Poll: Would you ever disown a family member?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Blood means nothing. I was disowned by my own mother because I was an obstacle to her happiness, literally her reason.

After my father died, she found a new man, but there was little me who she had to take care of, which got in a way of their relationship. The decision was made, I was disowned and put into the care of an orphanage, had to live there for almost half a year before my grandparents, mother's parents who lived in another city, picked me up and became my official guardians. I was later sent abroad to study, so I didn't live my grandparents either. My mother's happiness didn't last long though, few years later she died. Karma is a bitch.

Personally, I would disown a relative, only if they did something horrible or unacceptable though.

I should be disowned by mine and have been by most of it. I'm rather worthless.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Family is the most important thing in my life. That being said for me to disown family member would take something really extreme done on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yep voting for Trump, no joke, I am not in contact with any family that voted for Trump or at least has ever said so or talked about it, but if they had they'd be disowned.
    You really need break from the Internet...extended one

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Voting Trump is not some silly shit though. If you take a look at what he has done, his statements and his track record to date and still vote Trump that is a big problem. Voting Trump isn't like voting Reagan who is a political choice I do not agree with but a valid choice non the less. If someone votes Trump in the next election they are not even on speaking terms with reality.
    Someone is watching CNN to much...want me to burst your delusional bubble?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    So basically, you just ignored what I said. Gotcha.
    No. Or I would have not even answered you.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

My sister essentially disowned our family; her mind was poisoned by the man who was previously my stepdad, but we are all waiting for her to see sense and come back. I personally feel disowned by my fathers side of the family also, but because they never heard my side of a story I genuinely cannot be bothered with them. If they want to mend broken bridges that's fine, but I am not interested in people who don't seem to care about me
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    Blood means nothing. I was disowned by my own mother because I was an obstacle to her happiness, literally her reason.

After my father died, she found a new man, but there was little me who she had to take care of, which got in a way of their relationship. The decision was made, I was disowned and put into the care of an orphanage, had to live there for almost half a year before my grandparents, mother's parents who lived in another city, picked me up and became my official guardians. I was later sent abroad to study, so I didn't live my grandparents either. My mother's happiness didn't last long though, few years later she died. Karma is a bitch.

Personally, I would disown a relative, only if they did something horrible or unacceptable though.
    Bah...

hate to see this story Is-

My mother did everything for us...

I hope you are in peace despite the hardship.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really disown but if I don't want to speak to someone I just don't. And it would have to be for a far more serious issue than something petty like voting for the Fat Retard currently in office. If I did I'd basically lose more than half my family and a significant amount of my close friends over something temporary.

The only person I've "disowned" is my brother for the way he treated my father. I won't go into details but its been quite a few years since we have spoken and it's not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    lol the hypocrisy of this coming from a christian.
    Baptised and took sacraments just because it's the norm for any christian born kid, and I did it because a) my parents would be happy that way b) I would be able to never step foot inside a church again after confirmation, but I never gave 2 shits about god or jesus honestly and that's exactly my point .

I can scream blasphemy all day and night and no one will ever do anything about it, try that among muslims and you might be able to catch a glipse of your neck insides.
    There is a whole region in Italy known for using blasphemy as a conjunction between sentences .
    Christianity is really weak as a religion while Islam instead is an iron fist ruling tool and as I hate being subject to stupid rules that particular religion is everything I stand against.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    My sister essentially disowned our family; her mind was poisoned by the man who was previously my stepdad, but we are all waiting for her to see sense and come back. I personally feel disowned by my fathers side of the family also, but because they never heard my side of a story I genuinely cannot be bothered with them. If they want to mend broken bridges that's fine, but I am not interested in people who don't seem to care about me
    Life's too short.

Fuck em.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Already have, namely for my sexuality was a butt end of their jokes. In a tough spot to break ice? "Hey, my brother and your brother could hook up." Need attention turned towards you? "I think my brother could have done X in any bathroom, that sneaky devil." Then always looked to me to get money for a drug fix. So no, not a member of my family any more.

And I know family member who disowned others like myself for voting not strict Democratic in local elections, something I just won't do cause exchange of ideas, yadda yadda yadda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I don't disown anything I'm not petty. I would stop communicating with them actively if they called me or whatever I am mature enough to answer but I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    Yes , if anybody in my family converted to islam
    I don't follow this logic. Islam is just as bullshit as any of the other religions so why would you care?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    [IMG]SNIP
    I think less of you for your justification, but if you're willing to demonize and disown family who voted for Trump permanently then I don't suppose you'd care.

Have you ever or would you ever disown a family member?

Somewhat. I don't communicate with my Aunt (my father's sister) at all. I haven't spoken to her in months and the extent of my contact is my name on a birthday/Christmas card.

Is there anything you would disown a family member for?

She did quite a lot of shit. While my Grandmother (her mother) was mentally deteriorating she took advantage of her quite a bit, would play these pathetic almost games, trying to be the favorite child etc but she did fuck all. One of those people who did nothing to look after an elderly relative but wanted to be thought of as someone who did, even to neighbors who knew she did nothing. Following my grandmothers death she immediately rummaged through her possessions and sold her engagement and marriage rings so quickly that it can't have been a great deal. She also took some other stuff and agreed to the sale of other things at below what they were worth. That's 100% on my father being naive and trusting her after decades of her being a cunt, but we pretty much cut her out after that.

She also had zero contact when my father died, didn't even attend his funeral despite being notified. So fuck her tbh. I might go to her funeral so I can piss on the grave but other than that, I've just maintained minimal contact. Certainly not for my father's sake, he hated her by the end too. After my father's death my mother and I both made wills to ensure she gets nothing in the event of our deaths.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...226-story.html

https://www.quora.com/What-is-Trump-...ement-Syndrome

What is Trump Derangement Syndrome?

Trump Derangement Syndrome is a fairly new psychological problem.

We started seeing it very shortly after Trump announced his candidacy in 2015.

It is a recognizable phenomenon characterized by several symptoms:

1.) An absolute adoration and blind trust of a cultivated personality.

Symptoms include odd facial expressions, changes in behavior and wardrobe, sudden illegibility of social media feeds, the sudden belief that a bankrupt reality show host would make a good leader of the free world.

2.) Incapacitating Cognitive Dissonance associated with anything related to Donald Trump

Symptoms include extraordinary mental discomfort related to contradictory beliefs i.e. “Law Enforcement cannot be questioned” “the FBI is Evil” — “Corporate Media is all Fake News” “Fox News is always right”

3.) Inability to distinguish fact from Fiction

Symptoms include believing a man who lies so regularly that more falsehoods escape his lips than truth, especially when that man says someone else is lying.

4.) Loss of perspective on what Patriotism means exactly

Symptoms include tolerance of Un-American Ideals, Worship of unfriendly foreign states, respect or Tolerance for ideological influences we have literally had to go to war with at various points in history

5.) The belief that anything negative is in no way related to Donald Trump, but anything positive somehow is.

6.) Extreme levels of aggression and anger aimed at anyone unwilling to join the cult of personality

Symptoms include, oh hell, just look at them.

6.) Irrational thoughts potentially leading to criminal and terroristic behavior

Now. If you really want to understand a disease of any kind, it's a good idea to look for “patient zero”

Ladies and gentlemen we have found patient zero for Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Here he is in all his glory:

That guy. The guy deranged enough to think he was fit to lead this great nation. The guy who thinks he knows more than the generals. Or the economists. Or the professional lawmakers. Or his own lawyers. OR…hell. Anyone.

A man with a level of Narcissistic Personality Disorder so deeply ingrained that he can't let John McCain rest in his freaking grave without feeling insulted.

TDS at its core, ladies and gentlemen.

A dangerous disease we must eradicate.

Treatment involves intensive immersion in a wider pool of information sources, reading of factual documents related to presidential misdeeds, Intense self-reflection, and whiskey.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I don't disown anything I'm not petty. I would stop communicating with them actively if they called me or whatever I am mature enough to answer but I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't follow this logic. Islam is just as bullshit as any of the other religions so why would you care?
    Because in my eyes it's self inflicted slavery and a miserable existence , if you read the follow ups I already stated why i think that

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Because in my eyes it's self inflicted slavery and a miserable existence , if you read the follow ups I already stated why i think that
    And you don't think Christianity has all that? I mean the bible has sections about how much you have to pay a girl's father for raping her, how to beat your slaves, and other just as awful shit. That and Christians have done way worse in the past. I mean if you want to ignore all the facts I guess that's your prerogative.

My dad left me before i was born and my aunt left her son(my cousin)when she married to a other women(after divorcing his father),So we chose to ignore her.

Family is not related to blood.

It's the people who act as family you can call family.

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Bah...

hate to see this story Is-

My mother did everything for us...

I hope you are in peace despite the hardship.
    It's more than 20 years ago, so I don't really care about it. TBQH, I can't say that I cared about it that much even back then due to how mother's and my relationship was even before my father died. I guess her maternal instinct didn't kick in :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...226-story.html

https://www.quora.com/What-is-Trump-...ement-Syndrome

What is Trump Derangement Syndrome?

Trump Derangement Syndrome is a fairly new psychological problem.

We started seeing it very shortly after Trump announced his candidacy in 2015.

It is a recognizable phenomenon characterized by several symptoms:

1.) An absolute adoration and blind trust of a cultivated personality.

Symptoms include odd facial expressions, changes in behavior and wardrobe, sudden illegibility of social media feeds, the sudden belief that a bankrupt reality show host would make a good leader of the free world.

2.) Incapacitating Cognitive Dissonance associated with anything related to Donald Trump

Symptoms include extraordinary mental discomfort related to contradictory beliefs i.e. “Law Enforcement cannot be questioned” “the FBI is Evil” — “Corporate Media is all Fake News” “Fox News is always right”

3.) Inability to distinguish fact from Fiction

Symptoms include believing a man who lies so regularly that more falsehoods escape his lips than truth, especially when that man says someone else is lying.

4.) Loss of perspective on what Patriotism means exactly

Symptoms include tolerance of Un-American Ideals, Worship of unfriendly foreign states, respect or Tolerance for ideological influences we have literally had to go to war with at various points in history

5.) The belief that anything negative is in no way related to Donald Trump, but anything positive somehow is.

6.) Extreme levels of aggression and anger aimed at anyone unwilling to join the cult of personality

Symptoms include, oh hell, just look at them.

6.) Irrational thoughts potentially leading to criminal and terroristic behavior

Now. If you really want to understand a disease of any kind, it's a good idea to look for “patient zero”

Ladies and gentlemen we have found patient zero for Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Here he is in all his glory:

That guy. The guy deranged enough to think he was fit to lead this great nation. The guy who thinks he knows more than the generals. Or the economists. Or the professional lawmakers. Or his own lawyers. OR…hell. Anyone.

A man with a level of Narcissistic Personality Disorder so deeply ingrained that he can't let John McCain rest in his freaking grave without feeling insulted.

TDS at its core, ladies and gentlemen.

A dangerous disease we must eradicate.

Treatment involves intensive immersion in a wider pool of information sources, reading of factual documents related to presidential misdeeds, Intense self-reflection, and whiskey.
    Biggest self own I've seen here in awhile

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    And you don't think Christianity has all that? I mean the bible has sections about how much you have to pay a girl's father for raping her, how to beat your slaves, and other just as awful shit. That and Christians have done way worse in the past. I mean if you want to ignore all the facts I guess that's your prerogative.
    But do we still follow that nonsense ? fuck no. Have I ever read the bible ? lol not a chance in hell I ever will . Again I'm talking about my family not the whole world's christian faith , I literally couldn't care less what people not related to me do in their households . The point is this freedom I am lucky to enjoy and the same freedom I will allow to my kids , If then that kid wants to reject that freedom in exchange for a cage , though shit but I won't be there to watch them suffer from such an idiotic decision.

Also to clarify , I don't plan on baptising my children to begin with.
    Last edited by valax; 2019-05-30 at 02:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Baptised and took sacraments just because it's the norm for any christian born kid, and I did it because a) my parents would be happy that way b) I would be able to never step foot inside a church again after confirmation, but I never gave 2 shits about god or jesus honestly and that's exactly my point .

I can scream blasphemy all day and night and no one will ever do anything about it, try that among muslims and you might be able to catch a glipse of your neck insides.
    There is a whole region in Italy known for using blasphemy as a conjunction between sentences .
    Christianity is really weak as a religion while Islam instead is an iron fist ruling tool and as I hate being subject to stupid rules that particular religion is everything I stand against.
    Yeah, we get it, you're a massive hypocrit. People keeping to themselves and not harming you is enough to write them out of your life, funny how that works.

Or do you consider all muslims to be extreme? In which you should go check out that islamaphobia.

- - - Updated - - -

But do we still follow that nonsense ? fuck no. Have I ever read the bible ? lol not a chance in hell I ever will . Again I'm talking about my family not the whole world's christian faith , I literally couldn't care less what people not related to me do in their households . The point is this freedom I am lucky to enjoy and the same freedom I will allow to my kids , If then that kid wants to reject that freedom in exchange for a cage , though shit but I won't be there to watch them suffer from such an idiotic decision.

Also to clarify , I don't plan on baptising my children to begin with.
    But only the freedom to be christian, not those dirty brown people's religion!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Quite hilarious that you of all people comment on tolerance lol.
    Yeah, how dare I not tolerate people who wish harm upon other people.