1. #1
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    30,291

    Posting timer for threads

    Hey @chaud @Tziva,

    quick question here.

    Would it be useful/helpful to increase a posting timer on threads to avoid a sudden wave of them appearing from the Spam posting accounts?

    Maybe one thread every 5/10 minutes, or have the timer decrease following the amount of posts you have?

    I would that give us the same issue we end up talking about, which is luring them into other threads with spammy posts?
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  2. #2
    They just have to block new users from creating new threads for a week after subscribing
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

  3. #3
    It'd be nice if there was a way to report an account, instead of individual threads they spam.

  4. #4
    Does seem silly that these spam bots can go for hours without anyone taking action.

  5. #5
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    30,291
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    They just have to block new users from creating new threads for a week after subscribing
    That would just push spammers into threads and post.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kichigaijin View Post
    It'd be nice if there was a way to report an account, instead of individual threads they spam.
    When you report the thread/post, you are technically reporting the account. Every moderator can shut down a spam account, but they aren't permitted to handle or delete threads in sections that aren't theirs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlae View Post
    Does seem silly that these spam bots can go for hours without anyone taking action.
    Hence I enquire. Think 100+ posts is a little too high to permit a spammer.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    That would just push spammers into threads and post.
    If that is the case, your suggestion will do the exact same thing.

  7. #7
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    30,291
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    If that is the case, your suggestion will do the exact same thing.
    Hence I ask if it would be as high a threat.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord Leotheras the Blind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In SSC banished by Murkbloods again.
    Posts
    4,131
    I keep saying that they should actually have the moderators manually approve new accounts. But lets face it, them doing anything other than handing out infractions whenever their feefees get hurt (and in turn causing posters to just say fuck the rules and make burner accounts to just shit post over and over) is beyond anything they're capable of.
    Just remember that Leftists actually believe rape isn't as bad as being called a cunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    If you aren't more hurt by words than "sticks and stones" you're a simpleton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    They don't do that either. There has not been a single instance of tyranny in American history that has been prevented or stopped by guns being a thing.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Hence I ask if it would be as high a threat.
    Probably yes. Although I don't think your idea, or the idea of only being able to create threads after a certain amount of posts, will move the spammers to post inside threads. I think they are more likely to move on to a different website in those cases.

  10. #10
    A 6 hour cooldown on posting threads would be fine with me.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I keep saying that they should actually have the moderators manually approve new accounts. But lets face it, them doing anything other than handing out infractions whenever their feefees get hurt (and in turn causing posters to just say fuck the rules and make burner accounts to just shit post over and over) is beyond anything they're capable of.
    Thank you. I would have said the same thing but I'd just get another infraction for it.
    Months.

  12. #12
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    30,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I keep saying that they should actually have the moderators manually approve new accounts. But lets face it, them doing anything other than handing out infractions whenever their feefees get hurt (and in turn causing posters to just say fuck the rules and make burner accounts to just shit post over and over) is beyond anything they're capable of.
    As a previous moderator, I can almost believe it would be too much work for a volunteer to approve manually - especially since some spam accounts has names almost like normal posting accounts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Probably yes. Although I don't think your idea, or the idea of only being able to create threads after a certain amount of posts, will move the spammers to post inside threads. I think they are more likely to move on to a different website in those cases.
    Will, if they were to move on, sure, no loss for us.

    - - - Updated - - -

    What about a grace period?

    The first hour you cannot post? This would though be counter productive vs. genuine posting but another thought.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  13. #13
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    32,150
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    A 6 hour cooldown on posting threads would be fine with me.
    Would be a start. Even with my time here (11 years) I hardly feel the urge to make new threads - so I doubt it would really hurt anyone if you only can make 4 threads a day.

    Spamming threads? Sure, that still is an issue (though I wonder if you can't somehow disallow the phone numbers they spam)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post

    What about a grace period?

    The first hour you cannot post? This would though be counter productive vs. genuine posting but another thought.
    Sure...why not? Do people really have a problem wit this? Like "Oh..my comments to a 15 year old game (or on a movie / game / fun stuff) are so important, I will immediately move to another site if I can't ejaculate them right away"

  14. #14
    Why not just send them a PM instead of starting a new thread?

  15. #15
    Scarab Lord Leotheras the Blind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In SSC banished by Murkbloods again.
    Posts
    4,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    As a previous moderator, I can almost believe it would be too much work for a volunteer to approve manually - especially since some spam accounts has names almost like normal posting accounts.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Will, if they were to move on, sure, no loss for us.

    - - - Updated - - -

    What about a grace period?

    The first hour you cannot post? This would though be counter productive vs. genuine posting but another thought.
    Why not just get two or three people specifically to do it? Sure it won't be perfect and some might slip through, but the majority will be turned away. What are the odds that both their burner email and their burner account are both going to look legit?

    Also, add in a free "premium" account for those "mods" but also don't let them have the rest of the not tools. I'm sure there's enough people who would do it.
    Just remember that Leftists actually believe rape isn't as bad as being called a cunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    If you aren't more hurt by words than "sticks and stones" you're a simpleton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    They don't do that either. There has not been a single instance of tyranny in American history that has been prevented or stopped by guns being a thing.

  16. #16
    Old God Low Hanging Fruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX - USA
    Posts
    10,721
    Should limit posting new threads period. I mean some people here have like 30k posts and do nothing but what pops up on breaking news feeds as fast as possible and don't even get involved with the conversation.

  17. #17
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    19,195
    As noted in many prior threads: anything that restricts spammers from making new threads instead encourages them to make their posts within existing threads which makes them much, much harder to track down.

    As far as timer for posting in general even outside of thread creation, chaud will have to address that. I have nothing to do with site development; that's exclusively him. (it being a one man show is also a reason why we're not able to roll out new features that aren't priorities). He's aware of this thread so consider the idea passed on.

    For future reference, please do not use the mention feature to summon people to a thread they are not currently participating in. The point of the system is to notify people to responses to their posts within an ongoing discussion. Additionally, if your message is directed to a specific person, a private message is probably more appropriate than creating a whole thread and @ing them.
    on the youtubes

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •