Poll: Do you plan on gaming forever?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Will you always be a gamer?

We read about people who got jobs and a family - responsibilities- who can no longer game, because they simply do not have time. Eventually, some of us become those people.

Some of us game because it’s fun, and some of us are escaping dark times.

Will you still game when you’re old and saggy or are you just playing for the time being.

Most likely still playing. I mean, I'm in my mid-30s, good full-time job married with two young kids and I still find time to play. Not near as much as I used to obviously, but I make time when I can. Until Silksong comes out, then everyone else can fuck off, I'm busy.

When the generation of people who've grown up with games are old and saggy it'll be the perfect time to spend a whole bunch of time gaming again. I eagerly look forward to the future where the two largest demographics of gamers are the young and the elderly.

Gonna be buried with my pc.
    Do you hear the voices too?

At 30 I would have said that I don't know.

However, I have experienced a renaissance in gaming this generation. I feel that the actual games being made now are so plentiful and of such high quality, that even if games stopped releasing today, I would be playing my backlog until the day I die.

The poster above referenced Hollow Knight. This game alone is a game I could spend hundreds of hours in. Most people here have never played it, I would assume. A Plague Tale: Innocence seemingly out of the blue gave us a narrative that is unique and excellent. There have been SO MANY excellent single player games this gen, that I simply can't play them all.

So yeah, I'll almost certainly be gaming until I die. Here's hoping that happens in old age, but no matter when it happens, I will most likely have died a gamer.

Some of my backlog+games I've played in no particular order, that released recently enough to have decent graphics/gameplay:

1. Resident Evil 2 remake
    2. BotW
    3. Mario Odyssey
    4. DD: Dark Arisen
    5. Hollow Knight
    6. Gris
    7. Nioh
    8. Sekiro
    9. Dark Souls series
    10. Bloodborne
    11. Dragon Age 4
    12. Red Dead Redemption 2
    13. The Amazing Spider-Man
    14. Persona 5 / Octopath / DQ XI
    15. Ys VIII
    16. XBC2
    17. FFXII Zodiac Age
    18. Horizon Zero Dawn
    19. Every Fighting Game(too many good ones to list)
    20. Every Uncharted Game
    21. The Witcher 3
    22. Divinity Original Sin 2
    23. DMC5
    24. TLOU / SotC Remastered / TLG
    25. New Tomb Raider series(all 3 games)
    26. Inside
    27. Bayonetta 2
    28. Mario Kart 8 / DK Tropical Freeze
    29. Forza / Gran Turismo
    30. Into the Breach / Dead Cells / Gungeon
    31. Celeste / Undertale / Cuphead / Stardew / Shovel Knight / Downwell / Night in the Woods / Inside / The Witness / Bastion / Braid / Hellblade
    32. Until Dawn
    33. Katana Zero / Binding of Isaac / Obra Dinn
    34. Disgaea V
    35. God of War
    36. A Plague Tale: Innocence / Vampyr

That's not even counting online primary games(a list almost as long), or games I dislike, or even games that I love and just forgot about. When I think of just the games coming out this year that I'm excited about, I can't wait. Code Vein, Fire Emblem, Pokemon(hopefully), maybe TLoU2, maybe Death Stranding just off the top of my head. That's also not counting any of the excellent 3ds games I love.

I mean with the Wii we had a lot of shovelware. Now our shovelware is like 8/10 - 10/10 quality indie games.

We also have new types of gaming being created. Things like portable and mobile gaming. Streaming platforms. We have VR games beginning to be decent. We have all sorts of crazy games being offered on Steam. We have high end hardware with real mainstream processors being released by probably 2 of the big 3 right around the corner. We have games with abusive monetary practices. We have games that now seem to offer gambling right in the game.....so yeah not all new types of games are good, but having many new types of games if very exciting for the future. We have games you can play with cardboard folded cutout projects, lol.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-05-23 at 08:19 PM.

Yes, so long as I can physically game I will.

ive been gaming since gaming began,yes im old but cant see me stopping now.

Yes, I have been playing video games for the past 21 years, while I am still relatively young in my late twenties, I doubt my position on video games is gonna change is grow older. Video games and fishing will remain my two favourite hobbies from now until I am 6 feet under.

Pretty damn sure I will. Best entertainment medium we have. If we have time to watch movies or series yiou have time to play games.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    We read about people who got jobs and a family - responsibilities- who can no longer game, because they simply do not have time. Eventually, some of us become those people.

Some of us game because it’s fun, and some of us are escaping dark times.

Will you still game when you’re old and saggy or are you just playing for the time being.
    Always.

Like I've told my wife if she ever made me chose gamer or her ill chose gaming. Gaming I 100% know will be there for me tomorrow, I don't 100% know if she will.

She fully agrees.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The time I spend on it will change, but I will always play games in some capacity

it's such a childish thing to identify yourself as a "gamer". I understand little kids doing this but not grown adults. I'm simply a person that plays a game sometimes.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. It's an ever evolving hobby.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KronoFett View Post
    it's such a childish thing to identify yourself as a "gamer". I understand little kids doing this but not grown adults. I'm simply a person that plays a game sometimes.
    No real difference to People that call themselves car enthusiasts, or Sports fans etc.

"Oh you're a Weightlifter?"
    "No I'm just a Person that lifts Weights sometimes"

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Most hobbyists identify with their hobby. Why is it childish for gamers to do so?
    I play magic the gathering sometimes. I have my own identity and don't need to put labels on myself to belong to some sort of a group of people. It's extremely childish. But it is fine many people need to find some sort of identity but that is normally something for children who have zero idea who they are. If you are a grown adult and identify as a GAMER that is really really weird. You can do an activity and enjoy it without needing to put labels and put yourself in a box with others.

Ask yourself would you wear one of those "I AM A GAMER" t-Shirts?

Then you are a gamer. Much easier to say than "I am a person who play games". The childish part is just projection.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ask yourself would you wear one of those "I AM A GAMER" t-Shirts?
    Do you find it weird if people wear Sport Jerseys?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Yep. It's an ever evolving hobby.

- - - Updated - - -

No real difference to People that call themselves car enthusiasts, or Sports fans etc.
    I actually talked to my co worker 2 days ago about "sports fans" Think for a moment, you are a fan of a team simply due to biased reasons unrelated to said people who play on the team.

For example lets say you are a "New York Giants" fan. Majority of people are fans simply because they live in New York or live within the same region. These fans do not personally know any of the players, have zero stake in the teams construction, and are simply attached due to biased notions. It's almost primitive and tribal in a way to be a fan in this way. Yet most people are fans because of this. It's no better than to identify yourself as a "gamer". It's the simple need to want to belong to a group of people without having any actual logical reason than biased reasoning.

The players can change every year or are drafted. What are people attached to? Just a name? Sounds childish right? I don't need to be part of a group and label myself.
    Last edited by KronoFett; 2019-05-24 at 10:50 AM.

IMO, whether you're a gamer or not is about whether you play games and consider yourself one.
    You may have less time than before, hell, you may just squeeze in 30 mins on a casual game every few days but if you still love games and still play them, then what are you? I will always be playing something.

10+ Year Old Account
    47 years old. Still a gamer (not hardcore in any way). I have time, being single without child.

I grew up in the Atari / NES days and became a gamer. Graduated from high school then college as a gamer. Got married and had kids as a gamer. Maintained a career as a gamer. Sure, to accomplish these things sometimes I had to spend a weekend away from the keyboard or controller when other wise I would have wanted to, but I always came back. It is a hobby. Now I do have things I have to do before I game but if your responsible enough to get there you can see plenty of time is availiable to continue to play. For sure once the kids got old enough to play video games themselves because I play them with them. What an amazing time that is for sure.