Thread: Superman's S

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,768

    Superman's S

    We've all seen it.
    We all know it.
    And if anyone asks, we all know what it stands for.

    Of course, it stands for Superman..





    However, in the HBO show Krypton, we see Seg-El (Grandfather), Charys-El (Great Grandmother) and Val-El (Great Great Grandfather) wears the same family crest on their chest, before they are striped of name, rank and house, and the House of El, no longer exists (microscopic spoiler, as it's the first scene of S1E1).

    So, if since the Crest originates from Krypton AND (as we see on their computer pads) they don't use letters that even remotely resembles Latin letters, what the #{^*#^}#{ does the S mean?

    Does it say "El" in Krypton language?
    Is it just a nice picture?
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2019-06-03 at 01:22 PM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  2. #2
    Means HOPE, bruh.

  3. #3
    I once read somewhere that the fact it looks like an S is because of our innate need for pattern recognition and that the symbol of house El is the yellow shapes, not the red "S". But, that could be wrong. Though, given what we have seen of Kryptonian systems... It wouldn't be THAT hard to imagine.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

  4. #4
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Broken Isles for the moment
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    Means HOPE, bruh.
    It has had different meanings every since it first debuted. Initially it was indeed just the initial for Superman.

    Wikipedia has a really nice summary of the symbol's meaning, much better than specialist DC/Superman wikias:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_logo

  5. #5
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,768
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    I once read somewhere that the fact it looks like an S is because of our innate need for pattern recognition and that the symbol of house El is the yellow shapes, not the red "S". But, that could be wrong. Though, given what we have seen of Kryptonian systems... It wouldn't be THAT hard to imagine.
    28:50 into S1E2, Seg-El cuts himself and bleeds into the Crest, and it's filled with the same red and yellow color. It's not totally unlikely what you say, as there is no emphasis on either color.
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2019-06-03 at 01:35 PM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  6. #6

    Signature Created by Jassinta

  7. #7
    Shope. The s is silent

  8. #8
    The Patient Rathwirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    262
    It always looked like a snake to me. -shrugs-

  9. #9
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    37,417
    $ Money $$$$$$$$$$$
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  10. #10
    It's an "S" for Superman which has been retconned time and time again as comics have evolved beyond simple comic strips and writers have attempted to add deeper meaning for what was once nothing more than "S" for Superman.

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,737
    Originally was just an initial, then given deeper meaning during re-imaginings and re-tellings of his origins.

    Still blows my mind though... you know we have too many superhero shows when they made a show about Superman's grandpa. What next, a show about Batman's butler?

    ...

    OH COME ON!

  12. #12
    I think even Smallville had a meaning behind the S, since it was branded on Clark's spaceship long before he ever became Superman. I believe Jor'El in the Fortress of Solitude explains it at some point.

  13. #13
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_logo

    It started as standing for Superman and then Brando decided it should be like a coat of arms. The rest is convoluted history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

  14. #14
    Mechagnome Fuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kul Tiras
    Posts
    531
    Man of Steel says it means hope, and I fucking love Man of steel so it's hope for me :d

  15. #15
    I recall some comic where it was inspired by some native-american symbol with a snake.
    "Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

    ~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang on Essays on Mind and Matter

  16. #16
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,768
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Yeah.. Except, he have no way of knowing that.

    1: He was infant when he was shipped off to earth
    2: His home planet is gone

    Thus, there is no way, he have had any chance of learning Krypton language..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Yeah.. Except, he have no way of knowing that.

    1: He was infant when he was shipped off to earth
    2: His home planet is gone

    Thus, there is no way, he have had any chance of learning Krypton language..
    You missed the part where Kal-El is in the space ship with his father explaining him everything he needs to know about Krypton and his family

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5bB96Mwidc

    "Not if you can give them hope. That's what the symbol means. The symbol of the House of the El means Hope. Embodied within that hope is the fundamental belief in the potential of every person to be a force for good. That's what you can bring them"
    Last edited by Ophenia; 2019-06-04 at 08:43 AM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Yeah.. Except, he have no way of knowing that.

    1: He was infant when he was shipped off to earth
    2: His home planet is gone

    Thus, there is no way, he have had any chance of learning Krypton language..
    Except the ship he came from with AI that teaches him literally everything about his people's history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

  19. #19
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,768
    Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Except the ship he came from with AI that teaches him literally everything about his people's history?
    Ship? It's more a projectile than a ship, barely a meter in length.

    Most of all, it looks like an artillery shell.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  20. #20
    S is an explanation for why his dress is so tight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •