with...for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Yes.

I would document every event as possible. Give accurate first hand insight into all events.
    How would you document the events though?

Only if it is immortality through advance nano technology so I do not get "stuck"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    yes, but i wouldn't change any events, changing things that complicated and interwoven even if you mean well can have a lot of horrible ramifications, no ww1 = no penicillin, no Hitler = no end to colonialism e.t.c e.t.c

what i would do however is make a lot of money by betting on the outcomes of events setting me up for and eternity of luxury and also allowing me to massively invest in space flight, because i dont wanna still be on the rock when the sun expands and im unable to die.

- - - Updated - - -

where did you get a picture of my ex gf ?

So I can’t kill baby Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Transhumanism View Post
    How would you document the events though?
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."