Poll: How many hybrids would you raid with if you wanted to clear Naxx in a month or two?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

How many hybrids would you raid with if you wanted to clear Naxx in a month or two?

Hypothetical Scenario: You're thinking about joining a 15 hour / week raid group with the goal of clearing Naxxramas a month or two after P6 drops. You look at the roster and say, "Nope, that's too many hybrids." How many did you see?

(We'll just say everyone has perfect attendance, so raid size = 40. We'll also assume that everyone is friendly and equally skilled, however, optimal specs might get poached more but too many sub-optimal specs might hurt future recruitment.)

Edit: I noticed the counts were wrong right as I hit post, and polls can't be edited. It should be:
    0-2
    3-4
    5-6
    7-8
    9-10
    11-12
    13-14
    15-20
    21-25
    26+

Off-specs also count as hybrids, for example Arcane mages, Survival Hunters, Arms Warriors, anyone that isn't one of these 9 specs:

Prot Warrior
    Fury Warrior
    Holy Pally
    Resto Shaman
    Marksman (?) Hunter
    Combat Swords (or daggers?) Rogue
    Resto Druid
    0/30/21 or whatever the optimal Warlock spec is
    Fire Mage
    Holy Priest

Based on what I've read I think I'd go with 5 or 6. I could handle a ret paladin, a feral druid, a boomkin, two shadow or disc priests, and maybe the RL's girlfriend that just has to play Arms warrior. But more than 6 I'd probably start looking at server transfers...
    Last edited by garicasha; 2019-06-01 at 05:49 PM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

0. If you're not willing to play an optimal spec you're not suitable for high end raiding.

It's classic. Everything is at LFR levels of difficulty. Bring whatever.
    Then again, why would you play a poorly balanced spec that can't even compete on the meters?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    0. If you're not willing to play an optimal spec you're not suitable for high end raiding.
    There is no "high end raiding" in classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    It's classic. Everything is at LFR levels of difficulty. Bring whatever.
    Then again, why would you play a poorly balanced spec that can't even compete on the meters?

- - - Updated - - -

Week 1 molten core or naxx clears arnt going to be easy. 20 manning raids isn't going to be easy. Difficulty is one thing, efficiency another. If you can do twice the dps you can drop one dps and thus get twice the loot.
    Last edited by willemh; 2019-06-01 at 07:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    0 preferably, but having 1 or 2 might be ok

Naxx says hi. (overtuned shitty mechanics still require high end raiding)

Up until C'thun everyone can do whatever they want, but at that point you hit gear/spec checks

Quote Originally Posted by Dralech View Post
    0 preferably, but having 1 or 2 might be ok
    That seems a bit hardcore for a guild that is ok with it taking a month or two to finish. Especially since I'm counting shadow priests as a hybrid, having one isn't that bad.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Week 1 molten core or naxx clears arnt going to be easy. 20 manning raids isn't going to be easy. Difficulty is one thing, efficiency another. If you can do twice the dps you can drop one dps and thus get twice the loot.
    Oh, 20 man MC is not a problem and it never was. 40 players playing poor specs but actualy not standing in fire is enough to just roll over ever boss in there.

You still need some hybrids for buffs, so as few as necessary for full buff coverage with the rest playing classes that can actually do their role well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Naxx says hi. (overtuned shitty mechanics still require high end raiding)

Up until C'thun everyone can do whatever they want, but at that point you hit gear/spec checks
    Actually, not a single boss in Naxx can compare to even the simplest bosses in the last 4-5 expansions when it comes to difficulty. That is the first raid in vanilla that actually requiers all 40 players to not be afk though but thats about the only requirement. That and your tanks having enough HP, sure.

So yeah, Naxx might have been way harder than any other raid in classic but that says more about the other raids than it does about Naxx.

There is litteraly nothing that requiers you to be great or play the best spec in order to kill it in a timely manner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    You still need some hybrids for buffs, so as few as necessary for full buff coverage with the rest playing classes that can actually do damage.
    No, you do not.

No, you do not.
    You're doing your raid a disservice if you're not providing your warrior/rogues with windfury.

You're doing your raid a disservice if you're not providing your warrior/rogues with windfury.
    Sure but on the other hand, you don't really need it.

Sure but on the other hand, you don't really need it.
    What's the point? I'm talking about optimal raid composition. You "don't really need" to do much of anything in vanilla raids. Doesn't mean people wouldn't rather be optimal than purposely be less effective because fred wants to be a boomkin.

What's the point? I'm talking about optimal raid composition. You "don't really need" to do much of anything in vanilla raids. Doesn't mean people wouldn't rather be optimal than purposely be less effective because fred wants to be a boomkin.
    That is true. I'm with you there.

Naxx can't be cleared in a month. You need months of gearing up in MC/BWL and AQ first.

Actually, not a single boss in Naxx can compare to even the simplest bosses in the last 4-5 expansions when it comes to difficulty. That is the first raid in vanilla that actually requiers all 40 players to not be afk though but thats about the only requirement. That and your tanks having enough HP, sure.

So yeah, Naxx might have been way harder than any other raid in classic but that says more about the other raids than it does about Naxx.

There is litteraly nothing that requiers you to be great or play the best spec in order to kill it in a timely manner.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you do not.
    That's absurd. Organizing and executing Four Horsemen or Gothik the Harvester is harder than Kar'gath Bladefist and Champion of the Light. No need for hyperbole. Classic raids aren't hard compared to mythic raids now but you're overstating your case.

And in three of the difficulties out of four on retail the fights have a bunch of mechanics but most of them do nothing.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2019-06-01 at 08:33 AM.

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow priest is mandatory
    Feral/boomy why not for lulz
    Rest no go cos they are pointless
    From all things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Bullshit. Specs and classes weren't viable for people trying to do world firsts etc only.

Classic just isn't that hard man. That attitude is more suited to mythic progression on retail.