Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Gaming = waste of time?

John Lennon famously said that time you enjoy wasting is not wasted. Do you agree? Most people think gaming is a waste of time, and either they don’t care or they quit.

I’m aware that my time playing games is time I could spend having a life. Except that’s hard, and I like easy. I don’t like other people, and I have no job. So I have nothing to do but game or sleep. That’s why I choose gaming.

Is gaming a waste of time? If so, why do you do it?

Everything is a waste of time, stop caring about what other people think about your time spent.

Everything you do in life is just wasting time, it's about how you enjoy it yes.

Answered the thread in the OP, if you enjoy your time you aren't wasting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I'd rather waste my time gaming, then snorting coke off a hookers ass

No, I mean sure its probably not gonna do much in terms of career or stuff like that, unless you happen to be one of the few people in the grand scheme of things that makes their living playing game. But winding down and relaxing is good for a person both mentally and physically, if what helps a person wind down is video games then I wouldn't consider it a waste of time.

I’m aware that my time playing games is time I could spend having a life. Except that’s hard, and I like easy. I don’t like other people, and I have no job. So I have nothing to do but game or sleep. That’s why I choose gaming.
    Personally I don't think the above sounds healthy but if you're happy with that then it's entirely up to you. It's your life after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Why not both?
    ☝️☝️I like your style

15+ Year Old Account
    Gaming is entertainment just like any other form of entertainment. If you weren’t playing a game, would you be watching tv? Reading a book? There’s nothing wrong with relaxing with your preferred form of entertainment. Everyone needs some down time. Do what makes you happy.

If gaming is a waste of time...so is every other leisure activity.

If you aren't working, eating or sleeping...you are "wasting time"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with John Lennon, there's no such thing as wasted time if you're enjoying yourself.

Also the people who say gaming is a waste of time are most likely watching several hours of TV every day, or at a bar getting so shitfaced that they won't even remember half of the night... They have no ground to stand on.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Well... If gaming equals a waste of time then living is a waste effort. We all gonna die anyways so who’s to judge how I/we live?

you know you already have to work 80% of your life anyway.

Stressing over what you do in your spare time seems insane to me.

I think that I don't give a shit what a cheating wife beater has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    John Lennon famously said that time you enjoy wasting is not wasted. Do you agree? Most people think gaming is a waste of time, and either they don’t care or they quit.

Is gaming a waste of time? If so, why do you do it?
    So you have no job and play games all day seems to me you are a waste to society.

I've been there to had nothing so i just kept playing games all day,and let me say life gets pretty boring if all you do is playing games.

But you do you man.But in the future you will probably look back and think man i wasted my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    It literally comes down to a pissing contest. The people that say shit like "Video games are for children" or "I grew up and no longer cared for video games" or "Oh, you still play video games?" are all little snowflakes who care too much about how others think of them. No I don't think it's a waste of time. If you enjoy something a hobby that doesn't involve hurting others or hurting yourself in any serious way, then go for it. If someone wants to judge others instead of enjoying life, then that's their problem.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No more a waste of time than watching TV or Sports, drinking at a Bar, or literally any other hobby.

Whilst I do believe that in the end everyone should do what makes them happy, I personally do find gaming a waste of time if done excessively. When in high school and leading up to when I was about 20 years old I played games almost exclusively, and whilst I loved playing the games in those moments itself, it didn’t really gave me any enjoyment in life when not gaming. Gaming didn’t feel fulfilling, nor did it really make me any happier.

Gaming as a hobby is great, and I do still occasionally play the odd game here or there. But when gaming starts replacing other important aspects of life, with gaming being the only real occupation, that’s when I’d at least start asking myself whether it’s a healthy hobby.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO-Champion is a much bigger waste of time
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

According to the Foreign Service Institute of the U.S. it rakes about 2,200 hours for an english native speaker to go from 0 to fluent in Arabic/Chinese

Looking back at my >10k played hours of WoW
    Did I enjoy them? Yes
    Would I do the same if I could go back in time? No, I would rather have done something more "useful" such as learning Arabic