Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    That's kind of like saying spring and summer block parties aren't social. They are; a certain kind of interaction but engagement nonetheless. This stuff used to happen all the time, generally pre-Cata/Mists before Cata scoured server population and Mists careened in the shopping lists direction. And in a tinier world with more relevance to surroundings, it might happen quite a bit.
    You're comparing a live, off-line event with a video game event. If you don't see the difference between the two, you clearly have no idea what actually being social means.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    You're comparing a live, off-line event with a video game event. If you don't see the difference between the two, you clearly have no idea what actually being social means.
    Or, since you're clever enough to understand analogies, more about your discomfort with defending a sweeping statement.

But my post was for others to read, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    Or, since you're clever enough to understand analogies, more about your discomfort with defending a sweeping statement.

But my post was for others to read, too.
    What?

"Hey, I was playing WoW yesterday and spent 6 hours with people online that I can't really see, hear, touch, etc. and we killed all of these virtual cartoons. I have no idea what anyone's name is and I never left my chair--I'm social!"

versus

"Hey, I went to this block party yesterday and spent 6 hours interacting with real, tangible people in person, actually talked to them, danced with them and was required to leave my apartment in order to do so--I'm social!"

Flawed analogy. Unless the block party attendee was like sitting behind a bush and just watching everyone else, in which case they weren't actually participating in anything. I get that there are elements of social behavior in video games and everything but comparing online and offline activities just isn't the same thing. We're not in Ready Player One here. This is World of Warcraft, where the pinnacle of genuine "socialization" is talking to people in discord.

Socializing in video games will always be limited by the technological limitations of being able to interact with other people. Until there's some Matrix-esque invention that allows for complete and total immersion, what you experience is just a lesser form of socializing with other people. It's like this whole super weak argument for the 'community' I keep seeing. Outside of your guild, there is no real community, just people pursuing objectives cooperatively (sometimes) that require no one to communicate at all if they don't want to.

If 1 million people are all 'playing' the lotto, does that mean there's a lotto 'community'?

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I am at work.
    You still have 1 more day. It goes offline tomorrow @ 6pm
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    What?

"Hey, I was playing WoW yesterday and spent 6 hours with people online that I can't really see, hear, touch, etc. and we killed all of these virtual cartoons. I have no idea what anyone's name is and I never left my chair--I'm social!"

versus

"Hey, I went to this block party yesterday and spent 6 hours interacting with real, tangible people in person, actually talked to them, danced with them and was required to leave my apartment in order to do so--I'm social!"

Flawed analogy. Unless the block party attendee was like sitting behind a bush and just watching everyone else, in which case they weren't actually participating in anything. I get that there are elements of social behavior in video games and everything but comparing online and offline activities just isn't the same thing. We're not in Ready Player One here. This is World of Warcraft, where the pinnacle of genuine "socialization" is talking to people in discord.

Socializing in video games will always be limited by the technological limitations of being able to interact with other people. Until there's some Matrix-esque invention that allows for complete and total immersion, what you experience is just a lesser form of socializing with other people. It's like this whole super weak argument for the 'community' I keep seeing. Outside of your guild, there is no real community, just people pursuing objectives cooperatively (sometimes) that require no one to communicate at all if they don't want to.

If 1 million people are all 'playing' the lotto, does that mean there's a lotto 'community'?
    I would argue VR Chat is a very social game. Not "as good" as the real deal, but certainly to a much greater level than WoW for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I am at work.
    Bad news I was wrong 6 pm today.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Thanks guys! Thanks to you launch experience will be bit better :P
    Maybe it wont be free from what was going on, but at least it will be bit smoother