LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post

These two are true masterpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    They just don't make them like they used to
    Sigh :c

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Also loved the Old Robin Hood with the animals from like the 70's was great as well.
    Oh yeah, especially from a Disney cartoon, it was incredibly dark. The music is great and memorable too.... and I still have uncomfortable feelings about foxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pinocchio was my first favorite Disney film.

Aladdin is the first movie I took my first date.

After that I pretty much outgrown Disney. I like Ducktales and Disney afternoon and The Mickey Mouse Club. But that was it overall.

Lion King was the last Disney anything I really liked. I think.

Oh yeah I’ve seen Dumbo not my favorite but Dumbo and Mom scene will make me cry like a bitch. Poor Dumbo and his mom. She was a good mom
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

disney has really great movies and cartoons )

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Oh yeah, especially from a Disney cartoon, it was incredibly dark. The music is great and memorable too.... and I still have uncomfortable feelings about foxes.
    Quite a few of those Disney movies from those older decades I still quote occasionally, just because they're that memorable (and I love the voice cast, as they were reused quite often). Also, the messaging/mentality put into Disney movies is quite a bit different than a lot of the more recently incarnations, as recently Disney has become way more "safe" and politically trendy with some of the content than before. I suppose there can be some edgy scenes in recent Disney movies, but sometimes they feel like they're forced instead of just making a movie and letting it speak for itself.

As a general criticism, I do prefer when a movie is made for adults instead of for kids with the focus on making it a great film. I'm sure people can reminisce about films they saw as a child and loved, and once they become adults and rewatch the films they either have a new appreciation for the film because it's good as an adult... or you respond with "Wow, that was trash with a bunch of flashy things that only a child would like." Disney does a pretty good job at this, but I still feel like they add way too much obvious exposition or cater way too much for trying to get a kid to understand something that will likely still go over their heads or they won't care about for another decade. As a small example, the end of Frozen: Disney could've done well enough to have the frozen heart resolution occur with no exposition, but they just had to have Olaf provide exposition. It's minor, but those kinds of scenes add up and detract from a movie. It's a pitfall that always reminds me of the character Fouad in Family Guy who is constantly making exposition about jokes or comments/expressions to explaining them in detail... except in Family Guy it's a comedic device, in a Disney film it's catering to children who likely don't care.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2019-06-11 at 07:25 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

15+ Year Old Account
    An American tale, all dogs go to heaven, lady and the tramp, 101 dalmations, all the toy stories, aladin, lion king.....those are just some of the animated movies

Starship Troopers!

Who doesn't love a comically gory film under Disney's Touchstone Studios?

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    An American tale, all dogs go to heaven, lady and the tramp, 101 dalmations, all the toy stories, aladin, lion king.....those are just some of the animated movies
    Just to nit pick, but An American Tail and All Dogs go to Heaven are Don Bluth studio films, not Disney.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-06-14 at 03:19 AM.

My favorites were always Treasure Planet, Atlantis, and The Black Cauldron. The world building and sci-fi element of the first two was amazing.

The Black Cauldron.

And the movie Disney is too chicken shit to re-release.

Song of the South
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I support the other side.

I believe the Little Mermaid has the potential to be a visually stunning "live-action" movie.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    And the movie Disney is too chicken shit to re-release.

Song of the South
    Can you imagine the shit storm if they released it in current year?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Starship Troopers!

Who doesn't love a comically gory film under Disney's Touchstone Studios?

Just to nit pick, but An American Tail and All Dogs go to Heaven are Don Bluth studio films, not Disney.
    really? thanks for the heads up, i always thought they were disney....ive never heard of dont bluth

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    really? thanks for the heads up, i always thought they were disney....ive never heard of dont bluth
    You can easily recognize Don Bluth from the art and animation style of character faces, which have a lot of focus on the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Robin hood was dark?!? What kind of sheltered ass childhood did you have? Robin Hood is a freaking technicolor unicorn farting iridescent rainbows compared to proper "dark" things like the Black Cauldron, the Secret of Nimh, or The Dark Crystal (not an animated movie, but still aimed at "kids")

Aladdin is my all time favourite.

Most disney movie tends to turn out good.

I don't get the dislike for Frozen tbh apart from the fact that anything that does amazingly well seems to have a group of people hating on it - personally I loved the message from Ana's storyling about not falling in love with the first man that comes along (aka most Disney plots).

Lilo and Stitch / Aladdin are both amazing. But the criminally underrated Emperor's New Groove is still my favourite. Yzma gives me life.

You guys got me wondering if I should watch Frozen now. (Saw the video of "Let it Go" and was mesmerized. Idina Menzel has always been an incredible talent)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Frozen, you need to see for yourself. After Tangled, which I liked, I found Frozen unbearable. Then again, families (and especially girls) seem to love it. Let's say I trashed my copy of the film after watching it. But I am sure Frozen Fever will also be a massive hit, so what do I know.

I grew up on Jungle Book - first film I ever saw in a cinema as a kid. Robin Hood I liked even more. So those win by Nostalgia default

Aside from Disney, Pixar (yeah, they are kinda merged these days) made the films that blew me away in the last years...be it Toy Story, Wall-E or Up. But my favourite animated films are non-Disney: The Iron Giant, Akira and Spirited Away. Honourable mention to The secret of NIMH).

- - - Updated - - -

Ex-Disney animator. He also made the Dragon's Lair video game and IMHO his best film is "Secret of NIMH"
    oh wow i forgot about secret of nimh, i loved that movie too

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You guys got me wondering if I should watch Frozen now. (Saw the video of "Let it Go" and was mesmerized. Idina Menzel has always been an incredible talent)
    Why not? It's a cute movie. I was surprised I didn't hate the snowman.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Frozen, you need to see for yourself.
    I did. I thought it was a decent movie whose hype was way overblown. But then again, I thought the same thing about The Dark Knight, too...