Ever play a modern game and wonder if you accidentally bought "Streamer Bait"?

This was a term i first heard doing the rounds a lot when Goat Simulator was doing the rounds and people like Pewdiepie basically lead one man marketing campaigns to start a multi million dollar success of an IP based on jank as novelty. Something jank shat out on the cheap as a sort of once removed videogame. Not a lovingly crafted story or trial to overcome from a developer to their customer but something made first and foremost so streamers will play it, scream their memequeen heads off as they do and through the power of parasocial relationship syndrome and the usual payload trigger keywords their audience will then buy the game in droves to be "part of the conversation" in this word of mouth three tier pyramid scheme of sorts.

Case in point i got a gift card for PSN and picked up 'The Blackout Club' as i was told it was something like 'Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil Outbreak and Tales from the Loop' combined. An indie survival horror with heavy co-op focus and a stranger things influence overall.

What i got was some very poorly made experience that felt like an early access steam game or a mod for something like half life 2. From the way its set up to its intro screen asking if it can record your voice over -yes really- it screams streamerb8 and looking up the developers twitter they are downright masturbatory about 'influencers being part of the narrative'.

Thankfully i got a refund since it was credit already in the system so no skin off Sony's back but it feels like the exact sort of thing designed 'to be fun to watch a streamer play through' but not actually fun to enjoy yourself that i hear of now and then but haven't really run into one personally before, though to be fair i rarely buy games blind like this.

Have you ever had a comparable experience where you realise you were playing something that seriously felt like it was meant for streamers and not the general consumer?
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2019-08-09 at 11:38 PM.

Not so much but streaming has definitely taught me some things are more fun to watch than play.

Dead by Daylight, I'm looking at you.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Not so much but streaming has definitely taught me some things are more fun to watch than play.

Dead by Daylight, I'm looking at you.
    If being an asshole as the Clown is wrong i don't want to be right.