Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Jay-Z becomes first billionaire rapper

Superstar Jay-Z is the first billionaire rapper, says Forbes
    By Doug Criss, CNN

Updated at 1:39 PM ET, Mon June 3, 2019

(CNN) — Jay-Z once rapped "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man." Turns out he was right.

The superstar rapper is also a fashion trendsetter, a streaming music mogul, a sports management company owner and Mr. Beyonce Knowles.

All that has helped him to become the first billionaire rapper, according to Forbes.

"Less than a decade later, it's clear that Jay-Z has accumulated a fortune that conservatively totals $1 billion, making him one of only a handful of entertainers to become a billionaire—and the first hip-hop artist to do so," Forbes' Zack O'Malley Greenburg writes.

The media company ticked through the various businesses that Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, either owns or has a stake in, including:

a $70 million stake in Uber

his ownership of the streaming service Tidal

his $70 million art collection

his ownership of the Roc Nation sports management company

$50 million in assorted real estate holdings and his music catalog.

And being married to uber-superstar Beyonce, worth an estimated $355 million herself, doesn't hurt.

Jay-Z, who grew up in a Brooklyn housing project, rose to fame in 1996 with his debut album "Reasonable Doubt." His sixth album, 2001's "The Blueprint," was added to the Library of Congress' National Recording Registry -- reserved for albums that are "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" -- earlier this year.

He's also been more involved in political advocacy, campaigning for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and launching a prison reform organization with fellow rapper Meek Mill this year.

Back in 2014, music mogul Dr. Dre claimed he was hip-hop's first billionaire after he sold Beats Music, the high-end headphones and streaming music service, to Apple. But it's estimated that while that blockbuster deal pushed Dre's net worth to about $1.1 billion, state and local taxes ultimately nudged it to just below the $1 billion-dollar mark.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/03/enter...rnd/index.html

Thought Dr Dre was first but didn't quite hit the mark due to some technicalities. Not too many musicians rich the billionaire status so it's a huge feat regardless of genre.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m going to have to say him being married to Beyonce had a lot to do with this. Although I congratulate his success I really hope he’s doing something with that wealth. Otherwise my view of him is the same as any who simply just has it for no real purpose.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I’m going to have to say him being married to Beyonce had a lot to do with this. Although I congratulate his success I really hope he’s doing something with that wealth. Otherwise my view of him is the same as any who simply just has it for no real purpose.
    One of my guilty pleasures is going to Floyd Mayweather's instagram and seeing what he's wasting his money on

I'm a terrible person for that
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-06-04 at 04:05 AM.

So they're adding his spouse's fortune?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

This thread title isn't accurate. He hasn't "Rapped" in a very long time. He hasn't released anything of his own. He didn't get to a "billion" by rapping, he got there through investments,over priced clothing lines and much more.
    That's like saying someone who worked at a paper route as a teenager and then became a billionaire at 50 is the world first paper route billionaire

Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    This thread title isn't accurate. He hasn't "Rapped" in a very long time. He hasn't released anything of his own. He didn't get to a "billion" by rapping, he got there through investments,over priced clothing lines and much more.
    That's like saying someone who worked at a paper route as a teenager and then became a billionaire at 50 is the world first paper route billionaire
    Good point. They need to add the clause "first self made billionaire who started their career by rapping..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    One of my guilty pleasures is going to Floyd Mayweather's instagram and seeing what he's wasting his money on

I'm a terrible person for that
    So based on what you have seen, boxing will he becoming back out of retirement sooner, or much much later?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    According to the article...Beyonce is worth about 1/3 of what he is.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jay-Z hasn't rapped in a long time? He still does shows. He did a solo album in 2017 and an album with his wife in 2018. Even if he was just doing features that is still considered rapping.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Jay-Z hasn't rapped in a long time? He still does shows. He did a solo album in 2017 and an album with his wife in 2018. Even if he was just doing features that is still considered rapping.
    Just discussion points, he has used other methods to accumulate wealth which is what he's trying to point out. Rapping hasn't lead to a billion dollars, just good investments and business decisions by Jay-z which should be celebrated, and mimicked if conditions are right. Both right in a way...

The dude is still rapping?

He signed a 10-year contract.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ion/101570388/

He just had a tour last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Run_II_Tour

The money he earned as a rapper is what led him to be able to create his investment portfolio. By your logic, Michael Jordan shouldn’t be considered the first athlete billionaire because he only earned about $90 million of his $1.70 billion by playing basketball.

You’re gonna have to clarify what in the world you were thinking when you made this statement. Your overall point about most of his money coming from other sources is accurate, but to suggest he’s anything but one of the biggest current rappers, as in the music he makes currently, is a level of ignorance that can’t go unchecked. I assume you just don’t listen to hip-hip, but just so you know, so you don’t make a statement like this again, his last album, 4:44, was widely considered an instant classic, and it only came out a couple years ago.

We should have a parade or something.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Stop making this duded clarify, I already explained what he was trying to say. ***Jay-Z made his money mostly with business deals. This had left him in the right side of profit...not hip-hop gimmicks*** Overall talented dude and hooked me long ago with those rap/rock mash-ups (LP and Jay-Z....). Overall... he's a well proclaimed billionaire...

10+ Year Old Account
    he went far more than just rapping
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Love him and Love Beyoncé. Put some respect on their names.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Probably correct.

Even U2(the other musician billionaires that I know of) have their fingers in a lot of pies.

I think the highest payed musician who musicians is Dave Mathews lol.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Hmm.. so they include the worth of his wife - 355M$ - for what reasons?
    In other words, he's not at 1B, he's at ~650M$ w/o his wife.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    Hmm.. so they include the worth of his wife - 355M$ - for what reasons?
    In other words, he's not at 1B, he's at ~650M$ w/o his wife.
    Actually, they don't. From the Forbes article:

Real estate
    $50 million

Art collection
    $70 million

Music catalog
    $75 million

Roc Nation
    $75 million

Tidal
    $100 million

D’Ussé