10+ Year Old Account
    Y'all need an owner who takes billions out of the club. Feels dirty backing Chelsea to stop the quad, now I find myself backing PSG as well.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2021-04-17 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
    Fair play for you to saying it.
    You can't moan about sugar daddy's when you would love one yourself. That's called jealousy.

We all want what's best for our club and if that means an Arab Prince comes in and puts his pocket money into world class players, then so be it.

Also, without it, you would never see such things like Man City's 2012 PL win. Probably the most incredible moment in Premier League football. Miracles can still happen (see Leicester).

Money is only half the equation. Need to build a compatible squad too.

edit: What I meant by reguarly, is we were in the CL before Roman came in. The nerve clattering final game of the season against Pool basically convinced Roman to buy into us. Dennis Wise against Milan. Tie against Madrid and Barca. We had a European history. We had European titles. We weren't plucked from the lower leagues.

- - - Updated - - -

The original oil boys coming up trumps. Love to see it.
    It's naive to think that Roman Abramovich bought Chelsea because of a 'nerve-clattering match'. Reality is that a) Chelsea were extremely cheap to buy at the time, given they were on the verge of administration b) they are in a prestigious part of London c) other clubs in the Champions' League were not for sale. They were the logical purchase. Has he become a fan since? Sure. He's invested billions into the club. He'd be an absolute weirdo if he didn't love something that is now essentially his baby. Had Abramovich bought Chelsea, the two odd UEFA Cups would have likely been all the European titles that the club would be able to talk about. The UEFA Cup isn't really the pinnacle of European competition anyway. It's 2nd best.

Roman also had to spend the money he got from hijacking trains and having his competition killed somewhere.

Yea roman is literally a war profiteer. Don't see how that is any better than oil money but I don't really care. If Jeff bezo's or Warren buffet wanna buy man utd go for it

10+ Year Old Account
    If Jeff Bezos bought United I would shamelessly be punching the air in celebration.

Mostly because it means the Glaziers would be out of the picture, and no longer killing the club.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Roman also had to spend the money he got from hijacking trains and having his competition killed somewhere.
    Probably deserved it.
    Daddy Roman is never wrong.

I watch Football to enjoy the 90 minutes and the over arching drama of the season. I have little to zero interest in the whispering and questionable ethics of the owners. I'll leave that to good people like you to hit me over the head with.

Having said that, I am proud of his efforts in attempting to banish our chequered history on racism and hooliganism. Club on the whole is doing well on that front. His response to the pandemic was also greatly received.

when are all the clubs joining the capitalist league, we get to watch bayern smash arsenal 5-1 every year forever.

The talks about the super league getting more and more serious, but still can't see it happening, I guess it's a way for the teams to make UEFA giving what they want, which I don't know what it is tbf but it was something about the CL I think.

The Bundesliga teams, Bayern and Dortmund, have apparently declined the invitation to this league, which is great. Here we can see the use of the 50+1 rule and how important it is for the members of the club to own the majority of the shares. PSG had also apparently said no, a small surprise imo.

Gotta admit, at first the concept looked quite nice. I was thinking about top teams going against each other more often, which sounds good. But I had to read into it since it was making fans so angry and now I can see the problem. The rich gets to decide who plays and the poor does not have a say, which makes the rich more rich and the poor more poor. This must be stopped or will it ruin football at the highest level.

As much as I don't want it...
    It would make for a hell of Football Manager save next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Henx View Post
    PSG had also apparently said no, a small surprise imo.
    PSG is owned by the Qataris who are holding the FIFA World Cup next year IIRC. That might have something to do with it.

Gotta admit, at first the concept looked quite nice. I was thinking about top teams going against each other more often, which sounds good. But I had to read into it since it was making fans so angry and now I can see the problem. The rich gets to decide who plays and the poor does not have a say, which makes the rich more rich and the poor more poor. This must be stopped or will it ruin football at the highest level.
    Or do they call their bluff? When FIFA says that players at these clubs cannot participate in the World Cup (and a certain Mr L. Messi would thus lose his last chance to win it), and UEFA says they can't play in the European Cup (and the other regional bodies say the same), is this new league even going to be interesting to the best players? They wouldn't be able to draw on referee pools, either.

I mean, with 11 teams in the league that would make for a 20 game season. If it started in September they'd be done by Christmas.

Edit:
    Official press statements have now been issued, here's Liverpool's: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fir...e-competition#

"you'll never walk alone"

Yeah, right. We see who you really are.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2021-04-18 at 10:56 PM.

Just in case there wasnt enough of an us and them situation in football lets just make sure that gap isnt something another team could cross.

I assume this will mean the Champions league will no longer exist for these break away teams. How bland is it going to be when top 4 doesnt matter and the season over after 25 games. Playing in a competition you dont have to qualify for or cant get rekegated from, how anemic, you season could be over with nothing to play for after 5 games!

If I was the FA I may say that if youre in this super league then you shouldnt be in the Prem as you will play weakened teams to focus in "the big one" especially as you can finish 15th and still be in the euro super league, compromising the PLs integrity.

Maybe take 50 points of each teams thats entering that right now, Man City dont win the league, Utd and Chelsea out of champs league and Liverpool Spurs and Arsenal relegated! Wonder how many players want to play championship football?

You know what thinking about it I would love to see them kick all 6 teams out of the league tomorrow. I have been embarrassed by my team, annoyed at my team, disappointed by my team but this is the only time I ever felt ashamed.

Greedy fucks that stomp on fans our clubs and the beautiful game Id kick the shit out of all of them

I hope the players and managers make a stand, maube they are not as ouch of touch with football as the owners.
    Last edited by Marleycat; 2021-04-19 at 03:16 AM.

Fuck this capitalist league, they are trying to kill the game. Bunch of greedy bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Biden is a creepy old dude, I will not be voting for the guy.
    ^ This is from a self-proclaimed Trump-hater who goes round vote-policing, berating and insulting other users for expressing their doubts and reservations about Joe Biden. He also urges others to end relationships and friendships just to "vote Trump out". https://ibb.co/2jRnZGC He can't seem to walk the talk himself.

I've just been catching up with this news. One of the things that draws me to European football *is* relegation. The New York Jets (and my own team) were so awful for so long that they both should have been relegated, if the NFL had such a system. This is a naked grab for more money.

UEFA and FIFA already saying these clubs won't be allowed to play domestically and internationally, and that their players won't be allowed to represent their national teams.

Gary Neville blasted his old club:

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck that greedy scum. Let the Uefa and Fifa ban those clubs and players from their competitions. See how much fun they have playing 15 games a year.
    Maybe Uefa can make the CL the CHAMPIONS League again, so just for champions of their competition. I rather watch Malmo vs Bayern with an occasional surprise then PSG vs Barcelona for the 100th time.

fifa and uefa are bluffing, if i was the ESL id call their bluff. excluding ESL players from UEFA and FIFA competitions would devalue those tournaments and lose FIFA and UEFA massive amounts of money

this is a move to a global game, as in there are more Man united fans in Indonesia than there are in the UK. Wonder what times these games would be played at.
    Last edited by jonnysensible; 2021-04-19 at 05:06 AM.

I don't know if they're bluffing, but I guess it depends on the players.

If Messi, Ronaldo, etc, can't try and win the World Cup (really the last achievements they have left to achieve), they might speak out about this. I don't know if there was any player feedback on this move, but the players probably have the power to stop this if they side with FIFA. Because, after all, none of these teams worry about relegation, they're just pissed they, on occasion (or more if you're an Arsenal fan) miss the money from the Champions League.

As a Crystal Palace fan, doesn't really matter to me, so much, except to strengthen their position.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I don't know if they're bluffing, but I guess it depends on the players.

If Messi, Ronaldo, etc, can't try and win the World Cup (really the last achievements they have left to achieve), they might speak out about this. I don't know if there was any player feedback on this move, but the players probably have the power to stop this if they side with FIFA. Because, after all, none of these teams worry about relegation, they're just pissed they, on occasion (or more if you're an Arsenal fan) miss the money from the Champions League.

As a Crystal Palace fan, doesn't really matter to me, so much, except to strengthen their position.
    as another palace fan it does matter to me, this will nuke palaces money, wipe out domestic cups, weaken the competition and weaken the local community. The revenue is going to be out of proportions to the domestic league. I dont want to watch Palace play against Chelsea II or Man United Youth.

look at these teams, Man city (fifa fair play breakers) Barcelona (being bankrupt) Juventus (match fixing) most of these teams are bastards. Arsenal havent finished higher than 5th in the last 5 seasons?

In the UK we watch teams in the Championship ruin themselves financially to get into the prem, with these 5 places and the HUGE money at stake you will see clubs commit financial suicide to get an invite. its bad for the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Disappointed but at the same time not surprised, because after all, it's all about the money. It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    as another palace fan it does matter to me, this will nuke palaces money, wipe out domestic cups, weaken the competition and weaken the local community. The revenue is going to be out of proportions to the domestic league. I dont want to watch Palace play against Chelsea II or Man United Youth.

look at these teams, Man city (fifa fair play breakers) Barcelona (being bankrupt) Juventus (match fixing) most of these teams are bastards. Arsenal havent finished higher than 5th in the last 5 seasons?

In the UK we watch teams in the Championship ruin themselves financially to get into the prem, with these 5 places and the HUGE money at stake you will see clubs commit financial suicide to get an invite. its bad for the game.
    Well yeah, I agree with all this.

I was being slightly sarcastic as I dreamt of a top 4 Palace finish, lol. But the harm from this is too much.

Edit: Kudos to the French and Germans to saying fuck no, btw. Once the most bitterest of enemies, sticking together.

you guys are writing off this super league too early.

It could mean we get neymar hanging from the ceiling as flies around the crowd and throws out his latest nike boots

then lands and shakes hands with the head of whatever business paid the most for sponsership and they awkwardly hold hands infront of the company logo.

Might even get a half time show if you're lucky where ariana grande shakes her booty on stage