Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    class mechanics.. mmo shouldbnt be like lol

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Well, in BfA you have stuff to do at cap besides raiding. In vanilla you had nothing to do at cap besides raiding. You could grind rep and mats to eventually raid, but vanilla was pinnacle of "raid or die"
    Like I said, greatly depends on what you like to do. For me BfA is more "raid or die" than ever simply because I don't really care about anything else that I "can" do.

On the other hand Classic will be the opposite of "raid or die" for me because I don't really have much interest in raiding in it, I'm more looking forward to just leveling, re-exploring the old zones, doing some dungeons and pvp, and all the stories that are going to happen and people I'm going to meet while doing that.

Yes, Vanilla endgame has many less options, but to counter that the game is interesting and engaging as a whole, not only at endgame and/or at high optional difficulties.

I'm happy with either. The only thing that sucks replaying vanilla is the lack of discovering new things.

I think that for most vanilla won't be a long term game though. Gonna peak at crazy numbers but I expect it to quiet down heavily in 6 months. Which is fine as long as there is enough players to keep a few servers filled with people.
    Last edited by facefist; 2019-06-05 at 03:47 PM.

If I was polled what expansion was the best, I don't really think I would have said classic. I was fine with anything pre-Dragon Soul patch. Everything after that patch was complete garbage to me. I will say, if I had to pick an expansion I had the most fun in... (and I admit this is really because I don't 100% remember classic/BC), it would be LK.

What I mean by that is I didn't remember just how far WoW has come since classic (and even probably BC, I loved the dungeons and raids in classic and BC I remember that much, but mechanics and just play-style I don't remember that much) so I was completely underwhelmed by the casting speed, the pushback of cast time, not having AoE looting, and various other QoL changes that came since then. Does it mean I won't play classic when it releases? I think I will certainly feel better about investing time into it knowing the time I re-invested (if I was to play the current beta more) wasn't completely wasted when it's wiped.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by facefist View Post
    I'm happy with either. The only thing that sucks replaying vanilla is the lack of discovering new things.

I think that for most vanilla won't be a long term game though. Gonna peak at crazy numbers but I expect it to quiet down heavily in 6 months. Which is fine as long as there is enough players to keep a few servers filled with people.
    While there won't be much "new" things to discover, I will say "rediscovering" (and by that I mean reliving things) things was a nice nostalgic feeling, and things started flooding back that I haven't thought of in 14 years. Things like Jasperlode mine, Goldtooth, Princess, etc. I suppose everyone will be different to the feeling as I think post-Dragon Soul path WoW went to the trash heap overall, but it was definitely nice remembering all those early things.

I don't want vanilla WoW or its mechanics. I just want Alterac Valley. It's pretty much literally the only reason I plan on playing classic.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I don't want vanilla WoW or its mechanics. I just want Alterac Valley. It's pretty much literally the only reason I plan on playing classic.
    OMG... I did not even consider this. Yes all of this. Literally 80 hour AV's is what I want back. I want to go to sleep and when I get up the battle is still raging.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

Public chat in the stress-test beta:
    - The Donalds
    "Omg, I cant afford buying my spells, how nice!"
    "Oh, I just got killed by a lvl2 boar. Awsome!"
    "Where is the clock? Can anyone tell me what time it is?"

- The relentless Oneupmanship Braggers
    "Yeah f'ng nub, if you had played since closed alpha like me you would have known the campfires in Dun Morogh were bugged so you couldn't cook there. Go back home retailbaby!"

- The Anal army.
    Did you seriously think they would change? Seriously?

As on retail, 80% people were nice when you /s /w to them in world.

In other words: your community experience in Classic will be exactly the same a your community experience on Retail, because it is you, not 'the game'

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    It's 100% the design philosophies. If people could get a game exactly like vanilla but with completely different content they would probably play that instead but nobody has been able to offer that since 2006, Blizzard included.
    Several games did, there were hundreds of wow clones made, they all flopped. No one makes MMOs nowadays for a reason, it's a dieing market ultimately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Concequence View Post
    OMG... I did not even consider this. Yes all of this. Literally 80 hour AV's is what I want back. I want to go to sleep and when I get up the battle is still raging.
    It's its 1.12 so your gonna be disappointed then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Classic is path 1.12, AV was changed by then and no longer took a weekend to do.

I don't think people realise what had changed by 1.12. There's some ideots who keep talking about tolling 2hand windfury and other things that were gone by 1.12 so I'm not sure people know what there even getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    From teens to 40+. Which kinda sucks because millenials have grown up on ezmode basically and like their games dumbed down to the point where you barely have to play them.
    So you think the 12-20 year olds want less ‘ezmode’ then 20-40 year olds? Hahahaha. Millenials grew up on hard games, including classic WoW (although that was easy mode at the time!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Classic isn't new! It's just bringing back the game from when it was first launched. I know players that have set up raid schedules already, along with raid schedules for 8.2. So...why would you want to grind resist gear and mats from dungeons, lvl to 60 while grinding gear and raiding in 8.2?

I have never seen another mmo re-release their game just to boost sales of a current live game. Blizz is trying to boost subs by re-releasing classic i think. T.T

Perhaps Blizz is running out of ways to attract players or keep existing ones?
    It's not even the game at release, it's 1.12. I think people keep forgetting that but it's significant.

It's means.
    No 2hand windfury
    No reckoning bombs
    No one shot warrior (wep speed was normalised by then)
    Rogue talent revamp
    Many dungeon, raid and leveling nurfs
    Cross relam bg's
    AV nurfs and time limits.
    E.t.c

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    So you think the 12-20 year olds want less ‘ezmode’ then 20-40 year olds? Hahahaha. Millenials grew up on hard games, including classic WoW (although that was easy mode at the time!!).
    He's confusing mellenial with gen z. Mellenials are in there 30s now

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    If I was polled what expansion was the best, I don't really think I would have said classic. I was fine with anything pre-Dragon Soul patch. Everything after that patch was complete garbage to me. I will say, if I had to pick an expansion I had the most fun in... (and I admit this is really because I don't 100% remember classic/BC), it would be LK.

What I mean by that is I didn't remember just how far WoW has come since classic (and even probably BC, I loved the dungeons and raids in classic and BC I remember that much, but mechanics and just play-style I don't remember that much) so I was completely underwhelmed by the casting speed, the pushback of cast time, not having AoE looting, and various other QoL changes that came since then. Does it mean I won't play classic when it releases? I think I will certainly feel better about investing time into it knowing the time I re-invested (if I was to play the current beta more) wasn't completely wasted when it's wiped.

- - - Updated - - -

While there won't be much "new" things to discover, I will say "rediscovering" (and by that I mean reliving things) things was a nice nostalgic feeling, and things started flooding back that I haven't thought of in 14 years. Things like Jasperlode mine, Goldtooth, Princess, etc. I suppose everyone will be different to the feeling as I think post-Dragon Soul path WoW went to the trash heap overall, but it was definitely nice remembering all those early things.
    Nostalgia only lasts so long, my dad bought a refurbished version of his old car during his midlife crisis, and he talked about it alot like people talk about classic, how great it was, blah blah. After 6 months he was sick of it. He loved the first few months then all the little niggles and kinks started getting to him, no power stearing, no aircon, bad mpg, no electric windows. Eventualy he sold it on to another bloak having his crisis.

Nostalgia wears off, the "classic experience" isn't what people try to make it out to be, it has heavy tedious elements that give it a shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    And then they discover it wasn't as hard as they thought or remembered

- Heal a dungeon without ever drinking or going oom
    - just chainpull everything and never have to cc
    - Shaman tank dungeons
    - Void Walker tank dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    You could still 2-handed WF. It just couldn't proc off other procs so you didn't get any 3 shot combos. Yes there was the AV Nerfs, but those actually came before 1.12 which made really long AV's near impossible, but they could still last a few hours.

Below is from patch 1.11.
    You could do it, but it's like saying you could still run around with arcanite reaper on a war after the nurf. It was just pointless to do by 1.12 they added an internal cool down that made doing it both boring but also Completly unviable.

Though if we're being honest pvp at that point was just an endless cycle of getting utterly shat on by rouges and warlocks
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2019-06-05 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Nostalgia only lasts so long, my dad bought a refurbished version of his old car during his midlife crisis, and he talked about it alot like people talk about classic, how great it was, blah blah. After 6 months he was sick of it. He loved the first few months then all the little niggles and kinks started getting to him, no power stearing, no aircon, bad mpg, no electric windows. Eventualy he sold it on to another bloak having his crisis.

Nostalgia wears off, the "classic experience" isn't what people try to make it out to be, it has heavy tedious elements that give it a shelf life.
    Oh, I actually agree with this. It was apparent for me when I quit the beta at level 8. Now, don't get me wrong perhaps the bigger issue was questioning why bother investing precious time into it knowing it was going to get wiped at release, but still. There was just too many QoL changes after classic that is going to be tedious to get over.

7+ Year Old Account
    I want to play Pokemon Gold, not its mechanics.
    I want to play Ocarina of Time, not its mechanics
    I want to Play Metal Gear Solid, not its mechanics

Why is it so hard for people to understand that we like playing games that we grew up with????????

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    You're spouting the same rhetoric that they do.

This entire point falls flat because Classic is being made for people who have already played vanilla and know what it's like.

Yet another talking point thrown around by people doomsaying that Classic is going to """"fail"""".
    I’m not so sure about this. As another said in this thread, I would say that at least half the people that play Classic either never played it, or started late and wasn’t able to participate or complete some end game content. I would garner that it’ll be more people of the 2nd group honestly. Many more if we truly knew after launch.

I have no idea how that’ll affect numbers months after launch. It can be argued either way honestly. Those that played will stay because they know what to expect. Those that didn’t play will stay because they want to see everything. With LFR now and the inclusion we have with retail endgame content, as opposed to the very limited number of people that actually raided true end game Vanilla, I can be argued that the number of people that raid in Classic could be very high.

Guess we’ll see how many people are truly interested in doing everything required to raid in Classic. Truth is nobody really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Drpizka View Post
    I want to play Pokemon Gold, not its mechanics.
    I want to play Ocarina of Time, not its mechanics
    I want to Play Metal Gear Solid, not its mechanics

Why is it so hard for people to understand that we like playing games that we grew up with????????
    Because those who want to play it for the mechanics and grew up with the games are also legitimate players?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Because those who want to play it for the mechanics and grew up with the games are also legitimate players?

OP says "...or just the mechanics"

This implies that I would love retail the same as vanilla if it had the vanilla mechanics, which for me is false because I don't like vanilla just for its mechanics.

vanilla was "balanced" and fun. Not the thempark we have nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Drpizka View Post
    OP says "...or just the mechanics"

This implies that I would love retail the same as vanilla if it had the vanilla mechanics, which for me is false because I don't like vanilla just for its mechanics.
    I totally understand. It's just your last sentence seemed to imply that no one understands why you like the content when I see it as not being something that is mutually exclusive, even if the original statement posed by the OP was an 'or' statement.

I'm just kind of thrown off by why you think no one understands when, IMO, it's just a matter of many people having different opinions about the same games.

I mean does it mean that if it's not Vanilla and they added more content, you would not like it because it's not what you remembered it to be? I love a Link to the Past, but it's not like I would look at A Link Between Worlds or the Link to the Past DX dungeons as something that was bad because it was not true-to-original. I don't see it being mutually exclusive. IMO, we play those old games for the mechanics just as much as for nostalgia.