Could you please help me understand a quote?

So I've been sent a certain quote and asked to translate it into Russian, but I'm not completely sure I understand its meaning. Any help would be appreciated.

The quote is: "I'm often painted as the bad guy, and the artistic part of me wants to hand out the brush."

While I do understand that it's a play on words, the meaning of the second part eludes me (I actually have an idea how to interpret it but I'm probably wrong).
    Last edited by Trollokdamus; 2019-05-24 at 02:39 AM.

It's about embracing the bad stuff people say about you but with a trite, 'edgy' pun thrown in.

"I'm often painted as the bad guy"

paintings primary meaning is related to art, as in painting a picture. In art a painting is used to portray something (a portrait for example). It also has another meaning as displayed in your sentence where it's figure of speech for being portrayed as something, in this case for being a bad guy.

The second part of the sentence refers back the primary meaning of the word painting by using "artistic" because painting is considered an art and "brush" because it's in most cases the primary utensil used for painting.

It means that his artistic side (the side that is inclined to believe what others say) want to hand out the brush so that others can continue painting him as a bad guy. It's not just about embracing the role of being a bad guy but also about showing this to others.

"I'm often painted as the bad guy,

People have a low opinion about him because he does bad things.

and the artistic part of me wants to hand out the brush."

He's encouraging others to have a low opinion of him by doing bad things.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    "I'm often painted as the bad guy,

People have a low opinion about him because he does bad things.

and the artistic part of me wants to hand out the brush."

He's encouraging others to have a low opinion of him by doing bad things.
    Yep. Some people enjoy getting attention, even if it is for something bad or evil.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Perfectly clear. Thanks a lot, guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yep. Some people enjoy getting attention, even if it is for something bad or evil.
    Like school shooters.