Page 1 of 2
LastLast

gaming pc build 1400 usd budget suggestions

hi,

I need help picking out parts, my budget is 1400usd, tho i am willing to go 1500usd if its a big upgrade. 4k resolution isn't a big deal but if i can reach it on my budget while maintaining good performance im open to it. It will be used for gaming and I usually play MMO's and RPG type games. I will need all parts including windows but i do not need any peripherals with this budget. The only thing i need is at 2tb of hd space, everything else is basically t he best performance for the money.

thank you for any suggestions

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-build-Read-me!
    Fill out the information in this thread please, it makes it easier for us

ok, thank you.

BUDget --- 1400 - 1500 USD

Resolution --- I don't really know, the highest possible while maintaining optimal fps and max settings

Games / Settings Desired --- MMO's (wow, ff14, eso), RPG's( witcher 3, dragons dogma) , max settings

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) --- no

Country--- USA

Parts that can be reused--- none

Do you need an OS?--- Yes

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, e) --- no

I would like at least 2 tb of HD space, it does not need to be ssd, Would prefer a smaller ssd for OS.

I do not plan on Overclocking,

I am not familiar with liquid cooling so would probly be better sticking with fans.

Thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sassori View Post
    snip
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.09 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($95.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ B&H)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1441.09
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 15:27 EDT-0400

While Intel would be better for MMO's. With the current problems with Intel. I would actually recommend AMD 9/10 times. Lately.
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2019-05-24 at 07:31 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

thank you,

i appreciate the help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Might want to wait a little bit before buying, AMD is revealing/releasing their new 3000 series in a little bit, could be a worthy upgrade. Aside from that, I got no complaints about what Saphyron suggested

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you,

i appreciate the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Might want to wait a little bit before buying, AMD is revealing/releasing their new 3000 series in a little bit, could be a worthy upgrade. Aside from that, I got no complaints about what Saphyron suggested
    I definitely agree here. If I remember correctly it's in 2-3 days they would reveal something.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

yeah its all in my cart, i just have to hit the buy button lol. Only question is that the specific video card has a decent amount of bad reviews saying it dies within a month. Is the msi version maybe a safer purchase? And wow its really hard to wait for the new cpus lol, does that usually bring the prices down or do they usually release at a comparable price but huge performance upgrade?

thanks alot for the help.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah its all in my cart, i just have to hit the buy button lol. Only question is that the specific video card has a decent amount of bad reviews saying it dies within a month. Is the msi version maybe a safer purchase? And wow its really hard to wait for the new cpus lol, does that usually bring the prices down or do they usually release at a comparable price but huge performance upgrade?

Depends on the MSI version you can get for that same price. If you're getting an Armor card, probably not, but some of their models are nice.

New CPU launches means stores will have sales for their old stock to get rid of it, and if the leaks are correct, the new generation of Ryzen chips look to be a fairly big step up

yeah its an armor card i believe, its 30 bux off bringing it to the same price... ill just stick to what you guys suggest. obviously you know way more then i do. Thanks for the heads up on the cpus also.

10+ Year Old Account

There is a high chance of them showcasing something in 2 days:

If not its up to you if you want to wait or just get soon.

In regards to the reviews.
    Some of the earlier releases of the 2000 series died really early on. Try see when the review is from.
    Otherwise then this is a great alternative though more expensive as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($499.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $499.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-25 14:42 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    How can you not know the resolution of the monitor you already own?
    umm i do, but I i can trade money for a new monitor... if i could have hit 4k and still have great performance with that budget, id get a 4k monitor, if i can't hit 4k with good performance on that budget i would stick to 1080p...this is why i wasn't sure..

10+ Year Old Account
    umm i do, but I i can trade money for a new monitor... if i could have hit 4k and still have great performance with that budget, id get a 4k monitor, if i can't hit 4k with good performance on that budget i would stick to 1080p...this is why i wasn't sure..
    With that build you should be able to play at 1440p 120 hz
    or 4k 60hz at lower settings.

I am not good at picking monitors so I will let others recommend that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    With that build you should be able to play at 1440p 120 hz
    or 4k 60hz at lower settings.

I am not good at picking monitors so I will let others recommend that.
    There's a lot of variables in which monitor to recommend.. How sensitive you are to input lag, how much you want colour accuracy, if you want variable refresh rate or not, curved, size, resolution, and a bunch of other things.

That said, some recommendations:

1440p 155hz: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MXQ...nitor-s2719dgf TN panel, means shit colours (relatively), but has 1ms grey to grey, and at the price it's pretty hard to beat. Got Freesync, so can try enabling G-sync to see if it works.

4k 60: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yfx...nitor-27ud58-b IPS, so good colours, 5ms grey to grey, got freesync as well.

OP can also just keep his 1080p monitor and turn on DSR, a 2070 should be fine for 4k DSR (My boyfriend does that, he can get 60fps with high-max settings in most things)

so has anyone used that ram in that combination. its not on the qvl and im not sure if it will work good.

10+ Year Old Account
    so has anyone used that ram in that combination. its not on the qvl and im not sure if it will work good.
    RAM is RAM is RAM. checking the QVL is more of an issue when you run really high speed ram (3466+) or have a CPU with a shit memory controller (Ryzen 1000 series). The 2000 series is fine and 3200 isn't anything extraordinary.

Also, we got the Ryzen 3000 series announced, and it's looking quite good. Reviews and the product will land on 7/7, so hold on buying CPU until then if you can

Quote Originally Posted by lyons75 View Post
    Love the parts you picked for OP, but I disagree on your last statement. Intel has been known to produce stuff that's way better for gaming than AMD. On the other hand, AMD's CPUs and GPUs are better suited for performance-heavy work.

I'm not really following the industry these last few weeks, what happened with Intel?
    They have been stuck on 14 & 12 nm they also have had supply issues and sever security issues, also AMD Ryzen 2000 is on par with intel in gaming and Ryzen 3000 is looking like it will beat intel. the old intel crushes AMD for gaming has not been true sense 2017.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by col1kill View Post
    They have been stuck on 14 & 12 nm they also have had supply issues and sever security issues, also AMD Ryzen 2000 is on par with intel in gaming and Ryzen 3000 is looking like it will beat intel. the old intel crushes AMD for gaming has not been true sense 2017.
    Ryzen 2000 is only on par with intel price for price, if you want the best gaming CPU you'll buy a 9900k, it's simply just way better than anything AMD has out right now. The new Ryzen CPUs look like they'll close the gap or even perform better though, but we'll see. I'm not entirely expecting AMD to top Intel by that much though, since AMD seems more focused on low-mid end, where Intel is mid-high end for consumer CPUs

Also, the only reason Intel has had supply issues is that they've been trying to get 10nm to work over supplying low-end chips (Because low-end chips has very small margins, or whatever).

Intel's security issues are a big problem though, everything from speculative execution to hyperthreading has been attacked, and AMD hasn't been suffering nearly as bad since they have such a small market share

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking at this Reddit thread and it seems the majority of people still think Intel is the clear winner.

As the previous post said, nothing comes close to 9900k for gaming at this moment. However, I believe 9700k is just as good since the latter only suffers a 1-2% performance drop in games compared to its 'older brother.'

To get back to the original discussion and answer OP's question, You should google some cheap processors that would be a great fit for your current budget and read the reviews.

Even though I was just advocating for Intel, considering your budget, I'd go for the AMD 2200G. Alternatively, take a look at the Intel Core i3 - 8100 which is more expensive but packs a serious punch. That's if you're in for more GPU intense games like TW3.

If you plan on playing stuff like Civilization that requires high CPU performance, you are better off investing more cash into a strong processor. In that case, i5 i5 8400 would be my top pick.
    The 8100 is only about 3% better than the 2200G in CPU performance, and is MILES behind in GPU performance.
    and a 2600/x is a better bet than the 8400 in everything but games, and its equal in games, while being much cheaper, so there's no reason to buy an 8400 over the 2600/x

At every level but the high-end, it just makes more sense to buy AMD right now, and even at 1400, it's a toss up on what you prefer more, gaming performance in which case you'd go 96/9700k, or everything else, in which case you'd go 26/2700 or their x SKU's. When you get up near 2k you can start throwing the money at a 9900k and there's really no other CPU that you'd benefit from

10+ Year Old Account
    You got a point, I'm looking at some top 10 CPU lists and they seem to contain the same technical info that you're suggesting. Do you think I'd be able to get 2200g and still have enough money remaining to build a decent rig under $1400?
    Getting a 2200g at that budget is beyond stupid, it's a budget CPU. At 1400 I'd suggest a 2600/x and a dGPU. Make another thread if you want more specifics