Poll: Do you plan on gaming forever?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KronoFett View Post
    You can answer that question by looking at my post number...

It's not a big part of my life and I only come here once in a while to check things. In this case I had some free time at work so here I am to check if I had a reply. If majority of your time is talking about external media sources and not your personal life that is the definition of shallow.

Perfect example 10 minutes ago at the office. Was talking about how I want to read more but I continue to either just watch TV or youtube on my free time. We had a discussion on how people always take the passive route and the path of least resistance naturally due to our nature. Yet I did not discuss for a second of what I watched or what I was watching since they are "shallow" topics that are unimportant to the subject matter. Healthy people are inetrested in their lives and other peoples lives and not these distractions. Hence they are distractions and "escapes". Video games are a form of escapism and should not be a context that dictates your life.
    you and i have very different, one might even say opposite definitions of shallow.

our every day lives tend to be routine. which is why people consistently through millennia, even before we invented writing - expressed ourselves creatively. art, stories, music, and now combining them into interactive games... its human expression. but you believe what you want and keep living your judgmental little life, sneering at those who want a bit more out of it than endless stream of mundanity and routine.

I'm in my 40s now and have been playing games since the late 1970s. As time goes on I spend less of it playing games, and some types of games that I used to enjoy no longer interest me. Twitchy shooters and games with tons of stuff happening on screen leave me cold now. I much prefer games like Skyrim, Fallout, and Witcher, games that I can immerse myself in without being overloaded with action. I hope I continue to enjoy these types of games, but we shall see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    you and i have very different, one might even say opposite definitions of shallow.

our every day lives tend to be routine. which is why people consistently through millennia, even before we invented writing - expressed ourselves creatively. art, stories, music, and now combining them into interactive games... its human expression. but you believe what you want and keep living your judgmental little life, sneering at those who want a bit more out of it than endless stream of mundanity and routine.
    Shallow-not exhibiting, requiring, or capable of serious thought.

You can justify all your want. Talking about a game or show is not "serious" thought. Hence it is shallow...

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    - - - Updated - - -

You can justify all your want. Talking about a game or show is not "serious" thought. Hence it is shallow...
    You make it sound as if it's something bad. I would agree to that, if that is the only activity someone does. But if not, there is no problem with shallow, no thought requiring activities. People need those to unwind.

10+ Year Old Account
    - - - Updated - - -

And why isn't it serious thought? It's an art form just like painting or music.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’ve had stressful times during crisis periods at work where I had to quit PC gaming for 2 or 3 months purely due to time constraints. Even then I’d fuck about on some low commitment PS4 game for like 20-30 minutes while I unwind, and my wife puts a hot plate of food in front of me. But in essence, I’ll never stop. It’s too deeply ingrained in me.

My first PC game was Kings Quest in 1987. Before that my first console was an Atari in 1984. Turning 40 in a few months, and I’m still committed to progression in WoW and still play Dota every day.

What has changed though is up until about 6 or 7 years ago I played a huge variety of games, and a variety of genres.

Now it’s really just WoW, Dota and the Battlefield franchise. And I’m kinda ditching BF, haven’t played in a while.
    “The best way to win an argument is to begin by being right.” -Jill Ruckelshaus

Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    You make it sound as if it's something bad. I would agree to that, if that is the only activity someone does. But if not, there is no problem with shallow, no thought requiring activities. People need those to unwind.
    Exactly I am not debating you never talk about it. But if most of your day or talks is about this stuff that is extremely shallow. If I am talking to someone and their conversations go as deep as, "what is your favorite video game" I am not going to want to stick around with them too long.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    And why isn't it serious thought? It's an art form just like painting or music.
    Still an escape. I wouldn't want to talk with someone about "music" for a long time either. My conversations with music while I have a few are never the main subject or center point of any conversation.

Maybe. New games are mostly the same ol' boring crap, been there done that. But there's still quality titles getting released like God of War. As long as Playstations will get good exclusives, I will be a gamer.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Kind of a stupid topic, ofc I will keep on gaming. As long as there are good games to play and my body can do it. It's the same for every other kind of media. Would you seriously ask some if they would stop reading books, listening to music or watching films/tv/streaming? Maybe the format of the medium will change but the activity will not. For gaming that is true even more so in the era of toilet gaming.

3+ Year Old Account
    As long as I breathe and with functional arms, I'll play games. Since 2015 Summer,I also worked in Gaming industry.

Most of the girls ive dated asked me this same question. F yea...gamer forever! I know friends parents in their mid-late 60s that game. Look at that old dude that played PokeGo on a bunch of mobile phones.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

I voted no. I've been gaming on and off for about 40 years, and feel like there's very little out, or coming out, that's going to pique my interest. Nor am I even remotely interested in the current extortion process that seems to be status quo with games at this point.

Happy I grew up when I did, and got to experience what I did in terms of gaming.

Can't see myself doing much gaming in 5 years once I finish grad school, start a career, and look to settle down. Gaming is fun but it'll be an "only in small doses" thing at that point because I just can't justify the time these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

- - - Updated - - -

if the only way you can think about talking about video games or books or any other form of creative media is "what is your favorite, insert here" then you are even more shallow than I thought you were.

but to be fair, that would bore me as well. "what's your favorite whatever" is a question on a poll you might waste a few minutes on while waiting for a doctor's appointment or something of that nature. discussing any sort of art form, processing it - takes a bit more then that.
    meh /shrug

some years ago, SO and I still kept in touch with our college group and found ourselves sitting at this overpriced mediocre tea shop, listening to the iteration of the same exact conversation about life we've been hearing for years at this point - well job names have changed here and there, and sometimes relationships shuffled, but at the core it was still the same complaining about bosses, complaining about kids, gossiping about coworkers and families and teachers and diapers and we looked at each other, made our excuses, left early and stopped meeting up with that group, because what... a waste... of time. we were bored out of our minds, but.. this is what you are supposed to do, right? talk and care about "real life", just so you have people to ask to help you move or something, maybe in a future...

leisure activities are technically a waste of time no matter what you end up doing, but life is short, and if I'm going to delegate parts of my days to things like that, to spending time with other people? you bet your ass I better actualy enjoy it and have fun with it and them, have my mind actualy be engaged instead of cruising on autopilot.

the irony is.. creative expressions of various kinds is what engages our minds the most.

it's such a childish thing to identify yourself as a "gamer". I understand little kids doing this but not grown adults. I'm simply a person that plays a game sometimes.
    What is this, nerd hierarchy? "I'm just a casual gamer. I'm not a nerd like those other guys." Get over yourself.

I always thought as I got older, eventually, I'd wake up one day and just be an old man who hated everything. That I would one day no longer enjoy games or anything of the sort. It hasn't happened yet and I'm in my mid 30s. It was hard for my gf to accept that part of me for a while, but it has become the activity I do to relax. Sometimes I read, sometimes we watch a movie or a tv series, or I game. And as long as my motor functions stay intact, I think I will continue to do so until I no longer can.

Cant see any reason why i would stop. I've been playing video games since I was 4. I'm 38 now. Gaming has been more a part of my life than pretty much anything, aside from, know you, breathing and eating. Heck, my father is 70 and still plays games(He currently has my PS4).

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    hard to say I have less interest in games now than I have in the past mainly due to being always online and not really wanting to group up with randoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as good gameplay and stories exist in games, I will play them.

I've been playing video games since my first memory when I was 2. I'm 31 and still play video games. It's absolutely not going to change and I can say with certainty I will be playing video games until the day I die. Maybe the day I die, too, if I can move.