Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Advertising/Spam/Necro threads

Any way to start infracting the people who bump these threads instead of reporting the thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    sometimes necroing the thread can actually be informative instead of making a new thread though for example megathreads.
    also if they did that pretty much the entire forum would be banned at this point. and i mean THE ENTIRE FORUM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    sometimes necroing the thread can actually be informative instead of making a new thread though for example megathreads.
    also if they did that pretty much the entire forum would be banned at this point. and i mean THE ENTIRE FORUM.
    I’m talking about people replying with shit like “wow necro”. And infractions expire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’m talking about people replying with shit like “wow necro”. And infractions expire.
    Report them for spam

With advert/spam, they seriously need to consider getting some more mods for cleanup duty. Every week the bots come and spam General with their black magic shit and nobody is online to clear it.

Just make a janitor rank that allow people to put obvious threads into a temporary mod only forum which is then looked at when more senior mods come along.
    If the thread is obviously not spam, then the janitor gets his mod status removed (after a consultation). Also allow them to place (at least temporary) posting bans on the same people who create the threads.

Those who prove to be reliable can just remove threads and ban directly.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    With advert/spam, they seriously need to consider getting some more mods for cleanup duty. Every week the bots come and spam General with their black magic shit and nobody is online to clear it.

Just make a janitor rank that allow people to put obvious threads into a temporary mod only forum which is then looked at when more senior mods come along.
    If the thread is obviously not spam, then the janitor gets his mod status removed (after a consultation). Also allow them to place (at least temporary) posting bans on the same people who create the threads.

Those who prove to be reliable can just remove threads and ban directly.
    That is more of an EU/NA thing though. Most mods are NA area as far as I am aware, so there are very few EU/Asian/Oceanic Mods around during the day time for us.
    Some more spreading, or even as you say, something to clean it up with. But with all honesty, seeing as how random some of the mods are in comparison to others when handing out infractions and such, do you really think we need more?

Also, not sure any people would really want to volunteer for "You're not good enough to actually moderate, but we think you're fine to clean shit up" volunteer work.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    That is more of an EU/NA thing though. Most mods are NA area as far as I am aware, so there are very few EU/Asian/Oceanic Mods around during the day time for us.
    That's the main problem, they don't get a big enough geographical spread of people

Some more spreading, or even as you say, something to clean it up with. But with all honesty, seeing as how random some of the mods are in comparison to others when handing out infractions and such, do you really think we need more?
    They should not be able to give infractions to general posters (at least until they have performed a trial modding period), it'd mainly be for the spam thread creators.

Also, not sure any people would really want to volunteer for "You're not good enough to actually moderate, but we think you're fine to clean shit up" volunteer work.
    I mean, I would. I'm fucking sick of seeing "BLACK MAGIC CALL ------" spammed about 50 times in a forum. If I could remove them it'd be great. I wouldn't want to have to deal with the hassle of moderating whole forum posts like a standard mod anyway.
    Speciation Is Gradual

That's the main problem, they don't get a big enough geographical spread of people

They should not be able to give infractions to general posters (at least until they have performed a trial modding period), it'd mainly be for the spam thread creators.

I mean, I would. I'm fucking sick of seeing "BLACK MAGIC CALL ------" spammed about 50 times in a forum. If I could remove them it'd be great. I wouldn't want to have to deal with the hassle of moderating whole forum posts like a standard mod anyway.
    Valid points
    The only issue I can see is ego. If you have a "Half mod position", then the possibility would exist of some of the full mods getting a bit "Well, I am too good to clear spam threads, I am important, the plebs can do it". Wish I could say different but seeing how some of them act, well...*sigh*.

I would agree to do it also, but then you also run the risk of some mods deleting posts they just don't like, from people they don't like because they now have the power to do so, it is a tricky situation sadly.

But overall, with some work/jiggery pokery involved, and non-muppet asshats actually getting the positions, it would be a good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    I would agree to do it also, but then you also run the risk of some mods deleting posts they just don't like, from people they don't like because they now have the power to do so, it is a tricky situation sadly..
    Thats why I recommend a temporary mod-only viewable forum basically acting as a recycle bin where threads are moved to rather than just deleting them off the cuff. The main mod team could monitor that forum at any time and purge as necessary while the main front end appears clean to normal users. If 'Janitors' are removing threads that do not warrant it, then they could have their status removed.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Thank you for the suggestion, @Lollis

You mean just a few "spam janitor"/anti-spam mod rank that would only be authorized to deal with spam cleanup on the targetted big boards and never anything else? (or they immediately lose their job)? Preferably trustworthy posters that could cover the various timezones like how a given subreddit tries to get people from EU, Oceanic, etc for full coverage. Not me btw, as I only get on here a couple times a week lately.

I like this idea a lot tbh @Tziva @chaud Like I know a lot of suggestions here are difficult to implement or come with their own flaws but this one is a 10/10 brilliant idea. Create a new rank and restrict them appropriately (like if it's just threads they might not need to see all of the mod queue/board). Pretty easy to just eye the board for the spam threads, unless they've been seeping heavily into the replies too.

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    I like this idea a lot tbh @Tziva @chaud Like I know a lot of suggestions here are difficult to implement or come with their own flaws but this one is a 10/10 brilliant idea. Create a new rank and restrict them appropriately (like if it's just threads they might not need to see all of the mod queue/board).
    Speaking only for myself: I do not believe we have a way to restrict such a mod ranking to only spam threads.

It's fine to say that if someone got out of line and started deleting other threads, they would be up for some kind of sanction but the truth is that someone with that privilege would likely be able to delete many, many pages of threads before they could be stopped.

Again, speaking only for myself and my understanding of how the site works. I have no role in back-end site management as such. If we could accurately identify spam threads to begin with I would presume no one would ever see them so I don't understand how we could cordon them off to keep other threads secure.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-06-01 at 08:41 PM.
    To contact global moderators with moderation issues please PM any of the following:
    Tziva ■ Radux ■ Simca ■ Elysia ■ Zaelsino ■ xskarma ■ Arlee ■ Venara
    Issues specific to WoW General Discussions/BfA/Classic can be sent to any forum moderator or globals.
    Please report problem posts. Site rules can be found here.

“Music always has been, since ancient times, at least, something very close to rational thinking and to mathematics”- Iannis Xenakis

Part of the problem is that this site and forum are legacy tech, its super easy for a bot to make an account and just spam spam spam away, it's like something from 2009 not 2019 tech and policy wise.

But that's how it is really. Its kind of a hangover site from wow's hay days mostly keeping it's self alive through its politics sub forum and dribbles of news that are mostly just reposts from other sites and collations of blue posts. Unless it's expands or diversify's theres not much point investing here.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2019-06-02 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Speaking only for myself: I do not believe we have a way to restrict such a mod ranking to only spam threads.

It's fine to say that if someone got out of line and started deleting other threads, they would be up for some kind of sanction but the truth is that someone with that privilege would likely be able to delete many, many pages of threads before they could be stopped.

Again, speaking only for myself and my understanding of how the site works. I have no role in back-end site management as such. If we could accurately identify spam threads to begin with I would presume no one would ever see them so I don't understand how we could cordon them off to keep other threads secure.
    Yeah I was thinking you wouldn't be able to foolproof it in the forum software, but just a simple one and done kind of thing. As in, if they overstep their bounds once in the admin logs, they're done. And you could restrict them from seeing the moderator board/and maybe the queue however that works since they have no business dealing with that. You'd still go through a vetting process of sorts, but from a recruitment standpoint it might be easier to find mods who want to do just that one thing than committing to a whole lot more, like Lollis said. For all intents and purposes, the rank could be revoked at any time. There might be additional ways in the software to keep them on task but I won't try to speculate too much on that front (like I don't know if deleted threads go to some sort of junk board and could just be restored if someone started deleting a bunch of legit threads, or if you can make it so they can only delete threads from new users etc).

I like the idea of just calling them Spam Janitors. Would there be enough people interested in being Spam Janitors? Not sure until you try I guess, but you don't need a whole lot of them since it's mostly Gen Discussion and just one job. It'd be worth documenting what time of day these spam posters are attacking the forum to get a feel for what timezone is needed. I'd like to say 5am EST is common.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-06-01 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    There might be additional ways in the software to keep them on task but I won't try to speculate too much on that front (like I don't know if deleted threads go to some sort of junk board and could just be restored if someone started deleting a bunch of legit threads, or if you can make it so they can only delete threads from new users etc).
    A personal anecdote: Back in the Warlord days, during an especially virulent attack of spam from India, I accidentally deleted the flying thread with something like 38,000 posts in it at the time. It was stuck in the middle of the UI with the others and well, mistakes will happen to a sleepy mod at 2:15 a.m. local time. It restored properly, thank God. But so I've been informed that stuff like that with many, many posts can be very hard on the back-end database. It was a traumatic experience personally . So that's a major concern apparently. I'll bow out of this thread now. I've said my piece.
    To contact global moderators with moderation issues please PM any of the following:
    Tziva ■ Radux ■ Simca ■ Elysia ■ Zaelsino ■ xskarma ■ Arlee ■ Venara
    Issues specific to WoW General Discussions/BfA/Classic can be sent to any forum moderator or globals.
    Please report problem posts. Site rules can be found here.

“Music always has been, since ancient times, at least, something very close to rational thinking and to mathematics”- Iannis Xenakis

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

The idea is that the Janitor rank wouldn't actually delete threads but would have the authority to move them to a temporary forum. That way when more senior mods come online, they can go to the forum, check everything, and then finally confirm a full deletion.

This new temporary forum section basically acts like a recycle bin so that if someone goes rogue there is still a safety net. It could even have an X threads per day move limit if necessary.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2019-06-01 at 10:35 PM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

^ I thought the moving was a nice approach, but unfortunately it doesn't clean up the board. Still keeps it as a redirection link with Moved:

If that redirection could be removed, then yeah that could work
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-06-02 at 02:35 AM.

I think adding something like Google's image recaptcha to every post submission form for <10 post accounts (or accounts that were created within 24hrs) would cut out some of the frequency of the spam

It's fairly painless integration and you will freely lean on Google's resources for things like classifying VPNs and TOR exit nodes (they probably have more resources than MMOC staff).

Seems like fairly low-hanging fruit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    I think adding something like Google's image recaptcha to every post submission form for <10 post accounts (or accounts that were created within 24hrs) would cut out some of the frequency of the spam

It's fairly painless integration and you will freely lean on Google's resources for things like classifying VPNs and TOR exit nodes (they probably have more resources than MMOC staff).

Seems like fairly low-hanging fruit to me.
    Chaud has said that it's not bots, but actual people spamming, so doing a recaptcha wouldn't work.

If we infracted them all, how would I know who to call for Black Magic?

In seriousness though, Mods generally clean up the Advertising Spam as quickly as they can. Necro spam is often harder to do since you have to decide whether the Thread is worthwhile being resurrected if it is new information or a continuation of the thread after a period of time, vs a thread that was pretty pointless when it was originally made, being brought back just by some low post count user trying to bump their post Count.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Chaud has said that it's not bots, but actual people spamming, so doing a recaptcha wouldn't work.
    Yes I know. But look at the test spam that they usually post first. All those threads are manually posted by a new account in very short timespan.
    And then they proceed to post the real spam.

Having to solve a image captcha for all your posts until you get enough "rep" would slow them down and make them work harder.
    The idea is to raise the bar (and therefore the cost of their "attack") as it's impossible to fully protect from human who is manually posting spam.