Poll: Do you plan on gaming forever?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think I started gaming when I was 3, not well of course, but as far back as I can remember I've gamed every day of my life in those 30 years

minus:
    -when I was grounded
    -when my dad took a hammer to my N64
    -when I enlisted and was in boot camp
    -when I was doing training in the desert for weeks on end

Nothing will get in the way of me gaming now, I intentionally work my life and schedule around being able to play.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I hope so , but sadly every day i grow older i find new games less and less appealing . Though every now and then a game like Sekiro comes out and gives me hope !

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been gaming my entire life, don't see a reason I'd stop..

15+ Year Old Account
    Most likely yes in one way or another. I'm playing drastically less nowadays than before though.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Its most likely I will be a gamer forever, I just dont get a kick out of watching TV. I prefer to play games.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, the older I get the less patience I have for young players (patience may not be the best word for it). I still enjoy JRPGs and games such as Destiny with a more mature audience.
    Games have changed, I have changed.
    We will see.

Yes, I will most likely always be a gamer. Wifey just got me a steering wheel and pedals set for the PS4 so will be heavily investing time into GT Sport until Classic I expect!
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    its your prerogative and all, but for a lot of us - being part of a group means sharing interests with that group. if i want to talk about games, its kinda hard to do with someone who doesn't play, just like discussing an episode of a show you or they don't watch. its just not interesting to one or more of the parties in the conversation. so what DO you talk about? small talk? weather? your jobs? i mean to each their own, but I'd rather talk about something that interests me AND the person or persons I'm chatting with. something we can discuss or debate or just reminisce about. something in common, a good starting point.

your interests and hobbies are not your entire identity. they are part of your identity though and there is nothing wrong or childish with being open about it. identifying yourself with what you enjoy allows other people into the same thing to know that you could have a lovely conversation about said thing.

as for the topic. yeah, I'll be gaming for as long as my health allows it. the truth about adulthood and I wish I remembered exactly who said this, but I roughly quote: "the truth about being older is that you still have all the same weird interests, you just cannot turn your head all the way to the left anymore"

- - - Updated - - -

you'd be surprised how many people DO identify as movie enthusiasts or movie buffs. some have blogs, they meet and go to movies together, etc etc. its why so many various interest based clubs exist. people identify as crafters, artists, climbers, amateur cooking enthusiasts, miniaturists, gardeners, beekeepers (yes its a hobby too) etc. because some of us like to meet and engage with other people who enjoy the same thing we do. bounce ideas off each other, recommendations, or just discuss something we enjoyed recently and not have the other person's eyes glaze over.
    Sorry for late post but healthy people discuss themselves and not external sources of media. It is a really shallow way to live if all people are discussing are there external media related things. Sure I talked about game of thrones for 20 minutes but the majority of my time is discussing our lives. Your life should not revolve around TV shows and video games.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoFett View Post
    Sorry for late post but healthy people discuss themselves and not external sources of media. It is a really shallow way to live if all people are discussing are there external media related things. Sure I talked about game of thrones for 20 minutes but the majority of my time is discussing our lives. Your life should not revolve around TV shows and video games.
    there is so much projection and judgement in this post I have to question just how healthy you if the only healthy conversation you think should be is talking about your lives.

but then again to each their own, if you want to limit yourself to only talking about "your lives" be my guest. you do NOT however get to decide that its shallow or not something one should be talking about.

and I love how you don't get the difference between "having your life revolve around something" and having your CONVERSATIONS revolve around something.

edited. something has occurred to me as I was just chatting with my SO. if gaming is such a casual thing for you that you don't even call yourself a label of any kind, if you are someone who thinks that its not healthy to focus on external media.. why are you on a gaming forum? why are you on a forum that specifically caters to ..well... gamers?
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-05-26 at 02:32 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Probably. I'll be 34 in a week and have been gaming in some form or other since I was barely old enough to walk. I wouldn't say I spend an excessive amount of time gaming (maybe 2-3 hours in the later part of the night, if even that these days), but yeah, it's a hobby that's not going to go away.

If I ever get married, gaming is going to be one of those "this is something I do, deal with it" things that will be discussed with my potential wife before we start living together and/or talking about marriage. As long as I'm not prioritizing gaming above all else and taking it to unhealthy levels, there's nothing wrong with it as a hobby.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-05-28 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    there is so much projection and judgement in this post I have to question just how healthy you if the only healthy conversation you think should be is talking about your lives.

but then again to each their own, if you want to limit yourself to only talking about "your lives" be my guest. you do NOT however get to decide that its shallow or not something one should be talking about.

and I love how you don't get the difference between "having your life revolve around something" and having your CONVERSATIONS revolve around something.

edited. something has occurred to me as I was just chatting with my SO. if gaming is such a casual thing for you that you don't even call yourself a label of any kind, if you are someone who thinks that its not healthy to focus on external media.. why are you on a gaming forum? why are you on a forum that specifically caters to ..well... gamers?
    You can answer that question by looking at my post number...

It's not a big part of my life and I only come here once in a while to check things. In this case I had some free time at work so here I am to check if I had a reply. If majority of your time is talking about external media sources and not your personal life that is the definition of shallow.

Perfect example 10 minutes ago at the office. Was talking about how I want to read more but I continue to either just watch TV or youtube on my free time. We had a discussion on how people always take the passive route and the path of least resistance naturally due to our nature. Yet I did not discuss for a second of what I watched or what I was watching since they are "shallow" topics that are unimportant to the subject matter. Healthy people are inetrested in their lives and other peoples lives and not these distractions. Hence they are distractions and "escapes". Video games are a form of escapism and should not be a context that dictates your life.
    Last edited by KronoFett; 2019-05-27 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Always.

Like I've told my wife if she ever made me chose gamer or her ill chose gaming. Gaming I 100% know will be there for me tomorrow, I don't 100% know if she will.

She fully agrees.
    Wow That doesn't sound too promising hahaha... joking man I'm in the same position as yours, except my wife didn't really agree with the reasoning

i dont know 100% what future me will want to do. but im pretty sure i will.

the idea that gaming is only for kids, is a thing of the past.

I am almost 45, and still happily game, married with two kids, thanks God my wife is a gamer too
    The problem as I see it is that, to properly play some games (World of Warcraft for example), you need time and commitment, something that no matter how hard us old farts can try, we will never reach the amount of time a youngster without responsibilities has. That in turn disqualifies all of us elders from proper competition / challanges.

Despite that, gaming is still fun and as such I'll continue playing no matter the results I can achieve with the little time I have.

7+ Year Old Account
    Since me and my hubby met while studying game design and game programming we were kind of destined to forever like gaming. And since he works with making games we always have the newest consoles in the house with most of the newest games in the genres we like. We are both way past 30 but we still game actively.
    While everyone else are out drinkin' we are sitting in our living room on each our console/PC enjoying the world of games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a gamer now, and never will be..

But I will most likely be a computer player for the rest of my life..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Part of me still is trying to find something fun or enjoyable to play, The other is greatly diminishing with every year and find myself thinking about diving back into MTG. Don't get me wrong I am fully aware there are great games out there but they just dont hit that this is fun spot much anymore.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    We read about people who got jobs and a family - responsibilities- who can no longer game, because they simply do not have time. Eventually, some of us become those people.

Some of us game because it’s fun, and some of us are escaping dark times.

Will you still game when you’re old and saggy or are you just playing for the time being.
    I will always need something to keep my mind occupied. Especially when my old and saggy, because once my mind gets working on what's next, the eventual answer is always that we die.

why give up on having fun? I have less free time than I used to but I still manage to find time to game and have an offline life too

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I'm almost forty now. I have a good paying job ($62k a year for 32 hours a week), married with two kids, my own house... and I am lucky that my wife is a gamer as well. Not as much as me, but enough.
    We always imagine someday to have lan parties at our senior residence instead of bingo events, you know? Or, hopefully, for technology to be able to link our minds directly into the games, once we're too old to use a computer. Heck, for all I care, once I am too old to do anything, put my body in a bacta tank and hook my brain up to the internet or something.

Edit: But I have to say, I don't game as long and often as I used to. 10 years ago I could start on a friday afternoon and play until 4 or 5 next morning. Sleep until 12, go straight back to gaming. Those times are over.
    Last edited by Naramag; 2019-05-27 at 08:18 AM.