Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

China arrests filmmaker Deng Chuanbin because of Tweet

Chinese authorities have reportedly detained documentary filmmaker Deng Chuanbin after he tweeted an image of a liquor bottle labelled “64” – a reference to the date of the Tiananmen Square Massacre which occurred on June 4, 1989.

Sichuan police arrested Deng at his home in Yibin last Friday, according to the NGO coalition, Chinese Human Rights Defenders (CHRD). The arrest came hours after he posted a Twitter photo of a clear spirit with a label that read “ba jiu,” a near homophone of “89,” above an illustration of the iconic “tank man” – an unidentified man who stood in front of a row of tanks on June 5, 1989, the morning after the crackdown.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/05/2...ssacre-report/

Deng and family.

Image that got him arrested.
    That fucking tank man. I remember people saying tank man "threw his life away for nothing. So what? His sacrifice won't make a difference."

And here we are in 2019 and tank man is growing stronger every day.

Do you think it's right for the Chinese government to arrest a man over an image?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

China lol this is my surprised face.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hubcap starting another China thread ... this is *my* surprised face. If people actually wanted to discuss things, I would expect to see more than the same one trick pony doing yet another post and run thread. I can't say that I have. That leaves me to wonder if this is another strange "I'm the guy who starts posts" obsession like Tennisace and China is just what he chums the waters with.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    You guys are really pushing the propaganda.
    I hate how people just accept whatever is being thrown at them, they don't even notice that every day we suddenly have a new thread coming up.
    China is the most populated country on earth and the second largest economy ofc people are making threads about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are really pushing the propaganda.
    I hate how people just accept whatever is being thrown at them, they don't even notice that every day we suddenly have a new thread coming up.

Hows your social score going? Leveled up yet from the gazillion chinese and communist ass kissing posts?

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    That fucking tank man. I remember people saying tank man "threw his life away for nothing. So what? His sacrifice won't make a difference."

And here we are in 2019 and tank man is growing stronger every day.

Do you think it's right for the Chinese government to arrest a man over an image?
    Too bad their citizens are unarmed.

- - - Updated - - -

On average we have a thread bashing China every four days over the last 5 months.
    Half of them come from Hubcap.
    Would you want to live in china? Work at an iphone factory?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Too bad their citizens are unarmed.
    Arms doesn't help vs police, you just end up in a body bag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chinese government is made up of thin skinned dictator trash. The sooner the citizens revolt the better.

Would you want to live in china?
    China is not that bad to live in.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/975536363364696064
    Ian Goodrum is a good journalist, you should read his segment on the "social score".

So you and your personal attacks can just fuck off.
    "I'm not a China apologist! Here look at these tweets from another self-professed China apologist about how China isn't bad at all!"

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    Yeah any place with re-education camps and social credit scores is a great place to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ian Goodrum is a good journalist, you should read his segment on the "social score".

So you and your personal attacks can just fuck off.

"Ian Goodrum is a writer and digital editor for China Daily in Beijing, China" Legit AF.

I get it you are a commie fanatic so its like religion to you at this point if you started believing only chinese propaganda but to the rest of the world it just looks creepy and weird.

thread theme:

the communist parties days are numbered in china, and that number is getting low.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Arms doesn't help vs police, you just end up in a body bag.
    that depends on the caliber.

I read your guy's post, and he hand waves a lot of things as normal that I consider pretty contrary to basic human rights. The Surveillance State is far more problematic than just the social score, and the original post is a prime example. More importantly, you failed to address the issue put forth by the original post: Is it right for a government to arrest someone because they posted a picture in remembrance of major atrocity? You seem to think it's okay for them to do that. I'm interested in hearing why. If you want people to see your point of you, you need to express it and not just call people propagandists. Did they not arrest him? If so, where's your evidence contradicting HKFP's? If you agree that they did do it, why do you believe it is okay? You can find my opinions below.

Governments are just rules for living together as a society, combined with the ability to enforce those rules. Without the ability to openly and freely question those rules, you move from a collection of people living in an agreed upon arrangement into a state of coercion. No system is perfect, and while in a democracy there will still be times where you are forced to follow rules you don't agree with, the system is designed to allow you the power to potentially change those rules. That is only possible, however, if people are allowed to freely communicate and question their government and its practices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    The problem is, if you get dinged social points and punished for saying otherwise, how is it possible to believe such claims from anyone living under that system?

You should your bias by not even daring to address the content of his posts.

No, just to white nationalists like you.
    And you end up dying due to a lack of medicine and food anyway, so I don't really give a fuck.
    Capitalism always ends the same.

Would you want to live in Brazil or Hungary?

They don't want to revolt, they love their politics.

- - - Updated - - -

If you actually read the link I gave you, you wouldn't make this claim.
    You answer questions with a question because you have no answer.

If you actually read the link I gave you, you wouldn't make this claim.
    You are wrong. I read the link, and my claim is still valid: People get arrested for speaking out against the government - hence the entire point of the original post. Thus, if you can get arrested for saying anything other than "we love it!" how on Earth can you trust anyone stating that sentiment. Now please respond to the original post. Why do you think it's okay for China to arrest him over this?

10+ Year Old Account
    You should your bias by not even daring to address the content of his posts.
    The content of some of his most recent tweets:

"Capitalism is evil!"

"The Soviet Union was great and communism only failed because it was constantly under attack by American imperialism!"

Yeah any place with re-education camps and social credit scores is a great place to live.
    Unlike you, I have spent time in China. I could live there with no problems from my experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk
    The problem is, if you get dinged social points and punished for saying otherwise, how is it possible to believe such claims from anyone living under that system?
    Pretty simple really, you go there and see first hand. First hand means getting out from the expat bubble and actually interacting with regular Chinese. No, "I went to Shanghai for a weekend" doesn't provide much exposure or immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk
    I'm interested in hearing why. If you want people to see your point of you, you need to express it and not just call people propagandists.
    Sigh, you must be new to Hubcap threads. Go down the page and start with the tank man thread to get up to speed. The question isn't a real question, it is a post and run exercise to stir up more misinformed chest beating about China. Except for the switch in bait from inflatable sculpture to edgy guy trying to get arrested, the topic is pretty much the same. Now, let's see if OP actually takes part in this essential discussion that needed yet another thread. Don't bet on it.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.