Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I enjoyed it, they really let you know how powerful and agile the titans are and it comes across very well. I'm glad they didn't shy away from Ghidorah's Origins and doubled down on it while continuing to build their own lore for Goji (literally putting the God in Godzilla so to say). I think Godzilla films overall though are in a bad spot where the human drama and the kaiju fights are in a constant tug of war. Either the Kaiju Fights are fantastic (this, most of hesei, etc) or the human factor is fantastic (shin, 54, etc), never really both and this one leads towards the fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

I'm now fairly certain most people in this thread don't watch godzilla movies.

Let's take a trip back to say godzilla giant all out monsters attack. A solid hour of human stuff.
    Godzilla v mechagodzilla a solid hour of human stuff.
    Godzilla destroy all monsters a huge plotline involving the humans going to space, probably takes about an hour.

Honestly it's ok if you're not a fan, but don't pretend to be one. Godzilla movies always have human elements. And Godzilla King of the Monsters is probably one of the least offensive in that regard.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And then Gojira was REEEEEEEE
    But then King Ghidorah went REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE too

Loved the movie

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I'm now fairly certain most people in this thread don't watch godzilla movies.

Let's take a trip back to say godzilla giant all out monsters attack. A solid hour of human stuff.
    Godzilla v mechagodzilla a solid hour of human stuff.
    Godzilla destroy all monsters a huge plotline involving the humans going to space, probably takes about an hour.

Honestly it's ok if you're not a fan, but don't pretend to be one. Godzilla movies always have human elements. And Godzilla King of the Monsters is probably one of the least offensive in that regard.
    I know right. Godzilla vs the Thing constantly pulls away from Godzilla and Mothra for the human actors even in the major fights. A ton of the old Godzilla movies do this and many of even the best ones have long boring human parts.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2019-06-02 at 03:17 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    I know right. Godzilla vs the Thing constantly pulls away from Godzilla and Mothra for the human actors even in the major fights. A ton of the old Godzilla movies do this and many of even the best ones have long boring human parts.
    Well, I much preferred the previous movie's fight with less interruption LET THEM FIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The human characters aren't even that bad the only ones that really suck are the mother and father. Serizawa was excellent.
    So they don't suck, except the two most important ones that we see literally everywhere ?

Serizawa was good (excellent? sigh...) until his cliche sacrifice.

Random I-know-everything Scientist: Nobody can go there. If the temperature doesn't melt you, the radiation will.
    Serizawa: I will go there, alone, then.
    Random I-know-everything Scientist: Didn't you listen ? Nobody can, too hot, too radiated, you'll die before approaching

*Serizawa proceeds with arriving on set, activates the bomb, takes off his suit, pats Godzilla's head*

I'm pretty sure he could have returned to the submarine as he didn't seem affected by this "insane temperature and radiation level", which would have supposedly killed everything approaching, even the Drones died long before approaching Godzilla.

(Not to mention I really loved that the "manual activation required" for the nuclear bomb was "hit 1 then hit "Go!"", then the one-minute countdown started. Yeah, absolutely impossible to do that before then send a drone, they arrived close enough for the bomb to be effective.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    So they don't suck, except the two most important ones that we see literally everywhere ?

Random I-know-everything Scientist: Nobody can go there. If the temperature doesn't melt you, the radiation will.
    Random I-know-everything Scientist: Didn't you listen ? Nobody can, too hot, too radiated, you'll die before approaching

*Serizawa proceeds with arriving on set, activates the bomb, takes off his suit, pats Godzilla's head*

I'm pretty sure he could have returned to the submarine as he didn't seem affected by this "insane temperature and radiation level", which would have supposedly killed everything approaching, even the Drones died long before approaching Godzilla.

(Not to mention I really loved that the "manual activation required" for the nuclear bomb was "hit 1 then hit "Go!"", then the one-minute countdown started. Yeah, absolutely impossible to do that before then send a drone, they arrived close enough for the bomb to be effective.)
    Machines and technology are more sensitive to radiation than humans are. Its entirely possible for a human to walk into a high radiation zone and walk out alive even if the machines would be fried on approach. That scene was actually the one I had least issues with as far as human interactions were concerned - its entirely possible Serizawa got blasted with so much radiation that he would have preferred to die in a nuclear blast than to have to endure ARS down the road.

Drones didnt seem powerful enough to carry a nuke of that size anyway. Though these are the same drones that could keep up with Godzilla swimming in the water....so who knows.

The movie was chock full of cliches otherwise, though - starting with an uber important Mcguffin being left unguarded in the room where a kid could steal it, and later figure out instantly how to plug it into a stadium loudspeaker system (but at the same time be too dumb to figure out how to turn off a laptop after unplugging it from the said loudspeaker system) to military people focusing too much on human family drama instead of saving the world, or the main hitler-like villain mom having a change of heart after having a conversation with her ex..

10+ Year Old Account
    A silly movie at times. They obviously took some liberties to show off the monsters. Nothing that ruined the movie but did take from it. A fun movie though that you can just turn off your brain to and enjoy. There were parts where I was like, "this would have been insane if they just let Michael Bay handle this scene."

I'll give it maybe a 6 or 7. Decent movie to kick off the summer. Didn't bring anything new to the table.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Absolutely stunning, the biblical symbolism with Ghidorah was perfect. The human subplot wasn't great but anyone detracting points for a bad human subplot misses the point of a MONSTER Movie.

I didn't come for human drama, I came for GIANT MONSTERS DESTROYING EACH OTHER and this movie had above average characterization and Pathos for the monsters imo.

Ghidorah just had sheer PRESENCE, Mothra was dazzling, and Godzilla was so perfectly balanced between being a force of nature and a thinking creature as well.

And Rodan...

God I swear Rodan had a shit-eating grin half the time. I loved every minute of it.
    Twas brillig

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    God I swear Rodan had a shit-eating grin half the time. I loved every minute of it.
    Rodan was a dick the whole movie, and I loved it.

This was Ghidorah's movie to be honest. Talk about big dick energy.

Lets did not forget the insane genocidal Mom and her clueless husband ... fUck I tough I will get brain cancer ... That's how powerful the characters and the human story was...

I didn't pay too much attention to the human elements, although I thought fleshing out Monarch was a nice touch. (And I did like seeing Ziyi Zhang...)
    I got what I wanted; monsters fighting monsters.

Mothra, the queen symbolizing hope and light...and rebirth. (important point).
    Ghidorah...the alien king. End credit scene has the Eco-terrorist acquiring the head of Ghidorah

10+ Year Old Account
    Bradley Whitford was more annoying than he was in Billy Madison and could've used a triple-headed Ghidorah blast up the pee hole. Would've liked more battles involving the other titans, but whatever... pretty solid Godzilla flick!
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, that whole sequence was silly. Especially the 'nobody can go there' IMMEDIATELY followed by 'I'll go'.

That flying aircraft carrier was badass. Everyone inside would've completely blacked out during the Rodan pursuit. Also the interior shots didn't match up with the exterior shots. No one that thing had as much interior space as they led us to believe.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-06-04 at 03:09 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Mothra is best girl. I had a great time. The movie exceeded my expectations. Great soundtrack too.

Been a fan of Godzilla since the late 1980's and have to say that this film did not disappoint! Yes, sure enough those pesky humans keep getting in the way with their overly dramatic family issues but that is not the point of the film.

Seeing the big G kick the snot out of his old adversary King Ghidora and then King Ghidora returning the favour made the hairs on my arms stand up. They made G look like a absolute mother f***er as well this time round. Very intimidating.

A nice nod to the original '54 movie with the oxygen destroyer and also bringing back the original score.

Overall an improvement on the 2014 Godzilla film as there was much more monster time, which makes me happy.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

I just saw it myself, and it's entertaining.

Anyone catch that Muto at the end? I wonder how that Muto feels that it's the last of it's kind now that Godzilla killed the other two in the last movie.

Not seen the movie yet but looks good at 1st glimpse.