My First Vanilla Raiding Experience!

Hi,

I wanted to share this with you because I think it's funny AF!

So I was 13, I account shared with my 12 year old brother. We'd been playing wow pretty hardcore(5-7 hours a day between us). We leveled from 1-57 in about 6-7 weeks. We starting playing wow about 2-3 months after it launched in Europe. We were leveing a level 57 Undead arms Warrior and we saw an advertisement for a 15man raid to UBRS. We'd never heard of it, we'd hasn't even seen Blackrock mountain before never mind been in it. So we joined.... No questions asked, we were just filler DPS. The run went pretty smooth, I have no idea what our DPS was like, but they didn't kick me so I assume it couldn't have been too bad. We killed Rend on the second attempt and we blasted through the rest of the instance(We were being carried by 4-5 Molten Core geared people) and then we got to Drakkisath.

I can't be arsed to look up the names of the items, but you should know what I'm talking about.

We wiped on Drakkisath 3 or 4 times... People were being switched in and out, but they still kept me in the group. At this point nothing in the entire instance that dropped(other than green items from trash) had been an upgrade for me. We killed Drakkisath and 3 items dropped: Painweaver Band, Drakkisaths shield and I think it was the chest of Valour, but it might have been the paladin chest. The loot was set to group loot and the raid leader was telling everyone to pass on the loot. So everyone apart from me and 1 other guy did. At this point I need to mention that my brother and I were fully aware what a ninja was and what they did, and we hadn't Ninja'd anything up until this point. So everyone passed on the rare loot, but me and my brother decided to need on all 3 of those items and we won all 3 of them. We felt amazing... We couldn't believe it, however, the entire group was going beserk. They were calling us names, some of them were even threatening us, but we said nothing(We were panicking). We hearthed out of there back to Orgrimmar and we left the raid group. We then got berrated on trade chat for I don't know how long, but I think it still went on when we left the city as I was getting whispers from random people(they weren't friendly whispers haha).

These whispers continued until we logged off and they started again the day after when we logged back in. After 2 days they stopped and we finally dinged... Level 60, we were in absoloute shock, the shear effort of getting this ugly looking character all the way to level 60 felt like the greatest achievement in our lives.

So we're level 60, we're feeling unstoppable and we want to start doing dungeons. I saw a Scholo run in trade chat so I sent the person a whisper and he/she invited me. I was in the group for 15 seconds and then i got kicked. I asked them why they kicked me and they said "You're a ninja". This happened to me every time I tried to join a group from then on. I even tried to start my own groups, but people would call me a Ninja in trade chat every time I was "LFM".

My brother and I had spent 2 months leveling a character all the way to level 60 just to permanently ruin our server reputation and never be trusted by anyone on that server(Azjol'nerub) ever again. We got exalted with the Frost Wolf Clan, but that was the biggest achievement our character(Dracone) obtained. We then made the decision to roll a Human rogue and never Ninja anything ever again.

It was a hard lesson, but like Sansa, we learned.

That was my first raiding experience, thank you for reading lol
    Last edited by Matmcc; 2019-05-25 at 07:46 PM.

:-)

IMO a pug running group loot was asking for this. But we were all 12 once :-)
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

That's how the community used to work back then. You were an ass once, you paid a price for it.

Personally, i think it was a raid leader's mistake, even tho you disobeyed in purpose. He should have turned a master loot on but he forgot it and assumed everyone reads the raid chat before they click "need" or "greed".

I could be wrong but i think his time around those early pug raids are not as serious business as they were in 2004-2006. Guild runs can be another story but even then you're probably just kicked out from the guild instead of being flamed in a global chat.

But i'd warn people coming from BfA to Classic - you will get in a trouble if you keep ninja'ing items in regular basis. Your server wide reputation matters and people will remember your name both in good and bad.

Thanks for the read. i hope is all true

(even if it isnt, was a fun read)

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Thanks for the read. i hope is all true

(even if it isnt, was a fun read)

It's completely true. It's not even exaggerated. Every time I meet someone in real life that has also played WOW, I always tell them this story and they always laugh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good read; I was expected the justification at some point, but kudos for being open about it and not looking for sympathy; as you said, lesson learned.

I played on Scarlet Crusade in vanilla, and I had been 60 for a short while, and this was about a month or so before BC launched, and trade/forums started exploding about a player named Rahurm, who apparently had ninjaed an item in UBRS. The story spread out and even made it into the WoWwiki as a meme, i.e., you've been "rahurmed".

So early on in BC, our guild invited him to join, I guess our guild leader had forgotten about his exploits, and he was with us for a few weeks, but no one wanted to group with him...it was sad in a way, but I guess it was too soon for redemption at that point. He gquit quietly and that was the last I heard of him. I hope he learned a lesson as well.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Pretty cute. I was older, 18, so I guess I can never experience quite something like that. We can wind back our games, but not our own time... yet!

You didnt really do anything wrong. Its all the fault of the grouplead for trying to fuck with loot.

I do not remember anything like that happened back there on my server, but it was the biggest server for a long time so ppl could be forgotten after a while.