Cuba legalises Wi-Fi routers in private homes

Cubans will be able to get Wi-Fi in their homes for the first time, the government announced on Wednesday, relaxing yet more restrictions in one of the most disconnected countries in the world.

The measure, announced by state media, provides a legal status to thousands of Cubans who created homemade digital networks with smuggled equipment.

These DIY networks had been illegal but were generally tolerated by authorities in recent years.

It also appears to allow private businesses to provide internet to customers, the potential start in Cuba of internet cafes, so far virtually unknown.

The new rules will go into effect on July 29, bringing about an end to the practice whereby Cubans would have to buy an internet access card, then gather beneath an internet signal point – often in the main plaza of a town – to get connected. The cost was prohibitive for many.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...private-homes/

This is good to see. It wasn't that long ago that Cuba was like North Korea when it came to internet. On the elite members of the communist party were allowed to have it.

And then they slowly opened up. Last year, Cuban's finally got unrestricted access to the internet. All of this was via your phone.

And now you can have internet in your home.

However, all internet goes through one government ISP, so every URL request you make is still monitored.

Why does the communist Cuban government monitor its citizens browsing? Why was the communist Cuban government afraid of the internet?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    This is good to see. It wasn't that long ago that Cuba was like North Korea when it came to internet. On the elite members of the communist party were allowed to have it.

And then they slowly opened up. Last year, Cuban's finally got unrestricted access to the internet. All of this was via your phone.

However, all internet goes through one government ISP, so every URL request you make is still monitored.

Why does the communist Cuban government monitor its citizens browsing? Why was the communist Cuban government afraid of the internet?
    You mean like the United States government does?

Awkward...

15+ Year Old Account
    You know, I think the millennial leftists in the US might be on to something. We should embrace communism and turn the US into a 3rd world shithole country so that we can rejoice when we are given access to a basic modern necessity. And just do away with the free market capitalism and plunge us all into poverty so that people can be thankful again for the little they have.

/s
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    You know, I think the millennial leftists in the US might be on to something. We should embrace communism and turn the US into a 3rd world shithole country so that we can rejoice when we are given access to a basic modern necessity. And just do away with the free market capitalism and plunge us all into poverty so that people can be thankful again for the little they have.

/s
    So, you must be outraged at Trump's opposition to free-market capitalism... right?

/s
    so you mean exactly as the us is today? good thinking, my clearly not a communist friend

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Hubcap is incapable of making a thread where he makes the US look bad, he has to try shit on any other country. Bad things don't exist in the US for Hubcap. Unless he's complaining about "leftists", I guess.
    Well, considering he's already been shown to be a liar, hypocrite (and not actually an American), then he requires little effort to counter.

/s
    Countries are pretty reliant on trade and Cuba has been cut off from the rest of the world because of embargos. Thats the main reason they are so far behind. Tariffs are already anti free market so if thats what you want the US is on the right track.

7+ Year Old Account

I think they realize that they won't be able to stop it. If there's a will there's a way.

So now we will get to see some Cuban cam models woop woop!
    illuminati all over my body

Cuba is going full China here

Hopefully the next US president doesnt commit the same mistake like previous leaders did.

Trump reversing the trend but a shame Obama killed one of the more generous refugee programs for nothing :/

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Countries are pretty reliant on trade and Cuba has been cut off from the rest of the world because of embargos. Thats the main reason they are so far behind. Tariffs are already anti free market so if thats what you want the US is on the right track.

Only America embargoed Cuba. I can't see how one country can make a huge difference. The EU has a bigger economy than America or did before the Brexit.

But overall, it's nice to see Cuba move forward. More internet freedom is a good thing for Cuba.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Hubcap is incapable of making a thread where he makes the US look bad, he has to try shit on any other country. Bad things don't exist in the US for Hubcap. Unless he's complaining about "leftists", I guess.
    So this is Hubcap, just trying to hide behind a new username? That's pretty cowardly.

I was gonna make some wise crack, but this is actually a good thing.

Not only for them, but it's always nice to have a moment of "we take X for granted"

Only America embargoed Cuba. I can't see how one country can make a huge difference. The EU has a bigger economy than America or did before the Brexit.

But overall, it's nice to see Cuba move forward. More internet freedom is a good thing for Cuba.
    By "EU" you mean basically NATO countries and there was no way in hell any NATO country was going to openly trade with Cuba until more recent times.

Cuba had russia, and only russia. And it's not like it was easy for Russia to help them out, especially during the cold war.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    You want me to set up your strawman again so you can knock it over?
    It's ok cupcake, you just go on hating America.
    Setup all the strawmen you like.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Oh, plenty of posters do it."Give Sethrak Blizz" has had more names than I can remember, for instance lol
    I'm pretty sure it's the same person.

*allegedly
    Last edited by Machismo; 2019-05-31 at 04:19 PM.

Oh, plenty of posters do it."Give Sethrak Blizz" has had more names than I can remember, for instance lol
    /pat

/pat

Tut. tut.

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    So this is Hubcap, just trying to hide behind a new username? That's pretty cowardly.
    I think he watched game of thrones and liked the name. If he wanted to hide he would have changed his pp.. lol