WoW Remake Concept

For a while, I was thinking about the concept based on basically one thing: what if MMORPG World of Warcraft was made today, what game it would be?
    Few notes here:
    • I'm trying to make it somewhat realistic in terms of development. So nothing really huge and mindblowing here.
    • The story is heavily changed, based on different Blizzard concepts from different times.
    • Many elements also based on different Blizzard concepts.

This is a very raw preview:
    General Points
    • Location – Lordaeron
    • Seven unique races – Humans, Orcs, Trolls, Dwarves, Elves, Forsaken (not undead) and Worgens (not shapeshifters).
    • Ten unique classes – Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Warlock, Necromancer, Paladin, Druid, Priest and Shaman.
    • Five unique customizations for classes (cosmetic and flavour for different races) – Necrolyte, Skald and Witch Doctor for Priest Class; Blood Knight for Paladin Class; Harvest-witch for Druid Class.
    • No hard factions. Each race represents its own faction and has unique relationships with others.
    • No levelling. Progression systems include gear, reputations and content completion.

Race Example: Elves of Eastern Kingdoms
    • Available classes – Warrior, Hunter, Rogue, Druid, Warlock, Necromancer, Mage, Paladin (Blood Knight).
    • Main settlement – Silvermoon City.

The divided city of Silvermoon
    After destructions of orcs invasion and Scourge campaign in Lordaeron, not much left of Elves in Eastern Kingdoms and that changed them forever. But not everyone was changed in the same way and now society divided between two main groups.

High Elves
    Trying to preserve their traditional way many Elves left to the snowy isle of Quel’danas, but some of them still remaining in the Silvermoon, lead by Silver Covenant and remains of Druids.

Blood Elves
    Born in the devastating flame of dragons, this harsh group trying to redefine the place of Elves in the new world. In the absence of Prince Kael’thas, Magister Rommath and sinister Blood Knights control most of Silvermoon.

The Lord
    Lord Lor’themar, the chosen ruler of Silvermoon, trying to maintain a balance between these groups. Although his live eye is green, it said that he ordered to replace his dead one with magical cold blue to symbolise his impartiality.

- - - Updated - - -

Would appreciate any comments and suggestions.
    Last edited by Gnomeland; 2019-05-26 at 12:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeland View Post
    Would appreciate any comments and suggestions.
    Why would you want this? Why EXACTLY does Wow need to be 'remade'? What benefit does this offer Blizzard?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Why would you want this? Why EXACTLY does Wow need to be 'remade'? What benefit does this offer Blizzard?
    I'm not talking about "why"(tho there's many reasons) and definitely not talking about Blizzard here. It's just a concept.

i cant handle the amount of shit this forum brings up anymore

[*]Eleven unique classes – Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Warlock, Necromancer, Paladin, Druid, Priest, Shaman and Druid.

So balance spec would be moonmoonkin?

Quote Originally Posted by SirPaper View Post
    [*]Eleven unique classes – Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Warlock, Necromancer, Paladin, Druid, Priest, Shaman and Druid.

So balance spec would be moonmoonkin?
    Haha. Thank you, my sleepy brains.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    So we should discuss how that floats with players. (Personally not a fan...."content completion" reeks too much of achievement whoring and even more possible abuse from players or Blizzard - you know..stuff like "killing a raidboss in this funny way is now content" (like certain hero of the xyz raider)

And it focuses even more on gear or die, suck my ilv

Not to rain on your parade...these are a few extremely lose and actually random ideas...not even remotely a "concept"
    Yeah, it's just general point to see the reaction and harvest feedback. My vision definitely not centred on raid content and ilvl, but still working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    If you're thinking about the development in realistic terms, then you must realize that it wouldn't be made at all today, because there really isn't sufficient market to support it.

It would likely be released as a single-player RPG (a'la Witcher 3), a single-player open world thing, or a multiplayer hack and slash (with some element of battle-royale) - not as an MMO (especially one with roots far in DikuMUD era).
    Don't want to argue, but that's not the point of this thread. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Not to rain on your parade...these are a few extremely lose and actually random ideas...not even remotely a "concept"
    Wrote the answer but it gone to moderation for some reason

Yeah, it's just general points to see the reactions and feedback. And my vision definitely not centred on raid content or ilvl.

Ten unique classes – Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Warlock, Necromancer, Paladin, Druid, Priest and Shaman.
    Five unique customizations for classes – Necrolyte, Skald and Witch Doctor for Priest Class; Blood Knight for Paladin Class; Harvest-witch for Druid Class.
    I'd have more of a talent oriented class system simliar to rift with basic archtypes such as Warrior, Rogue, Mage, etc with unique classes as talent trees. You could have paladins, DKs, Blademasters, all within one class and free to everyone who trains into it.

It'd be hell to balance but I'd find it fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

10 classes, each with 5 unique customizations. So that's 50 unique class designs? That's quite a lot. How do you differentiate? You listed names of 5, but didn't really say how they are "unique" - and that leaves 45 unique customizations to design and balance.

Is this still a "holy trinity" type of engine with MUD-like combat? Or something else?
    Total number for customizations is 5 for starter content. There is no difference gameplay-wise, it's just cosmetic stuff for different races.

For now yes, it's holy trinity for group content, but still working on this.

10 classes, each with 5 unique customizations. So that's 50 unique class designs? That's quite a lot. How do you differentiate? You listed names of 5, but didn't really say how they are "unique" - and that leaves 45 unique customizations to design and balance.

Is this still a "holy trinity" type of engine with MUD-like combat? Or something else?
    Total number for customizations is 5 for starter content. There is no difference gameplay-wise, it's just cosmetic stuff for different races.

For now yes, it's holy trinity for group content, but still working on this.

This is all just an elaborate way to get High Elves into WoW isn't it...

The question of what WoW would look like if it was made today is easy to answer: It wouldn't. MMO's are a dead genre.
    Also how are Forsaken different from The Undead? The Forsaken are by definition Undead. So like a few of them are alive or something?

The total number of customizations is 5, there's no difference gameplay-wise, only cosmetic for different races.
    Yep, for now, it's holy trinity for group content, but still working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    I'd have more of a talent oriented class system simliar to rift with basic archtypes such as Warrior, Rogue, Mage, etc with unique classes as talent trees. You could have paladins, DKs, Blademasters, all within one class and free to everyone who trains into it.

It'd be hell to balance but I'd find it fun.
    Actually, it was my first option, but it became too messy and complicated.

Well Ok - fair enough.
    Greyscale, sorry, some answers go to moderation (i think because of some words). 5 is the total number of customizations, there's no difference gameplay-wise only cosmetic for different races.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skribzy View Post
    This is all just an elaborate way to get High Elves into WoW isn't it...

The question of what WoW would look like if it was made today is easy to answer: It wouldn't. MMO's are a dead genre.
    Also how are Forsaken different from The Undead? The Forsaken are by definition Undead. So like a few of them are alive or something?
    Couldn't care less about High Elves. And nope, Forsaken isn't by definition Undead, they by definition just forsaken and they all kinda alive, but a bit later about that.

- - - Updated - - -

How would the "No leveling" concept actually work?
    In rough terms – you create your character and complete starting tutorial-story, then you can go whenever you like in the world and do different content. But, of course, some content will be locked behind requirements, it may be as something specific as to reach reputation with the specific faction (significantly different thing than in current wow) or more general like just do X amount of any content and so on. The high-end group content will be based mostly on gear, but it wouldn't be the focus of the game like right now.
    Last edited by Gnomeland; 2019-05-26 at 12:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not talking about "why"(tho there's many reasons) and definitely not talking about Blizzard here. It's just a concept.
    Clearly you aren't talking about 'why'. Hence my question (if there are 'many' reasons, then you shouldn't have a problem answering). Concept is crap, however, if you have any hope of seeing it advance beyond 'concept' you'll have to demonstrate to Blizzard 1) that is viable, and 2) its worth their investment.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Clearly you aren't talking about 'why'. Hence my question (if there are 'many' reasons, then you shouldn't have a problem answering). Concept is crap, however, if you have any hope of seeing it advance beyond 'concept' you'll have to demonstrate to Blizzard 1) that is viable, and 2) its worth their investment.
    Because it's not relevant and there's no goal to "advance", so I don't have to demonstrate to Blizzard anything.
    Last edited by Gnomeland; 2019-05-26 at 12:35 PM.