Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Okay, my protein budget is 120g/protein a day, because I run and strength train. If you can create a soy-free sample diet for a day that gets that much protein in my diet under 2k calories a day, I'd love to see it.
    There are actually tools online for this. I'm neither a nutritionist nor am I of the inclination to bother to do something so basic for someone. If you were interested, there are more than a few places you can do this yourself.

    Here is 10 seconds of effort:


    You can get soy-free tempeh. It lists ingredients (when you hover over the item) and goes further if you make an account (which I wasn't interested in). You can also change how many meals you have in that day, this was 3 meals, as an example.

    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    lets explore this shall we:

    i'm 6 feet tall, for me my ideal weight should be between 65-85Kg, based on this information i need to consume PER DAY: ~60 grams if i do no exercise and work in an office all day, in order to get this volume of protein from just plants/seeds/beans etc i would need to consume around 6 medium sized eggs, i can get the same amount of protein in my diet from eating ~250-300g of cooked chicken which is not only lower in cholesterol than eating 6 eggs but is also significantly cheaper.

    that's just one example comparison, to get the same protein numbers from straight up plant based items i would need to consume ~2 litres of soy milk this is just looking at protein levels, this does not factor in other essential nutrients and vitamins needed from meat sources that are not present in any plant based food source short of altering how those plants are grown/handled, so in conclusion, no, it is not 'piss easy' to get the various amino acids and protein needed as a vegan relative to a 'normal' person.

    all my information is taken from government sources on health and wellbeing in relation to height/weight and daily recommended intake values for various nutritional groups.
    Either I'm misreading this to a massive degree or you just mentioned eating eggs on a vegan diet to get protein from only plants/seeds/beans...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    The truth is, some people can get by with a vegan diet. As long as they supplement.
    If you do a vegan diet right, you don't need supplements.



    We're just going round in the same typical cycle we did in the last thread related to veganism (which this thread isn't really, parents were just dumb AF) and it's kinda boring. See whatever the last thread was for where this thread will go.
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2019-05-24 at 04:25 PM.

  2. #62
    A Vegan diet (with the exception of breast milk) can work fine for an infant. It just requires careful planning. It sounds as though these parents were basically just giving her what was easy without consulting a nutritionist. I am not a vegan but will admit that due to modern science it can work.

  3. #63
    Stood in the Fire Jehct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It is the easiest thing in the world to get both as a vegan.
    Will you post a picture of your arm muscles? I have been interested in seeing muscle growth on a vegan diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I imagine a lot of girls could care less about the stuff men find engaging. He has to pay attention, because if he isn't, he's being rude. So he's not relaxing; he's tensing to ensure he pays attention because he's forcing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM View Post
    I would never trust a diet/lifestyle that depends on artificial nutritional supplements.
    Probably a wise choice.

  5. #65
    A) This has nothing to do with veganism. Plenty of vegans raise healthy children.
    B) Still not sure why veganism is so vilified. It seems like a noble goal that we should devote more scientific power towards until it's achievable for everyone.

  6. #66
    Herald of the Titans Synros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadowlands
    Posts
    2,864
    Good. Vegans are just some of the worst people on the planet. I especially hate the ones who force their shit on their pets like cats.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Synros View Post
    Good. Vegans are just some of the worst people on the planet. I especially hate the ones who force their shit on their pets like cats.
    Why? (the animal abuse cases aside, which seems contradictory to the tenets of veganism anyway; why stop using all animal products to then go on to enslave an animal?).

  8. #68
    The Unstoppable Force zenkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    22,173
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    There are actually tools online for this. I'm neither a nutritionist nor am I of the inclination to bother to do something so basic for someone. If you were interested, there are more than a few places you can do this yourself.

    Here is 10 seconds of effort:


    You can get soy-free tempeh. It lists ingredients (when you hover over the item) and goes further if you make an account (which I wasn't interested in). You can also change how many meals you have in that day, this was 3 meals, as an example.


    Either I'm misreading this to a massive degree or you just mentioned eating eggs on a vegan diet to get protein from only plants/seeds/beans...

    - - - Updated - - -


    If you do a vegan diet right, you don't need supplements.



    We're just going round in the same typical cycle we did in the last thread related to veganism (which this thread isn't really, parents were just dumb AF) and it's kinda boring. See whatever the last thread was for where this thread will go.
    LOL you only listed calories, wow you really don't understand nutrition. Then you even chose a protein shake that I am sure contains whey an animal byproduct. Fine for veggies but not vegans.

    I bet you search webmd and use it as a doctor too.
    For some people, everything is a moral question. If you agree with them, you are virtuous. If you don't, you are a monster.
    If you want to debate me and prove me wrong I welcome the challenge. If you want to name call and use personal attacks, I will just ignore and report or move on, if I don't reply to you, you know which group you're in.
    Be respectful to me and I will be respectful to you, that I promise you.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    LOL you only listed calories, wow you really don't understand nutrition. Then you even chose a protein shake that I am sure contains whey an animal byproduct. Fine for veggies but not vegans.

    I bet you search webmd and use it as a doctor too.
    Peanuts have protein last i checked. "Peanut protein shake".

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    A) This has nothing to do with veganism. Plenty of vegans raise healthy children.
    B) Still not sure why veganism is so vilified. It seems like a noble goal that we should devote more scientific power towards until it's achievable for everyone.
    Because it have a bad rap due to insufferable people when it comes to nutrition tends to be vegan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Peanuts have protein last i checked. "Peanut protein shake".
    Why would they add "protein" to a shake if it wasn't adding protein from another source?
    It's not like when I do shakes I call it "Banana chocolate peanut sugar carbohydrates protein fats shake".

    But yeah, that image lacks a lot of info to be valuable.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-05-24 at 05:36 PM.

  11. #71
    The Unstoppable Force zenkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    22,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Peanuts have protein last i checked. "Peanut protein shake".
    Just lack amino acids Its amazing how people only understand calories, vitamins and protein. No wonder we have obesity climbing.
    For some people, everything is a moral question. If you agree with them, you are virtuous. If you don't, you are a monster.
    If you want to debate me and prove me wrong I welcome the challenge. If you want to name call and use personal attacks, I will just ignore and report or move on, if I don't reply to you, you know which group you're in.
    Be respectful to me and I will be respectful to you, that I promise you.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Because it have a bad rap due to insufferable people when it comes to nutrition tends to be vegan.



    Why would they add "protein" to a shake if it wasn't adding protein from another source?
    It's not like when I do shakes I call it "Banana chocolate peanut sugar carbohydrates protein fats shake".

    But yeah, that image lacks a lot of info to be valuable.
    I would assume that he used a vegan meal planning app based on the rest of the convo; I would not just automatically assume it has whey like a moron trying to make a dumb point.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Because it have a bad rap due to insufferable people when it comes to nutrition tends to be vegan.



    Why would they add "protein" to a shake if it wasn't adding protein from another source?
    It's not like when I do shakes I call it "Banana chocolate peanut sugar carbohydrates protein fats shake".

    But yeah, that image lacks a lot of info to be valuable.
    Well, I think the assumption is they're mentioning "source-protein" shake. Like a whey protein, or egg protein, or casein protein, or soy protein. This is just peanut-derived protein. I'm guessing it kind of just tastes like a chocolate shake...but maybe it's like a Reese's flavor?

  14. #74
    The Normal Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    18,103
    This is almost as sadly humorous as the firefighter suing the Canadian government for human rights violations for focusing on putting out a massive wildfire instead of catering to his daily vegan dietary requirements.

    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    LOL you only listed calories, wow you really don't understand nutrition. Then you even chose a protein shake that I am sure contains whey an animal byproduct. Fine for veggies but not vegans.

    I bet you search webmd and use it as a doctor too.
    Pretty sure Orgain sells a plant based whey powder.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    I would assume that he used a vegan meal planning app based on the rest of the convo; I would not just automatically assume it has whey like a moron trying to make a dumb point.
    Sure, that's your assumption. Not sure why his app usage would be determined by a convo since he probably had the app before the conversation.
    Also, he denied earlier in the thread he wasn't vegan. So it's a fair assumption it's a calorie counting app, that's it.
    It lacks info to be valuable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Well, I think the assumption is they're mentioning "source-protein" shake. Like a whey protein, or egg protein, or casein protein, or soy protein. This is just peanut-derived protein. I'm guessing it kind of just tastes like a chocolate shake...but maybe it's like a Reese's flavor?
    Honestly, it's just a buzzword to make it sound better. Add whatever-protein or -low carb shake and it sounds more flashy and healthy.
    But if the only source is peanuts then you get lots of fats so my guess is if it's truly a healthy one, there is another protein source.

    I used shakes a lot when I wanted to gain weight. That's when I realised fruits needs to be taken in moderation, as with everything and also everything being named x or y means little when you go beyond calorie and protein into other nutrients.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-05-24 at 05:46 PM.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Just lack amino acids Its amazing how people only understand calories, vitamins and protein. No wonder we have obesity climbing.
    Here:

    Ingredients
    1 cup chocolate almond milk
    2 frozen bananas sliced
    1/4 cup peanut flour
    1-2 tablespoons chia seeds or hemp hearts, optional

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Sure, that's your assumption. Not sure why his app usage would be determined by a convo since he probably had the app before the conversation.
    Also, he denied earlier in the thread he wasn't vegan. So it's a fair assumption it's a calorie counting app, that's it.
    It lacks info to be valuable.
    He directly stated he didn't have the app.

  17. #77
    The Unstoppable Force zenkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    22,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Here:

    Ingredients
    1 cup chocolate almond milk
    2 frozen bananas sliced
    1/4 cup peanut flour
    1-2 tablespoons chia seeds or hemp hearts, optional

    - - - Updated - - -



    He directly stated he didn't have the app.
    /facepalm I see you don't understand what I wrote.
    For some people, everything is a moral question. If you agree with them, you are virtuous. If you don't, you are a monster.
    If you want to debate me and prove me wrong I welcome the challenge. If you want to name call and use personal attacks, I will just ignore and report or move on, if I don't reply to you, you know which group you're in.
    Be respectful to me and I will be respectful to you, that I promise you.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Sweet. A new thread for uneducated, misinformed people to attack veganism.
    Oh, look, another vegan trying to pick a fight. That totally never happened on the internet before... nobody gives a fuck, go and eat your grass, don't make a crusade out of it, ffs.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    /facepalm I see you don't understand what I wrote.
    I see you don't know chocolate almond milk provides 10 amino acids?

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    He directly stated he didn't have the app.
    then why did you say you would assume he had a vegan app?
    I would assume that he used a vegan meal planning app
    Confused.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •