Poll: Do you plan on gaming forever?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    We read about people who got jobs and a family - responsibilities- who can no longer game, because they simply do not have time. Eventually, some of us become those people.

Some of us game because it’s fun, and some of us are escaping dark times.

Will you still game when you’re old and saggy or are you just playing for the time being.
    Frankly those that blame a job, family, responsibilities for their reasons for not being able to game are just making excuses, have a real shitty real world life ATM,are not really into gaming, or have poor time management skills. I had a family, a job that worked mr 60+ hours a week, and a ton of responsibilities and still managed to squeeze in a few hours a week for my hobby not once neglecting my non gaming responsibilities. I even had time to while starting up and running my own business.

Now That I am retired, I have all the time in the world and find I don't really game anymore thatn I normally did. I fill my time with other things, but I will still game until I can no long do so.

cont.

And again my reasoning for not wanting to be attached to any said group is just because we share a common interest doesn't mean I want to be associated with these people. I have many friends with many different hobbies and simply enjoy their company due to their personality and character. I have friends that play games but we don't identify ourselves as gamers. I have a friend that watches sports but is not a sports fanatic. The group I am attached to is based entirely on character and not on interest. To identify as a gamer is so extremely below what I would want to label myself. I play games, I work, I eat food, I play hearthstone, etc. I can do many things and enjoy them without the need to seek identity from outside sources.

yep i've shift away from PC games to consoles and mostly mobile gaming due to time and other reasons but still gaming daily.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KronoFett View Post
    I actually talked to my co worker 2 days ago about "sports fans" Think for a moment, you are a fan of a team simply due to biased reasons unrelated to said people who play on the team.

For example lets say you are a "New York Giants" fan. Majority of people are fans simply because they live in New York or live within the same region. These fans do not personally know any of the players, have zero stake in the teams construction, and are simply attached due to biased notions. It's almost primitive and tribal in a way to be a fan in this way. Yet most people are fans because of this. It's no better than to identify yourself as a "gamer". It's the simple need to want to belong to a group of people without having any actual logical reason than biased reasoning.

The players can change every year or are drafted. What are people attached to? Just a name? Sounds childish right? I don't need to be part of a group and label myself.
    Literally no one I know that is a Sports Fan goes for the Team in their Region. So that kind of throws that out a bit. I'm not a gamer because I want to belong to a group. I'm a Gamer because it is what I do primarily as a hobby in my Life.

Also, I've always found People that need to prove how much more Adult they are than others tend to be the more childish and/or pathetic People.

Gaming is a hobby. Everyone has the time doing a hobby, even half an hour a week.

As for me I grew up on gaming since the Atari 2600. And I shall be gaming still in my twilight years.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Literally no one I know that is a Sports Fan goes for the Team in their Region. So that kind of throws that out a bit. I'm not a gamer because I want to belong to a group. I'm a Gamer because it is what I do primarily as a hobby in my Life.

Also, I've always found People that need to prove how much more Adult they are than others tend to be the more childish and/or pathetic People.
    Now you are getting defensive and name calling bravo!

Your reasoning that you don't know anyone is not realistic in the slightest. If your local team is in a game you are more likely to cheer for them than the other team. You are dreaming a situation to validate your views. If you cheer for your country in the Olympics you are cheering for your country and not the competitor which you might have zero information on or how they are as a person.

Don't pretend people don't do this...it's ridiculous

"Always" has the potential to be a very long time. Who knows what my interests might be in 50 years? Hell, despite currently spending the vast majority of my freetime playing videogames, I don't make it my entire identity regardless, it's simply another one of several hobbies.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Early 30's, good job, home, just married on the 1st. Still my favorite way to spend time when I'm not doing anything else.

Will you always be a reader? will you always be a movie watcher? will you always be a evening stroller?

I never get the overhwelming impact people put on one school of media as some defining trait like its some ancient bloodline or something. Its your bing bing wahoo entertainment. You play a game or you don't. Its not some huge sacrifice or trauma to get though. Its a medium of entertainment to pass the time. How is it any different to the people who spend every day sitting on their ass staring at a tv show doing nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Will you always be a reader? will you always be a movie watcher? will you always be a evening stroller?

I never get the overhwelming impact people put on one school of media as some defining trait like its some ancient bloodline or something. Its your bing bing wahoo entertainment. You play a game or you don't. Its not some huge sacrifice or trauma to get though. Its a medium of entertainment to pass the time. How is it any different to the people who spend every day sitting on their ass staring at a tv show doing nothing?
    I am a "Movie watcher enthusiast" said no one ever lol. I have no idea why so many people want to identify themselves as gamers so badly.

My retirement plan is to finally finish off my backlog. If I stopped adding to it now, I MAY could pull that off.

Of course who knows if my backlog will still be playable in ~20 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until arthritis kicks in at least :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

cont.

And again my reasoning for not wanting to be attached to any said group is just because we share a common interest doesn't mean I want to be associated with these people. I have many friends with many different hobbies and simply enjoy their company due to their personality and character. I have friends that play games but we don't identify ourselves as gamers. I have a friend that watches sports but is not a sports fanatic. The group I am attached to is based entirely on character and not on interest. To identify as a gamer is so extremely below what I would want to label myself. I play games, I work, I eat food, I play hearthstone, etc. I can do many things and enjoy them without the need to seek identity from outside sources.
    its your prerogative and all, but for a lot of us - being part of a group means sharing interests with that group. if i want to talk about games, its kinda hard to do with someone who doesn't play, just like discussing an episode of a show you or they don't watch. its just not interesting to one or more of the parties in the conversation. so what DO you talk about? small talk? weather? your jobs? i mean to each their own, but I'd rather talk about something that interests me AND the person or persons I'm chatting with. something we can discuss or debate or just reminisce about. something in common, a good starting point.

your interests and hobbies are not your entire identity. they are part of your identity though and there is nothing wrong or childish with being open about it. identifying yourself with what you enjoy allows other people into the same thing to know that you could have a lovely conversation about said thing.

as for the topic. yeah, I'll be gaming for as long as my health allows it. the truth about adulthood and I wish I remembered exactly who said this, but I roughly quote: "the truth about being older is that you still have all the same weird interests, you just cannot turn your head all the way to the left anymore"

- - - Updated - - -

I am a "Movie watcher enthusiast" said no one ever lol. I have no idea why so many people want to identify themselves as gamers so badly.
    you'd be surprised how many people DO identify as movie enthusiasts or movie buffs. some have blogs, they meet and go to movies together, etc etc. its why so many various interest based clubs exist. people identify as crafters, artists, climbers, amateur cooking enthusiasts, miniaturists, gardeners, beekeepers (yes its a hobby too) etc. because some of us like to meet and engage with other people who enjoy the same thing we do. bounce ideas off each other, recommendations, or just discuss something we enjoyed recently and not have the other person's eyes glaze over.

Will probably get less when I get older, but I will always be doing it.

I think gaming will always be a part of my life but it will not be my life.

I know people who sit at home without a job or anything doing nothing but playing games all the time just because it's fun.

And then i know people who sit at home without a job doing nothing but getting high/drunk all the time just because it's fun.

I'm in my mid 20 and don't play as much as i used to do when i was 16 and i'm fine with that.

And recently i'm playing less and less games.

I'm into my 40s now and have an abundance of free time, but I find myself enjoing gaming less and less. I'm starting to become the old man that I use to make fun of because I have no patience dealing with people 1/2 or even 1/3 my age in a lot of games I enjoy. Single player games are still fun, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was pretty much done with gaming other than a few major releases by the time I turn 50.

I would assume so, I've already lost time to working 6 days a week but its hard to imagine ever not playing at all.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I'm into my 40s now and have an abundance of free time, but I find myself enjoing gaming less and less. I'm starting to become the old man that I use to make fun of because I have no patience dealing with people 1/2 or even 1/3 my age in a lot of games I enjoy. Single player games are still fun, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was pretty much done with gaming other than a few major releases by the time I turn 50.
    I pretty much stick to singleplayer games nowadays, because even among the minority of people you run into online that aren't total aggro trolls, the rest are largely sycophants that can't take responsibility for their own enjoyment of the game. I'm almost disappointed that "bots" aren't utilized more often in singleplayer games, because I find that the simulation of online play is more fun than the reality if done well.

When I was 19 I was getting my driver's licence, working, studying and dealing with lots of drama an I still managed to game 3+ hours a day, if you love to do something you will find the time for it.