Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Julian Assange Hit With 18 Federal Charges

Each carrying 5-10 years, so a potential of 180 years total for the 2010 leak of classified documents with Chelsea Manning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.e30ae819438a

10+ Year Old Account
    Bet he wishes he cleaned his cat's shit now, hm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And now the thread is over.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Your machine only kill fascists when it's in order. It never is.

(No vested interest in the topic, tbh; I just like the avatar)

But people I love Wikileaks.

Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    But people I love Wikileaks.
    That was 2015/16 Trump. This is 2019 Trump who doesn't know anything about Wikileaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    That was 2015/16 Trump. This is 2019 Trump who doesn't know anything about Wikileaks.
    oh yeah forgot..the guy with the best memory ever (roll that montage) doesn't remember Wikileaks, my bad.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    At least I get to see who is for freedom of press and who is for the perpetuation of the American Empire. Got one already, these topics are great for them to out themselves.

As for Assange, he still has a lot of supporters, obviously not in these forums, but such is life. At least he sacrificed his life for something that matters.
    It isn't a freedom of press issue if he helped Chelsea Manning break into the servers to get the info. From my understanding, that is what happened. Which is why he is being charged with the Espionage act.

At least I get to see who is for freedom of press and who is for the perpetuation of the American Empire. Got one already, these topics are great for them to out themselves.

As for Assange, he still has a lot of supporters, obviously not in these forums, but such is life. At least he sacrificed his life for something that matters.
    If he had simply received information and published it, I could have all manner of insults for him for sure, but it would not be a crime in the US.

He stands accused of working with manning to obtain information they did not have access to. That is a crime.

Getting leaked hacked information from contact and being charged with a crime for reporting... - Freedom of the press issue.

Getting leaked information from contact after aiding contact in hacking information... - not a freedom of the press issue.

Reporting that a mob boss just killed someone is not illegal

Helping said mob boss track down and kill someone... is.

If he doesn't get locked away for this, he'll get locked away for rape in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    If he doesn't get locked away for this, he'll get locked away for rape in Sweden.
    I don't even care where he goes just so long as he gets locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    He should have gone to Sweden lol. He would hang out there of needed after the 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Getting leaked information from contact after aiding contact in hacking information... - not a freedom of the press issue.
    You mean the thing he was unsuccessful in doing?

Will be interesting to see how this case plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Reporting that a mob boss just killed someone is not illegal

Helping said mob boss track down and kill someone... is.
    Wouldn't it be more like "Breaking into the mob bosses house to get the evidence.... is" - it's not like he was responsible for the actions *in* the leaks.

Sorry may seem like splitting hairs at this stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    All he needs to do is blow some dog whistles Trump's way and he'll get a pardon. A couple, 'remember how Wikileaks exposed Clinton' or some bullshit

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    All he needs to do is blow some dog whistles Trump's way and he'll get a pardon.
    Not now. He's still facing an increasingly growing impeachment risk. He's going to need to hold his pardons until people are talking about something else, such as "we just declared war on Iran".

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    All he needs to do is blow some dog whistles Trump's way and he'll get a pardon. A couple, 'remember how Wikileaks exposed Clinton' or some bullshit
    It'll be well after inauguration day before Assange is convicted. Trump will need to be re-elected if Assange has any hope of this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Wouldn't it be more like "Breaking into the mob bosses house to get the evidence.... is" - it's not like he was responsible for the actions *in* the leaks.

Sorry may seem like splitting hairs at this stage.
    The crime is the assistance.