Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

5+ Year Old Account
    I've stopped playing Beta now. Seems like wasted effort .

Quote Originally Posted by Nixiuz View Post
    Yeah because my opinion is owned by the court of holier than thou and not myself.

The source was obviously the statistics of the server populations. I'm not hearing any denials to my statement either so I will presume permanent layering will happen.
    Haven't seen any official posts stating such, but I guess we'll just have to take your word on it!

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurwi View Post
    Haven't seen any official posts stating such, but I guess we'll just have to take your word on it!
    It's more of a mathematical equation than requiring an official post. The sample of the recent beta population stats (Source: https://imgur.com/a/l1EYX9o) is like a sample from a poll to determine test results for a majority, added with the unfortunate limited amount of servers in Classic. I say unfortunate because of the limited, lesser amount of servers for Classic compared to the massive amount of servers during Vanilla increases the need for layering. The Classic beta population stats that were released indicate a healthy population will be in Classic after launching based on the beta sample. And there will be a limited amount of servers compared to the larger amount of Vanilla servers back in the day.

Equals =

That means either two possibilities for the smaller amount of servers in Classic from this formula:

1. Big, very big, and I mean big QUEUES. Eek. Into the long term.

or

2. Layering into the long term will be needed...

IF CLASSIC MAINTAINS ITS POPULATION <- very important part of the equation. But I think, provisionally from what is observed from the Classic hype, Classic will retain a sustainable population. That's not great news for BFA which might see a pop loss, but that's a different topic for another time.

To be frank I don't see layering as that big an issue really. Layering isn't something to blow out of proportion, don't have a cow over it, man. Eventually the Classic players will get used to layering, despite the potential exploits of layering, and layering I feel will be taken for granted so layering will barely be even thought about by the Classic devotee's once they are playing. I'm not going to lose any sleep over Classic's layering at all, personally.
    Last edited by Nixiuz; 2019-06-25 at 10:46 AM.

To be frank I don't see layering as that big an issue really. Layering isn't something to blow out of proportion, don't have a cow over it, man.
    I won't, in fact I'd very much prefer it. Other real option would be to split the community to bunch of servers like it used to be. Well, in addition to the long queues.

But then again, I would prefer to have a lot of other changes that have been done over the years as well. I don't need a "pure" Vanilla experience, I've already experienced it in all it's glory. But having the Vanilla world and mechanics with bunch of added QoL changes we've gotten in past years, now that would be interesting.

Yeah because my opinion is owned by the court of holier than thou and not myself.

The source was obviously the statistics of the server populations. I'm not hearing any denials to my statement either so I will presume permanent layering will happen.

Blizzard have said multiple times that it is not permanent and will be gone by phase 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    On live servers will be about 9000 players max per server
    Vanilla WoW had a online cap of 2500 iirc, 9000 online per realm isn't going to happen. Not because it isn't enough players but the game can't handle it, unless Blizzard adds dynamic (faster) mob respawns ...which they won't/shouldn't.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    On live servers will be about 9000 players max per server
    I am pretty sure it is per faction, I think the best estimate from back in the day was bare minimum 8k on each faction per server.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Vanilla WoW had a online cap of 2500 iirc, 9000 online per realm isn't going to happen. Not because it isn't enough players but the game can't handle it, unless Blizzard adds dynamic (faster) mob respawns ...which they won't/shouldn't.
    There was never a hard confirmation on size from Blizzard. Also that is why the game only loaded players within a certain radius from you, game still works with the radial loading.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I am pretty sure it is per faction, I think the best estimate from back in the day was bare minimum 8k on each faction per server.

- - - Updated - - -

There was never a hard confirmation on size from Blizzard. Also that is why the game only loaded players within a certain radius from you, game still works with the radial loading.
    Still doesn't change the fact that Vanilla design can't feed anywhere close to 9000, or even 5000... Every single private server with those numbers online have dynamic respawn to compensate, which opens up a lot of other issues- if you've played on private servers you've seen those issues.

Still doesn't change the fact that Vanilla design can't feed anywhere close to 9000, or even 5000... Every single private server with those numbers online have dynamic respawn to compensate, which opens up a lot of other issues- if you've played on private servers you've seen those issues.
    Vanilla had dynamic re-spawns sort of with mob groups, when all the mobs of a group are killed they begin to re-spawn almost immediately.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

Vanilla had dynamic re-spawns sort of with mob groups, when all the mobs of a group are killed they begin to re-spawn almost immediately.
    No, if every mob in a 'cluster' was killed then there would be a forced respawn of ONE in the cluster 1 minute after the last one was killed.
    Last edited by Huntingbear_grimbatol; 2019-06-25 at 06:26 PM.

No, if every mob in a 'cluster' was killed then there would be a forced respawn of ONE in the cluster 1 minute after the last one was killed.
    It is a non issue though at max level regardless since there are multiple end game zones. If it does become an issue they will likely do some kind of dynamic re-spawn based on what mobs are killed the most frequently I would imagine within reason.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drswole View Post
    Blizzard have said multiple times that it is not permanent and will be gone by phase 2.
    Blizzard can say the moon is made of green cheese and the devoted will believe them. But my trust for them is not to be taken for granted like in the vanilla times. That has eroded enough to take what Blizzard says with a pinch of salt these days. With the limited amount of servers and the big crowds I've been witnessing in Classic beta and stress tests, I can only conclude despite what Blizzard states, is that layering might be around longer than some of you might think. And that's putting it nicely after some of things I've had to endure as one of Blizzards customers and I'm still here surviving their propaganda but for some bizarre reason I cannot pin down, I am still a fan of their games despite my jaded veteran viewpoint. I will leave this topic with my pinch of salt standard reply: "we will see what we will see."

It is a non issue though at max level regardless since there are multiple end game zones. If it does become an issue they will likely do some kind of dynamic re-spawn based on what mobs are killed the most frequently I would imagine within reason.
    it’s not an issue if online populations are limited to the 2k-3k the game was designed around, if you double or (God forbid) tripple the number of players you’ll end up with a mess.

I think when he said 9000 he was meaning with layering which is exactly what layering is for. Each layer will be roughly 2500-3000 players concurrent and each server can have many layers. So the 9000 number is basically a server with 3 layers which is how blizzard themselves have described how layer works.

it’s not an issue if online populations are limited to the 2k-3k the game was designed around, if you double or (God forbid) tripple the number of players you’ll end up with a mess.
    I guess we will find out
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    I think when he said 9000 he was meaning with layering which is exactly what layering is for. Each layer will be roughly 2500-3000 players concurrent and each server can have many layers. So the 9000 number is basically a server with 3 layers which is how blizzard themselves have described how layer works.
    Layering could very easily be the thing that makes classic be dead before it comes.

I dont know where I heared it, but someone said 10 000 have been invited to beta.
    On the PvE server I see its usually around 10-20 lvl 40 online, but i dont know if there is more PvE servers I cant see.

Quote Originally Posted by digme View Post
    Hey, does some1 knows the pop on the 2 server?
    The number of players who got access to beta is very low, I believe it's somewhere near 1600 players.

Plus you have layering on top of that so it's feeling quite dead right now as each layer has a couple hundreds at best.

I wouldn't say the beta reflects the current popularity of classic at all , it's deliberately limited and being layered for testing I guess.

Layering could very easily be the thing that makes classic be dead before it comes.
    It won't be but I'm sure it'll be blamed when ~75-80% of the population inevitably quits after few months.