Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Classic Lore

Let's say that Classic WoW turns out to be a good success long term and Blizzard decides to make new content for it...How exactly would they do that without screwing the current time-line lore and without introducing alternate one?

Yes, I'm aware they said TBC is possibility but let's pretend they take this route instead...

If we turn off our brains and assume continuing to build lore starting from Classic again, then the game will irreversably lose all sense.
    There is no way to make an alternate timeline WoW starting from Classis that will not be a giant copout while also destroying the netire point of Classic.

As if Blizzard doesn't have Retcon on speed dial..

I just don't think Blizzard will add in new content? As others have said it would defeat the point.

If they were to I'd think it would be interesting if they based it on those half finished Emerald Dream maps etc

Ugh, another one of those threads .....

If they were going to introduce new content / change lore, it would defeat the point of Classic, which is to show/preserve how the game looked like originally.

People were pissed at Blizzard for introducing alternate timeline Draenor. Do you think making 2 different timelines with different lore additions would make them happy ?

Looking for a working online signature generator .....

5+ Year Old Account
    Please keep Blizzard's clumsy and retconning hands away the !@#$ from Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

What if Classic WoW constitutes one of the parallel realities and the survivors of BfA cross into Classic's dimension once Azeroth's titansoul beats for the last time?

The Burning Legion's already defeated and it was one that spanned all realities. With no Burning Legion, there'd definitely be no Burning Crusade, WoD and Legion to follow, but the Scourge storyline would be out in the open.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2019-05-25 at 12:00 AM.

If they add more content to classic we are in alternative universe territory, for example Illidan is able to stop burning crusade from opening the black portal so we dont Focus on the legión,Illidan and other offworld threats(TBC never happened in this timeline or get delayed), so we Focus back on elemental lords, old gods, dragons, the scourge,etc
    Last edited by azkhane; 2019-05-25 at 12:07 AM.

... I knew it was only a matter of time before I saw a post about changing more and more. Classic is classic, you don't need a new story. Blizzard's focus is on the current game, as it should be. They don't need to spend time/effort on writing a completely different game. If that's what you want, I suggest other MMOS.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Assorted Whip View Post
    Let's say that Classic WoW turns out to be a good success long term and Blizzard decides to make new content for it...How exactly would they do that without screwing the current time-line lore and without introducing alternate one?

Yes, I'm aware they said TBC is possibility but let's pretend they take this route instead...
    They will never make new content for Classic, because the point of Classic is to be what once was, not what will be.

Besides, the next "content" for Classic is just to launch for TBC.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Why should anything be changed, classic is an exact timeframe and absolutely nothing new. I can see them creating something akin to seasons, or opening up new servers from time to time, but its own storyline etc. runs contrary to what classic servers are essentially about.

Classic servers are just that, wow classic and after naxx it stagnates.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, this thread is kind of pointless considering Classic's success is just going to lead to BC & WotLK servers.

There's really no other way to handle the Lore of Classic splitting off from retail. At least, not if we're going to write off Alternate Realities (Which we should, because those are always trash).

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer we turn the clocks back and start again with a blank slate, but I really don't think they're going to give retail the RPG treatment. More importantly, the people responsible for the lore at the moment shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a blank slate.

Never seen blizzard announce anything about opening up expansions within the classic servers. Quite a bit of work to go back and add old content with classic rules in place. If they try to make it into a progression server it would need a good amount of players. But again the dev time it would take with patches.

I actually quite like the idea of Classic: Director's Cut.

Keep the Dark Portal closed. Finish the zones that never got finished in the scope of Vanilla: Hyjal, Gilneas, Tel Abim, Northeron, Caverns of Time, Grim Batol, Zandalar (if we're feeling ballsy). Tidy up some of the unfinished storylines from Classic: Hydraxion Waterlords, Dire Maul stuff, Bael Modan, Felwood/Winterspring corruption. Then add a few instances: The Emerald Dream raid, the Azshara one, Dragon Isles.

Basically, don't progress the story past Classic but build more of that world knowing what we know eventually happens. Just filled in the blanks.

Of course this does defeat the very point of Classic. But it is a fun game to speculate on and it'd be an interesting artistic challenge to make new content that looks like old content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    What if Classic WoW constitutes one of the parallel realities and the survivors of BfA cross into Classic's dimension once Azeroth's titansoul beats for the last time?

The Burning Legion's already defeated and it was one that spanned all realities. With no Burning Legion, there'd definitely be no Burning Crusade, WoD and Legion to follow, but the Scourge storyline would be out in the open.
    Quite aside from the silliness of this whole idea -- an idea which makes AU Draenor look positively sensible and logical -- if there had been no Burning Legion, the Scourge would never have existed. The Scourge was created by the Legion.

But as I say, this whole idea is just plain silly. And that's putting it mildly.

i mean if u wanna know how blizzard would do it it would go like this:

blizzard realizes 20 million people are playing classic and want new expansions for it. they will look at it and think to themselves "hmmmmm, looks like players really must like the themes of classic... hey whats the theme of classic? oh alliance vs horde right?" and they will immediately make an even worse version of bfa, ruining classic servers and their lore forever.

That would defeat the whole purpose of Classic...

Also leave the retconning for Warcraft 4... that's the one we have to pray starts off right after Frozen Throne and pretends WoW never happened.

It's working quite well for old school runescape, who knows, could work well for wow.

I think I've echoed this in many similar threads, but it keeps getting brought up so, I'd love an alternative re-telling of Burning Crusade. Preferably one where Kael'thas doesn't go bat shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Assorted Whip View Post

What if we didn't even think about lore? and it was just it's own thing. they could do an endless amount of zul gurubs and it not effect any timeline. i really don't think it matters anyway