Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Alien’ Producer Drops First Details of New Ripley Film: ‘A Meditation on the Franchise’

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/al...202238277/amp/
    Zack Sharf June 17, 2020 4:38PM EDT

Sigourney Weaver sent a shockwave through “Alien” fandom last week when she revealed franchise producer Walter Hill had sent her a 50-page script treatment for a fifth movie centered around Ellen Ripley, the action icon Weaver has played in films such as Ridley Scott’s 1979 original “Alien” and James Cameron’s 1986 sequel “Aliens.” Weaver, who hasn’t played Ripley since 1997’s “Alien Resurrection,” suggested the character deserves a break from the big screen. In a new report published this week by SyFy Wire, Hill is confident Weaver and Ripley have what it takes to pull off a fifth “Alien” movie.

“Sigourney, as she has from the very beginning, is being too modest about her proven ability to pull off the idea,” Hill said in statement. “[The idea] is to tell a story that scares the pants off your date, kicks the ass of a new Xenomorph, and conducts a meditation on both the universe of the ‘Alien’ franchise and the destiny of the character of Lt. Ellen Ripley.”

SyFy reveals that Hill wrote the script treatment with David Giler, another producer who has been with the “Alien” franchise since Scott’s 1979 original. Both Hill and Giler have shared story credits on “Aliens” and “Alien 3.” Hill and Giler’s production company, Brandywine Productions, also confirmed that the 50-page treatment is not some story script that’s being dusted off. The two completed the most recent treatment draft in March of this year.

Brandywine Productions also sent over a picture of the treatment’s cover page, which is published on SyFy Wire. The cover includes both the original “Alien” tagline (“In space no one can hear you scream”) and a variation on that tagline (“In space no one can hear you dream”), plus quotes from Edgar Allan Poe (“All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream”) and William Tecumseh Sherman (“War is hell”).

What do these taglines and quotes mean for a fifth Ripley-centric “Alien” movie? It’s anyone’s guess. “District 9” director Neill Blomkamp famously spent years developing a fifth “Alien” movie centered around Weaver’s character only for the plans to fall through. Scott has continued the franchise most recently with prequel films “Prometheus” and “Alien: Covenant,” but the poor box office returns have put Scott’s plan for more movies on hold. At this point, Hill and Giler’s treatment for a new Ripley movie is the most promising sign “Alien” fans have for the franchise’s future.

The prequels would be ok... as normal sci-fi movies. But definitely not horror, and not Alien movies. What made the original Alien movies successful, was the fact you never knew where he was. In Covenant, everytime the Alien is somewhere, the camera makes a huge zoom on its face to confirm it's here.

Not even mentioning the Alien is dumb as a rock and at the end both die in a horrible lame way. Otherwise there was some good shit in both movies, but what killed them is definitely the stupid cliché characters. The fat dumbass with a cowboy hat named "Tennessee" I think, who is the pilot of this expedition, ready to sacrifice his full ship when the AI explicitly tells him the ship won't survive, just because... his wife is on the planet ? The religious leader ? The death of the "main character"'s husband at the beginning of the movie supposed to make us feel something for the woman ?

Covenant wasn't a total shitshow but only thanks to Fassbender imo. He had some very poetic scenes he nailed, but otherwise, that was a complete meh.

I don't see what they can plan for the third prequel. Unless something Deus Ex Machina the shit out of the frozen woman and she somehow takes back command of the ship, or they will tell you the ship crashed somewhere, dunno

I only like Prometheus and Alien Covenant for two things.

1. Universe building; more background lore is always good.
    2. Michael Fassbender; he totally prevented both of those films from being complete and utter shit (outside of universe building that is).

Now on to the news about a 5th movie centered around the main protagonist from the original series? I hope it gets written as if Alien 3 and Resurrection were never produced. I mean, I kinda like Alien 3 and Resurrection, but I would have no issue with a 5th movie completing doing a retcon of those entries if we can get a better sequel for Aliens. That's assuming it gets green lit to go in to production.

EDIT: Question to everyone disappointed with Prometheus/Covenant, do you think the movies would have worked better as films to build up the lore of the franchise instead of being failed attempts at recreating the magic/horror of the original Alien? It seems there's a lot of lore to explore added in these two movies, but they took a back seat to the failed horror plot.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2020-06-22 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Dredd was amazing the fact it didn’t get picked up for more movies is mind blowing.
    From what I understand, lack of effective marketing and the fact that the IP wasn't very widely known in the states translated into poor box office returns. Also the existence of the first film hurt it quite a bit, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    1. Universe building; more background lore is always good.
    While I see your point and actually agree in some cases, with the Alien franchise this has been a massive downside for me.
    Before we got Prometheus, the mystery of the origins of the Alien was quite cool. You had the ship with the space jockey and the egg room and we could only speculate where these came from. There was an early script for Prometheus (early or fake or whatever) where the main concept was the space jockeys inviting humans to their home world but the humans getting greedy and trying to steal some stuff which is when the space jockeys decided to unleash their ultimate weapon on the humans - the alien. That sounded pretty cool but then the movie(s) come out and the origin is basically a robot messing around with some black goo creating life, which creates other life and in the end you get the alien. For me the way they filled that hole of the lore didn't feel very satisfying at all.

5+ Year Old Account
    Ridley Scott Confirms He's Working On New Alien Movie.

https://screenrant.com/alien-5-movie...-scott-update/
    BY DAN ZINSKI 5 DAYS AGO

Ridley Scott confirms he’s still working on a new Alien movie. Released in 1979, the original Alien changed films forever with its combination of sci-fi and horror, and its featuring of the original bad-ass female heroine Ripley as played by Sigourney Weaver.

That first film would have stood alone as a classic of cinema even without spawning a franchise, but spawn a franchise it did with 1986’s Aliens, directed by James Cameron. After Cameron’s introduction of military sci-fi to the Alien mix, David Fincher took over the franchise for 1992’s ill-fated Alien 3, then in 1997 Jean-Pierre Jeunet offered up his own twisted vision with Alien Resurrection. After three movies without his direct involvement (and a pair of Alien vs. Predator spinoff films), franchise creator Scott finally and memorably returned without Weaver's Ripley for 2012’s prequel Prometheus, an attempt to expand the Alien mythology that was met with a lot of confusion by fans. After all the head-scratching that greeted Prometheus, Scott returned to more stream-lined storytelling with 2017’s Alien: Covenant, but that turned out to be a failed idea too as the movie grossed just $240 million at the worldwide box office and seemingly put the franchise into hibernation forever.

But despite the last movie bombing with audiences, it seems there’s still hope for more Alien to come. Speaking to Forbes, Scott himself confirmed that he’s working on another Alien sequel, though he seemingly remains doubtful about what approach to take with the property going forward. He said:

“That’s in process. We went down a route to try and reinvent the wheel with Prometheus and Covenant. Whether or not we go directly back to that is doubtful because Prometheus woke it up very well. But you know, you’re asking fundamental questions like, ‘Has the Alien himself, the facehugger, the chestburster, have they all run out of steam? Do you have to rethink the whole bloody thing and simply use the word to franchise?’ That’s always the fundamental question.”
    As fans well remember, Alien: Covenant did end with a seeming set-up for another sequel, as David and a hibernating Daniels headed toward Origae-6 in the Covenant with thousands of frozen colonists and embryos on board (all seemingly destined to be experimented on by David). However, after the movie’s tepid box office returns, it’s fair to wonder if this is still the direction Scott and company would wish to go, or if it might be wiser to dream up a new concept entirely. Recently of course, there has been a lot of talk about an Alien sequel thanks to a Walter Hill script that would have retconned parts of Alien 3 and Resurrection.

Scott himself of course has spoken before about trying to get away from the classic Alien formula, an approach that resulted in Prometheus, a movie that did indeed expand the series’ world while minimizing a lot of famous elements familiar from the previous films. But when that didn’t really work, Scott did a U-turn with Covenant, making a more classic Alien movie while still trying to explore some of the newer ideas introduced in Prometheus, particularly the role of the Engineers in human evolution as well as the android David and his own attempts at creating new life.

At least going by Scott’s new statements, it seems the director is still somewhat on the fence about how to proceed with the Alien franchise. The good news is, it sounds like Scott is at least pursuing some kind of project, whether it be a direct continuation of Alien: Covenant or something entirely new set in the world. Though many seem to have jumped ship on Alien, the franchise does indeed still have its devotees, and it would definitely be exciting to see Scott revisit the world one more time, armed with a genuinely interesting and cool idea.

I liked Covenant, but still peeved they dropped the plot from Prometheus in favor of new movies with Xenomorphs as the focus, like we didn't have enough of those.

I was not a fan of Alien: Covenant. I know Prometheus has its share of controversy and there are a couple dumb scenes, but I am extremely fond of that film. I wish he continued on with something closer in vibes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I liked Covenant, but still peeved they dropped the plot from Prometheus in favor of new movies with Xenomorphs as the focus, like we didn't have enough of those.
    It's only becasue everyone and their brother bitched about the plot of Prometheus and wanted more Xenomorphs. History seems to favor creators not listening to fans becasue fans only seem to make things worse.

Prometheus was meh...Covenant was actually closer to a comedy than the old space horror type of movie it used to be. I wouldn't raise your hopes on the next one being anything great...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very rare pepe View Post
    Prometheus was meh...Covenant was actually closer to a comedy than the old space horror type of movie it used to be. I wouldn't raise your hopes on the next one being anything great...
    I was completely taken out of the movie when a bunch of "experts" took off their masks on an unknown planet.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I was completely taken out of the movie when a bunch of "experts" took off their masks on an unknown planet.
    Yeah and that really awful seen where the bad android takes the captain out into the backroom full of eggs and tells him to go put his face in them. Like fuck off lmao.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alien Covenant ruined the series as far as I'm concerned. It took one of the most iconic alien creatures of all time and turned it into the experiment of a man-made android.

Would be like finding out humans secretly created the Yautja species from Predator in a lab. Oh god, I hope Ridley Scott doesn't use this forum.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Alien Covenant ruined the series as far as I'm concerned. It took one of the most iconic alien creatures of all time and turned it into the experiment of a man-made android.

Would be like finding out humans secretly created the Yautja species from Predator in a lab. Oh god, I hope Ridley Scott doesn't use this forum.
    Well to be fair, if Prometheus is anything to go by, the creatures like the Xenomorphs were engineered to be biological weapons by the Space Jockeys/Engineers to begin with.

Even if we accept David being the origins of the species, how did he get thousands of Eggs in to a Derelict ships on LV-426? Do we even know if that planet is on the way to whatever planet Covenant was headed to before it's detour? These questions need answering.

It's my long held belief that David just recreated the experiments those Engineers already had done themselves, but couldn't report back to the home world because the experiment was more efficient than they anticipated and they died before their results could be documented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Well to be fair, if Prometheus is anything to go by, the creatures like the Xenomorphs were engineered to be biological weapons by the Space Jockeys/Engineers to begin with.
    Yeah, that's been the prevailing theory of their origin for a long time due to the biomechanical design of the original creature and of course, the space jockey corpse with a huge hole in its chest. And I loved the idea of that because it is still an alien origin.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

5+ Year Old Account
    I thought first this would be some random movie, but wondered about the name, sounds like a Ridley Scott movie title based on his previous two movies Prometheus & Covenant, seems he is producing, n I wish he did for the previous two movies...will this conclude what happens with the Engineers? Apparently they are angry n want revenge on David...

Fede Álvarez's 'Alien' Project Sets Filming Start Date

https://collider.com/alien-fede-alva...ng-start-date/
    BY ERICK MASSOTO - DEC 21, 2022

It’s been a while since we last heard of the Alien project that is set to be directed and written by Evil Dead’s Fede Álvarez. Up until this point, all we knew about the upcoming — and highly expected — movie was that it was in active development, but new information suggests that the wheels are turning a lot faster than expected. According to a new entry in the Film & Television Industry Alliance website, the new Alien project is in pre-production under the working title Alien: Romulus, and it already has a location and date to start filming.

The website slates the beginning of principal photography of Alien: Romulus for February 6, 2023. This means that in the next couple of months we’re bound to see some news pop up that can provide further information about this apparent change in gears. Finally, the website also reveals that the main location – or at least the first one – for the series is going to be in Budapest, Hungary. So naturally, all geek eyes will be turned to the European city in the first week of February.

The fact that Alien: Romulus starts filming so soon also suggests that we should get some casting news as 2023 comes by, and an expected release date is bound to come up in the horizon. All we know at this point is that Cailee Spaeny (Mare of Easttown) has joined the cast, but other than that, news of the project have been scarce at best. The one thing we can say for sure is that the world-famous xenomorph will be back to terrorize humans once again, but we also don’t know at what point in the Alien franchise this project will fit.

What Does Alien's Working Title Mean For the Series?

Even though there's a huge chance that the Álvarez movie is not directly connected to the last two entries of the franchise, it's fun to notice that the working title also refers to European mythology: While Prometheus referred to a Greek titan that created humans, in Roman mythology Romulus is credited as one of the founders of Rome. Of course, this could just be a fun title to work under, but if it turns out to be the official title, we'll have a lot to speculate about the choice. At the same time, we can tell that Álvarez’s selection to write and direct the project is not random. The filmmaker earned his popularity in the horror movie scene, and the Alien franchise flirted a lot more with its horror origins in the 2017 entry Alien: Covenant. So that definitely leaves the Prometheus connection behind. Right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulus
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2023-01-13 at 10:37 PM.

After the complete disaster that was Covenant, I'm expecting nothing and may still end up being disappointed. Just let this franchise die already.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    After the complete disaster that was Covenant, I'm expecting nothing and may still end up being disappointed. Just let this franchise die already.
    I just want to see Engineers vs Aliens even if its like some shitty predator vs aliens movie..

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has found a reason to like every Alien movies (Including Aliens 3, Prometheus and Covenant - Hell 4 is a gem IMO and Weaver was robbed an Oscar lol), of course I'm looking forward to this. It doesn't have to be the 'horror' trope type of Alien movie for me to enjoy it.

I tend to ignore the 'humans being stupid cuz plots gotta plot' issue as, to me, that's pretty much present in almost every single movie and tv product. So while I absolutely agree "it makes no sense for scientists to remove their helmets and play in the alien goo", it doesn't bother me as much as it does others, as its just something I accept as a 'given' in order to enjoy almost anything on the big or little screen, at all. *shrugs*

However, I also agree that Prometheus and Covenant were NOT as good as any of the other aliens, so I'm hopeful that perhaps they can 'correct course' and stop trying to fix what isn't broken. I'm not saying I want just a straight forward "Alien Kill Humans- how do they escape!" simple-horror plot; however, neither do I want another lore-twisting/confusing "reinvention of the wheel" Alien movie. Shit Ridley - the wheel works perfect and always has, why do we have to do it a new way - really? =D

Because outside of the 'stupid humans' in Prometheus, for example, I REALLY liked the rest of it. The lore and world building. The confrontation with the Engineers and the Hubris of Humans (which is a staple of the IP) and the AI aspect. Great scifi movie stuff. It just wasn't an ALIEN movie - It didn't have ENOUGH Alien, and the Aliens that were presented were (literally) incomplete (never at full strength or full reign) and never given their proper focus, or any of it included/expanded upon in Covenant. They were utilized more as a 'side threat' that got the humans to a main plot, then the main plot themselves. (Covenant would have been so much better if David's drop of the 'bombs' turned them all into engineer-birthed-aliens rather than wiping them out - what a movie that could have been! lol)

Heck, I think Covenant would have been a better story explaining what happened in that 'time jump' between David and the ScientistLady (sorry blanked on her name lol) and everything there before the humans showed up again, since we never got an alien focused movie anyway. I was more fascinated by the implied events hinted at by David's drawings and experiments (and his descent into madness) in David's "room" in the temple that we were shown for a few minutes, then by the rest of what was going on in that movie. David's Story, and the entire plot dedicated to him - is NOT an Alien Movie.

Shit, I want the 'old' Alien sequel-plot that was rumored to bounce around for, forever, in Hollywood - that was going to FINALLY give us "Aliens on Earth" (and not in the AvP ways we got). Do THAT movie.

Just please, stop trying to present us with greek and roman mythos named Universe/Human Creation theories. We don't need these barely touched, "great philosophical questions" included to expand our Alien movies and make them appear more 'high brow' or intelligent. No. That's not what anyone wanted in their ALIEN movie.

Also - Prometheus did lose points with me for not using the right actor to play Peter Weyland. Lance Henrikson was (is) still alive. He was even "already old" and wouldn't have needed that crap makeup. You've had that actor play Weyland in previous movies (Yeah AVP but still! Same guy!) Fans already know Henrikson=Weyland. WTF GUYS! Missing easy shots here. =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I thought first this would be some random movie, but wondered about the name, sounds like a Ridley Scott movie title based on his previous two movies Prometheus & Covenant, seems he is producing, n I wish he did for the previous two movies...will this conclude what happens with the Engineers? Apparently they are angry n want revenge on David...

Fede Álvarez's 'Alien' Project Sets Filming Start Date

https://collider.com/alien-fede-alva...ng-start-date/
    BY ERICK MASSOTO - DEC 21, 2022

It’s been a while since we last heard of the Alien project that is set to be directed and written by Evil Dead’s Fede Álvarez. Up until this point, all we knew about the upcoming — and highly expected — movie was that it was in active development, but new information suggests that the wheels are turning a lot faster than expected. According to a new entry in the Film & Television Industry Alliance website, the new Alien project is in pre-production under the working title Alien: Romulus, and it already has a location and date to start filming.

The website slates the beginning of principal photography of Alien: Romulus for February 6, 2023. This means that in the next couple of months we’re bound to see some news pop up that can provide further information about this apparent change in gears. Finally, the website also reveals that the main location – or at least the first one – for the series is going to be in Budapest, Hungary. So naturally, all geek eyes will be turned to the European city in the first week of February.

The fact that Alien: Romulus starts filming so soon also suggests that we should get some casting news as 2023 comes by, and an expected release date is bound to come up in the horizon. All we know at this point is that Cailee Spaeny (Mare of Easttown) has joined the cast, but other than that, news of the project have been scarce at best. The one thing we can say for sure is that the world-famous xenomorph will be back to terrorize humans once again, but we also don’t know at what point in the Alien franchise this project will fit.

What Does Alien's Working Title Mean For the Series?

Even though there's a huge chance that the Álvarez movie is not directly connected to the last two entries of the franchise, it's fun to notice that the working title also refers to European mythology: While Prometheus referred to a Greek titan that created humans, in Roman mythology Romulus is credited as one of the founders of Rome. Of course, this could just be a fun title to work under, but if it turns out to be the official title, we'll have a lot to speculate about the choice. At the same time, we can tell that Álvarez’s selection to write and direct the project is not random. The filmmaker earned his popularity in the horror movie scene, and the Alien franchise flirted a lot more with its horror origins in the 2017 entry Alien: Covenant. So that definitely leaves the Prometheus connection behind. Right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulus
    going to suck. R scott is a great epic director. But bad at sequels. And his last 2 alien movies where really bad ( story wise). Hope he hires WAY better story writers this time.