Which one is the niche market? Retail or Classic?

If you look at Google statistics and twitch viewers etc... You will see there is FAR more interest in WoW Classic.

Which brings me to the next question.

Just like modern Runescape is the niche market, and OSRS have the majority of players.

I think retail is the niche market.

Brother

Thats the million dollar question ALL we forum dwellers have been discussing over the years on forums.

We will only know when Classic launches

Oldschool VS New School

Who is the true market for today? We will find out...(maybe not if blizzard wont release numbers)

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go compare Twitch viewers during expansion release. Then look up viewership trends. Then look up hype. Then look up any numbers of similar threads on this topic. Then remember that Vanilla WoW popularity was largely because it was THE casual MMO 15 years ago and that gaming world has changed dramatically in this time.

Not that any of this will help, since you obviously made your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Go compare Twitch viewers during expansion release. Then look up viewership trends. Then look up hype. Then look up any numbers of similar threads on this topic. Then remember that Vanilla WoW popularity was largely because it was THE casual MMO 15 years ago and that gaming world has changed dramatically in this time.

Not that any of this will help, since you obviously made your mind.
    I actually DID! If you look viewers on BFA beta, (Which wasn't limited to a few levels, but full level cap), you can see viewers ARE NOWHERE NEAR the same as Classic twitch viewers is.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    I actually DID! If you look viewers on BFA beta, (Which wasn't limited to a few levels, but full level cap), you can see viewers ARE NOWHERE NEAR the same as Classic twitch viewers is.
    Beta lasted for months, of course it dropped down eventually. Just like Classic Beta will.

Both. MMOs are niche. WoW caught lightning in a storm and broke the mold. That does not mean it still isn't niche.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Brother

Thats the million dollar question ALL we forum dwellers have been discussing over the years on forums.

We will only know when Classic launches

Oldschool VS New School

Who is the true market for today? We will find out...(maybe not if blizzard wont release numbers)
    Vanilla, as many improvements as it made in the genre, it still did not respect players time. Retail does a better job of that. People today are aware of their time. Classic will draw early for nostalgia and the newness factor, and die off quickly once people remember how shit it was or those that never played feel how "hard" it is.

Viewers tell you nothing about players. Just because you watch a stream from a certain game, does not mean you will/want to play it. Playing takes time, while you can "watch" stream in the background, while doing any other task. Speaking from my personal experience, and that of my friends - most of us watch some Classic stream for the nostalgia, while none of us are planning to really play it.

Also, if you understand the meaning of the word "niche", the question itself is dumb. Retail is aimed primarily at casuals. Classic is not. Casuals are the biggest part of gaming community. Now go check the meaning of the word "niche", and you should be able to answer which one this word applies to.
    Last edited by Dziubla; 2019-05-26 at 03:20 PM. Reason: word
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

I think Classic will be hugely successful in the very start, but this comparison is pretty ridiculous. You've got every big name streamer that ever played WoW (and even some that didn't) playing the Classic beta boosting the numbers immensely, and more or less none of them played the BfA beta. They're not even on the same playing field, not even the in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Both. MMOs are niche. WoW caught lightning in a storm and broke the mold. That does not mean it still isn't niche.

- - - Updated - - -

Vanilla, as many improvements as it made in the genre, it still did not respect players time. Retail does a better job of that. People today are aware of their time. Classic will draw early for nostalgia and the newness factor, and die off quickly once people remember how shit it was or those that never played feel how "hard" it is.
    I think people will be very skeptical and maybe not even join in on classic the first months, but after they try it they will realize how much superior it is to current game design and stick with it.

I think people will be very skeptical and maybe not even join in on classic the first months, but after they try it they will realize how much superior it is to current game design and stick with it.
    But it's not, and they will see.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    But it's not, and they will see.
    He hasn't played it.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

In order to survive, an MMO must evolve and supply an endless stream of content. In that regard, retail has a future while classic does not.

That huge list of "No, those are *not* bugs, Classic really was that way!"-notes that keeps growing on the official forums says otherwise, TBH...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Game vs. Game" type threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead