Poll: Pick your preferred Battleground

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warsong Gulch vs Arathi Basin vs Alterac Valley

With Classic being limited to 3 battlegrounds if you're interested in PVP and especially getting to rank 14 you will visit these battleground a LOT.

So which one will be your personal favorite pick?

1. Warsong Gulch (10vs10)
    The basic capture the flag game mode has no time limit in classic. Therefore matches can go on for quite a while if you encounter a strong team on the other side. Other than that there is not much else to say. People know the map and mode from the current version of WoW. There haven't been that many changes in there.

2. Arathi Basin (15v15)
    Domination is the name of the game here. Hold up to 5 points on the map the gather 2000 resources before the enemy faction. This map is always on a timer because the resources will go up. The basic principle of this map should be known as this is well is mostly unchanged on live servers.

3. Alterac Valley (40v40)
    This is a tricky one because we won't actually get the first version of AV. This BG had a major re-work in Vanilla already because it was pretty much dead after the release of the honor system. I remember that on my first server in version 1 of AV we actually had to schedule a session of AV because no one from the smaller faction on the server would usually sign up for it. Anyway the change of AV removed a lot of NPCs on the map and allowed for much quicker matches which in fact created the basic tactic of just ignoring the enemy players and just try to get a quick kill of the boss at the end. Sometimes big battles still happened if one faction went for a proper defense but it was rare.

The question is what will be your preferred bg?
    Btw. option 4 refers to open WORLD PVP
    Last edited by nodlimax; 2019-05-31 at 06:45 PM.

I loved AV, but when rep is cap i rather do something else

10+ Year Old Account
    AB is best, AV is good for event weekends, WSG is just a GY farmfest post-BWL unless its premade v premade.

Open World PvP is the most fun if the server is active.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by nodlimax View Post
    With Classic being limited to 3 battlegrounds if you're interested in PVP and especially getting to rank 14 you will visit these battleground a LOT.

The basic capture the flag game mode has no time limit in classic. Therefore matches can go on for quite a while if you encounter a strong team on the other side. Other than that there is not much else to say. People know the map and mode from the current version of WoW. There haven't been that many changes in there.

2. Arathi Basin (15v15)
    Domination is the name of the game here. Hold up to 5 points on the map the gather 2000 resources before the enemy faction. This map is always on a timer because the resources will go up. The basic principle of this map should be known as this is well is mostly unchanged on live servers.

This is a tricky one because we won't actually get the first version of AV. This BG had a major re-work in Vanilla already because it was pretty much dead after the release of the honor system. I remember that on my first server in version 1 of AV we actually had to schedule a session of AV because no one from the smaller faction on the server would usually sign up for it. Anyway the change of AV removed a lot of NPCs on the map and allowed for much quicker matches which in fact created the basic tactic of just ignoring the enemy players and just try to get a quick kill of the boss at the end. Sometimes big battles still happened if one faction went for a proper defense but it was rare.

It is a mix. AB if I had a couple of friends playing, especially a Pali to go with my lock. We could win lumbermill most times with little help. WSG if I was doing premades and it was the one BG that gear could be beaten overcome by superior strategy(we played strip WSG one night). If I was farming honor and had a large group nothing beat Alliance Zerg AV. Those 10 minute wins were on point.

"Open PvP" isn't a BG. Sure the world becomes the battleground. But BG is a reserved term for instanced PvP. I'd take open world PvP any day on an active server. But for this poll, Arathi Basin takes it. I love AV and WSG. But Arathi Basin is just perfect for me.

Arathi all day everyday every week.

Quote Originally Posted by SpellCleave View Post
    "Open PvP" isn't a BG. Sure the world becomes the battleground. But BG is a reserved term for instanced PvP. I'd take open world PvP any day on an active server. But for this poll, Arathi Basin takes it. I love AV and WSG. But Arathi Basin is just perfect for me.
    I mentioned that it was intended as open world PVP and I know it isn't considered a battleground. I just wanted to give people an option that dislike bgs in general.

AV will just be a zerg in 1.12 version. Ironically WSG is the one that'll last hours without a timer. But unlike the map of old AV (which we aren't getting anyway) full of npcs and objecives, it's just painful. So that leaves AB.

Having played those for some 10+ years im pretty sick of most bg's. But i did enjoy AB the most when i played.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Alterac Valley before it got gutted (ie, before it became a lame zergfest that you could complete without ever encountering an enemy player).

AB and WSG just felt to me like skirmishes for strips of land. AV felt like a proper battle where both sides were going back and forth for hours just to gain inches of ground.

AV without a doubt and then AB. I loath WSG.

10+ Year Old Account
    AB has always been my favorite BG. AV is good in doses. WSG usually turns into a gy farm unless it's premades v premades.

Does anyone actually enjoy regular WSG? The whole concept is so utterly boring, not being able to capture the enemy flag unless you also hold yours.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can stomach AV the most, but generally hate any form of PVP, playing only for PvE. The main problem for me trying to transition away from wow back in the day was most MMOs coming out having an even more focus/need on PVP, whereas in WoW including classic, you can more or less never PVP and be a raiderboy.

I guess the only thing I'll do is zone into AV at level 51 and kill harpies/rams for exp, while gaining exalted before level 60, never to set foot there again.

10+ Year Old Account
    WSG, best bg for solo utility as rogue (control, mainly, along with fun engineering things). If I have time I would like to park a 19 and 29 for wsg and ab. I have followed a bit of perplexity's beta streaming but it is hard to find gems vs. noise as far as what tricks he can do actually in beta that work in ps (grenade//bomb throwing in particular)

Best I could figure, total wsg gy rez cycle was around 31.5 seconds. I have read bgcommander or something similar used to have that timer (addon) - but I would like to get such an addon now. timing a kill of key enemy to give a 28 second rez vs 2 is of significant tactical value.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2019-06-02 at 05:21 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

WSG can result in some really epic situations.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

AV cause it was always on a large-scale. So many things going on, and a lot of fun. Some classes might be better for AV than others though. Like in a standoff of 40vs.40, I wouldn't want to go charging into a group of enemy players as a warrior. It's like asking for death. As a ranged class you at least have more survivability in such scenarios because you can do damage from long range, pick off / snipe enemy players from range. I don't know; I like everything on a large-scale and BIG, and that's why I didn't like either that 40-man raids were ever removed from the game. 10-man raids never felt that grandiose. Any MMO that can provide PvE and PvP on a large-scale with having some structure (i.e. not being a zergfest) will always have my attention, and no BG exemplifies this more than Alterac Valley.

The version we are getting in WoW classic:

Alterac Valley is the bastardized version that is no fun at all and crappy. I'd avoid that completely.

WSG is a really crappy version where it can go on forever with no timer.

Arathi Basin is really the only choice here, as it has a timer and provides some good gameplay.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    AV is my bae, loved it so much back in vanilla and I will hang out there as much as I can on classic

Quote Originally Posted by nodlimax View Post

2. Arathi Basin (15v15)

if you want to get to rank 14 warsong gulch was always the best.

but for me, i will play alterac valley, it and wintergrasp were always just such a fucking blast to me, these massive epic battles, but really alterac valley was much more for me.