Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you consider the community feature a success?

So recently i noticed that none that i know of uses it, so was it a waste of time and resources or do you think it was worth making?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rainhard View Post
    So recently i noticed that none that i know of uses it, so was it a waste of time and resources or do you think it was worth making?
    Finding it a great tool. Already a member in 5 different ones for different topics from crafting, roleplay, raiding, PvP and Achievements.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rainhard View Post
    It's a decent enough tool. I imagine it will see more use once Classic launches, since b.net integration means you can use the social window in the b.net launcher to keep up with communities. This would let people guild with friends and family but keep a static raid group, or vice-versa, with little trouble.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I've had good use of it, so yes, I'd consider it a success.
    I bet the people not feeling the same are also the people to sit around and complain that "there's no community"... LOL!

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea how it works.

I thought that it would have some sort of window to check which communities exist, perhaps with filters to search by topic or something.

7+ Year Old Account
    Find them to be a great tool for finding raids/groups. I'm in three large communities and then a few small ones. Success for sure.

Only really works if you join large collectives. Personally I'm only part of stay-in-touch ones and they are all dead since everyone I know is currently mostly done with the game, unless they organize something IRL (like a weekly m+ day). For raiding I run into the problem that we are still shackled by factions and server boundaries for mid-tier mythic raiding, so it's still the old "let's find yourself a new guild" game I've been playing for 14+ years.

It does what it's supposed to do, I never expected it to do miracles like some other people in the first place. So I'd say it's successfull, just that this doesn't really mean much tbh.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-06-01 at 02:39 PM.

As long as Discord is superior, I'm not going to use it.

I think the tool itself is great but my issue has been finding them as the only way right now seems to be people sharing links in trade and similar.

If they added some sort of community finder where you could browse communities and apply to them, maybe write a short message then that would be neat. Kinda like the old guildfinder but updated.

what community feature?

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat successful but Blizzard has done little to promote its use other than toss it out there. I'm in four different communities and it has been helpful.

It would also be nice if you could search for communities in-game. You can't but there is a forum location for it:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...es-recruitment

EDIT: For the record, I don't think that any of Blizzard's efforts to provide tools for social interaction in game, half-assed or otherwise, will be a waste of time and resources. By itself, the idea of having communities and being able to belong to more than one is a very good idea. Blizzard needs to push them more for players that come back, etc. and provide some sort of interface in-game for them.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-06-01 at 03:50 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I used the pvp ones a bit, there are some good high end pvp communities. Finding premade bgs/rbgs/arena partners became much easier.
    Working on my next ban.

Outside of originally setting it up as a joke with the guild I have NEVER used it. It is a bad version of discord and it doesn't have any features that make it superior to existing communication in game and outside of the game.

Huge waste of resources especially since it was the cause of many of the launch and post launch issues... To me it is the twitter integration of this xpac. Since this is WoD 2.0 w/ recycled M+ it fits.

My problem is that most of the people don't even know what "Communities" are on my German realm.

I think the major problem is, that

1. people don't have any plan to find existing Communities (me neither, because there is not a browser or something equal)
    2. people are not enganged enough to create their own Community
    3. people don't even now how to open the chat-window when I ask them to accept the invite
    4. people don't know when new messages are incoming (they just wonder what that orange sign on the bottom status bar is)
    5. people don't know how to make chat more accesible through connecting the Communities chat to the main chat window

People just don't get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It made me stop talking in guild chat, so I guess not.

Its not a bad system functionally but discord is just a better option. It just doesn't serve that big of purpose for me because its in game. I got the guild where most the groups are generated for higher end content. I got the finder tools that let me just find a pug. I got the friends list if I find people I like to pug with that aren't in the guild / on the server / so on. I just don't spend a ton of time chit chatting in game for it to matter and I don't need people for the bulk of things in the game that I don't do with mostly guild members.

Tbh there was recently a video about this subject:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWeaWU5q-I

And I must say I agree with the author. Blizzard didn't bother to even put a proper search function in game for communities, you have to get "invitation link" from forums or friend instead of being able to find how many communities around do the type of content you'd be interested in. There were one bajillion improvements for puggers (cross realm nearly everything, pug finder, etc.) but somehow Blizzard forgot that MMOs in its core were meant to be played with friends (or similar semi-stable group of people) for the best possible experience, instead they went into full "play with strangers" mode. Pug improvements are great, but even greater would be to improve social tools like guild finder and communities along the way.

Afaik the author of the vid lurks around the forums and I must say it's interesting to see there are people like him who still run successful casual guilds, but indeed wish Blizzard would care to put better tools in game to help socializing.

Usually we're left to believe guilds are "obsolete" outside of mythic raiding or similarly top end content. Apparently it's not true, there are still people who want to play casually but in a group of long term friends or acquaintances, not only dive into the pug world. However recruiting for them didn't improve across the years, except spamming trade and friends inviting friends there isn't an easy way to reach out and find new blood.

Communities were meant to fill a niche of being able to belong to more than 1 and exist cross-realm, but they're even harder to develop since guilds have at least wowprogress and similar tools to reach out to people.
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2019-06-01 at 06:17 PM.

No, the tool doesn't let you search for communities (this is a basic feature, and to be frank, Blizzard half-assed this product [which, given their recent history, isn't surprising]).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    No, the tool doesn't let you search for communities (this is a basic feature, and to be frank, Blizzard half-assed this product [which, given their recent history, isn't surprising]).
    Yeah, and it would be great if all of those who are constantly complaining about how WoW is no longer social raised holy hell about it. They haven't and continue to spout the same useless talking points about removing LFR/LFG which isn't going to happen when they could be complaining about how fucking difficult it is to use communities which would give them the structure and tools to build their "realm" of 100 or so friends. It would certainly be more useful than a return to spamming chat channels trying to create groups. Fucking Blizzard--who very much half-assed this feature--and their braindead ideas about making it as difficult as possible for players to be in touch with one another and have some control on how that works.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Beats nothing..
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.