Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    The Insane PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    19,922
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Is this seriously the biggest thing people are worried about right now? Like, not the actual story itself?
    Here, yes. It means everything.

    Other places? No.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Here, yes. It means everything.

    Other places? No.
    Welp. I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Welp. I honestly don't know how to respond to this.
    there is currently no canon way that he looks, people have just been talking about the swtor version that gave him a specific appearance.

    it is important how a character looks though, it's as much a part of the lore of that character as the choices they make. to disregard looks or gender is to disregard the character. i can't stand you up beside someone else and say he is you, can i? of course not.
    https://imgur.com/FX4poT6

    steve danuser - waifu cringelord

  4. #84
    The Lightbringer Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    It will be a boring movie. Video games are based on objectives to attain. Movies must be driven by the characters. A movie consisting of get starmap of Dantooine, get starmap from Manaan, get starmap of Nar Shadaa, get starmap from Tatooine, etc. would be very boring.




    Having a long and complicated storyline does not mean depth. I have seen a lot of stand alone movies that had more depth and meaning than the entire Star Wars saga. And it is also true of theater. A story doesn't need to be long with hundreds of characters to be great. More often than not, it only needs a few acts and three or four good characters. However, it is true that KotOR would work better as a TV show. What made KotOR great is not only the main quest for the Star Forge, but all the character sidestories that would make great "filler" episodes in a TV show, like Bacca's sword on Kashyyyk or Sunry's case on Manaan.

    The problem with KotOR is that, as a player, I was the hero of that game. I was involved with the action and characters. Watching it all over again on a screen, big or small, will never be as compelling. That's why I'd rather much prefer an original story with a new protagonist set in the same universe.
    Nar Shaddaa does not appear in KotoR.

    Taris, Dantooine, Tatooine, Manaan, Kashyyyk, Korriban and Rakata Prime/Lehon are the planets visited.

    Just pointing out, but over all I agree with your point. Though, I feel a series could work better than a movie or two.

    Similar to the Mandalorian, a telling of Revan's story as an 8 to 10 episode Disney + series could work.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  5. #85
    Titan Gallahadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beyond the 1% barrier.
    Posts
    13,839
    Tbh, I'd rather they made a movie about the Exile. Have the arc of "She followed Revan to war, and came back wounded" mention Revan loads, but never actually SHOW him. Leave him as this near mythical figure who started as a Jedi, became a Sith Lord, fucked everyone up, then vanished like a boss after saving the universe.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

    Blog Twenty Six is live! In which we discuss the ongoing compilation series HFAR, and share our new Playlist based on it.

    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/26-blog-26

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Nar Shaddaa does not appear in KotoR.

    Taris, Dantooine, Tatooine, Manaan, Kashyyyk, Korriban and Rakata Prime/Lehon are the planets visited.

    Just pointing out, but over all I agree with your point. Though, I feel a series could work better than a movie or two.

    Similar to the Mandalorian, a telling of Revan's story as an 8 to 10 episode Disney + series could work.
    An Old republic series would be amazing. But it would need an amazing movie to introduce it.

  7. #87
    There's so much eu stuff I don't know, a few years ago I read the crystal star, yesterday I was bored n checked youtube for it to remember the name of the 'monster' (Waru) n it seems people seriously hate that book, like it offends them personally...I mean, it's eu, why would they expect things to be good? Writers had complete freedom, so there's bound to be lots of poop..

    Waru, to me that was a cool mysterious creature, maybe the book wasn't so good, was a bunch of years ago i read it, but that creature was interesting. That blob was lonely, innocent! He never hurt anybody!

    ..I like it when there's mystery added to star wars, besides sith vs jedi
    Like the Nightsisters, Zeb doing his lasat magic stuff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sknAa4rmCA)

  8. #88
    never knew there was a playable version of Revan.. don't really care either way. my biggest gripe with the SW franchise is the constant regurgitation of the same old crap.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    there is currently no canon way that he looks, people have just been talking about the swtor version that gave him a specific appearance.

    it is important how a character looks though, it's as much a part of the lore of that character as the choices they make. to disregard looks or gender is to disregard the character. i can't stand you up beside someone else and say he is you, can i? of course not.
    I just mean that I don't know how to respond to the fact that the biggest (only?) issue that people are concerned about with the new movie is how Revan looks 'canonically'. I mean... I'm pretty sure it will be good enough regardless. If SWTOR lore gets slightly retconned in terms of Revan's default appearance, I probably won't lose any sleep over it.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    never knew there was a playable version of Revan.. don't really care either way. my biggest gripe with the SW franchise is the constant regurgitation of the same old crap.
    and there's plenty of mods out there to look exactly like him from swtor
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    there is currently no canon way that he looks, people have just been talking about the swtor version that gave him a specific appearance.

    it is important how a character looks though, it's as much a part of the lore of that character as the choices they make. to disregard looks or gender is to disregard the character. i can't stand you up beside someone else and say he is you, can i? of course not.
    Hang on, is SWTOR not canon? I thought everything made under Disney was considered canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada

  12. #92
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    14,103
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Hang on, is SWTOR not canon? I thought everything made under Disney was considered canon.
    Swtor is the one ongoing thing that isn’t canon because it was made as part of the Eu not Disney.

    Disney canon was only the movies and clone wars cartoon, but not the 2003 clone wars cartoon that’s non canon.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Is this seriously the biggest thing people are worried about right now? Like, not the actual story itself?
    I don't think its the biggest thing, but with the current Track record of adaptations and movies people can expect to be disappointed by shitty casting.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I don't think its the biggest thing, but with the current Track record of adaptations and movies people can expect to be disappointed by shitty casting.
    Casting is important. Looking identical to the SWTOR version of the character (especially if it's at the cost of good casting) is another story entirely.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I just mean that I don't know how to respond to the fact that the biggest (only?) issue that people are concerned about with the new movie is how Revan looks 'canonically'. I mean... I'm pretty sure it will be good enough regardless. If SWTOR lore gets slightly retconned in terms of Revan's default appearance, I probably won't lose any sleep over it.
    there's several posts of us talking about how the story should go.

    i am the most purist in terms of movie adaptation story, it should be either a condensed version of the kotor story, or it should be a part of revan's life we didn't see. perhaps they could use it to canonize swtor, show the last few months of revan's freedom, when he goes to challenge vitiate the first time. show scourge's betrayal, the death of the exile, and the start of the 300 years of imprisonment and torture of revan that drove him to the extremes he came to in swtor.
    https://imgur.com/FX4poT6

    steve danuser - waifu cringelord

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    there's several posts of us talking about how the story should go.

    i am the most purist in terms of movie adaptation story, it should be either a condensed version of the kotor story, or it should be a part of revan's life we didn't see. perhaps they could use it to canonize swtor, show the last few months of revan's freedom, when he goes to challenge vitiate the first time. show scourge's betrayal, the death of the exile, and the start of the 300 years of imprisonment and torture of revan that drove him to the extremes he came to in swtor.
    Italso doesn't have to follow the same story line of the game, it can predate it or post date it, but be in teh same world /time setting.

    i am also a purist, but I view an old republic movie as a star wars movie not a game adaptation movie even if they take the story from the game One of the reasons KoToR is so good is because it is from movie telling studio Lucas Films and storytelling game developer bioware. Tehse are story intensive games, where lore determines many facets and things about it. You are basicailly playing a story (which in my opinion is the highest form of etnertainment, becuas eyou're in the driving seat), it's not a game that has a story to make it more lively (like warcraft, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Street fighter and many of the game movies) already we see game movies that were based on more story driven games tend to do much better in the box office.

    FOr SWTOR, because of hte familiar star wars settings,, no one will feel it is a gmae movie, but also, I think for a change ehtey can actaully follow the main story of Revan and it could work quite well, the story of KotORis a very good one, and can be told for a movie . now it might upset some fans becaus they 'll have to fix coices and decisions the fan could have chosen differently, but what can you expect right? It's not a game it ccan't be multi-choice in a movie.

    I just think it would work very well.

    CAn you imagine the new games it can give rise to? IF they go for a tilogy, they can cover KotR 1 and 2, SwToR can be covered in the series. SWTOR expansion Knights of the Fallen Empire can be a film that expansion pack was an amazing progression story that really gave us something new (to the extent I feel it is something along that liens the new star wars movies needed to go with), even if it eevtnaully got boring for a game.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Hang on, is SWTOR not canon? I thought everything made under Disney was considered canon.
    Swtor was created and released before disney bought star wars.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Hang on, is SWTOR not canon? I thought everything made under Disney was considered canon.
    SWTOR was canon before Disney bought Star Wars. When Disney bought the franchise, they made everything outside the released movie and tv shows non-canon - this includes, EU books, games etc that Lucas had approved to be canon, including ones that Lucasfilm and ARts studio themselves worked on, of which SWTOR, KOTOR are some.

    It is why of all the EU stuff excluded, SWTOR (Star Wars the Old Republic) world timeline is the most likely to be re-intergrated into the Disney canon. It is very very popular amongst core star wars fans, and was happily accepted as Star wars canon. I twas certainly far more popular than the vast majoirty of the extended universe material that shows up in books.

  19. #99
    The Lightbringer Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    SWTOR was canon before Disney bought Star Wars. When Disney bought the franchise, they made everything outside the released movie and tv shows non-canon - this includes, EU books, games etc that Lucas had approved to be canon, including ones that Lucasfilm and ARts studio themselves worked on, of which SWTOR, KOTOR are some.

    It is why of all the EU stuff excluded, SWTOR (Star Wars the Old Republic) world timeline is the most likely to be re-intergrated into the Disney canon. It is very very popular amongst core star wars fans, and was happily accepted as Star wars canon. I twas certainly far more popular than the vast majoirty of the extended universe material that shows up in books.
    This is slightly wrong. It didn't Lucas' approval to be C-Canon (Continuity Canon). It needed Lucasfilm to state that it was, but Lucas himself didn't need to approve it. All Star Wars that didn't directly contradict the movies or previous C-Canon material was considered C-Canon. T-Canon, television canon, came about because of TCW which Lucasfilm allowed to rewrite some of previous Clone Wars work.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    This is slightly wrong. It didn't Lucas' approval to be C-Canon (Continuity Canon). It needed Lucasfilm to state that it was, but Lucas himself didn't need to approve it. All Star Wars that didn't directly contradict the movies or previous C-Canon material was considered C-Canon. T-Canon, television canon, came about because of TCW which Lucasfilm allowed to rewrite some of previous Clone Wars work.
    Do you know which clone wars stuff was re-written? Does it have anything to do with the Cartoon network clone wars?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •