The return of PvP Gear (idea)

Anyone else miss PvP gear? Remember how back in TBC-Cata you had to wear full pvp sets even in world pvp to even have a chance? And how did we obtain such gear, oh yeah by actually doing PvP.

So I was thinking, why not reintroduce PvP gear in a more interesting manner. In a way that forces you to use it for PvP as it would provide a huge advantage against players with PvE gear. However, instead of making PvP only stats like old school resilience or PvP power how about combining the PvP talent system with the Azerite system. Let me explain, since I main as Ret I'll use that as an example.

So essentially 6 different gear slots would grant an equip effect that would provide a huge advantage in a PvP scenario.

Gloves: Hammer of Justice now has a 20 yard range

Chest: Every time you or a near by party member fall below 25% health you gain 20% damage reduction and speed increase. If a player dies your redemption is usable in combat. Unusable if under the effects of forbearance. 1 min CD.

Helm: Blade of Justice now causes Hand of Hindrance for 2 sec. Reduces the CD of Hand of Hindrance by 15 sec every time it is dispelled or removed.

Legs: Freedom is now undispellable and grants 30% movement speed.

Shoulders: While shield of Vengeance is active, all crowd control effects against the paladin are also afflicted to the caster.

Ring 1: Divine Steed now knocks all enemies down.

weapon: Reduces the duration of all CC by 25% during Avenging Wrath.

Now those are some examples of possible Gear slot effects, some old some new. However, there would be multiple effects for the same gear slot which would let the player customize, like the current PvP talents. However, only UTILITY effects, not throughput. Cuz then you risk having PvE players needing to PvP in order to obtain a specific effect to max out their DPS.

Now, here's the catch. The other gear slots would be required to unlock those bonuses. Neck=helm, Belt=chest, boots=legs, back=shoulders, ring 1=ring 2, wrist=gloves, all slots=weapon. For classes that utilize 2 weapons the off hand would increase the effects of the main hand by 100%.

In addition, having two gladiator trinkets unlocks the gladiator's medallion ability.

As the icing for the cake, all pvp gear would have slightly higher stamina than normal to further gap the usefulness of PvE gear in PvP.

It doesn't feel good when it's easier to gear up for PvP through PvE. PvP vendors and gear need to make a comback. There should be no reason why fully decked out mythic raiders should have a huge advantage with insane gear effects and stats not available to most PvP players as many of them are casual, even the glads.
    Last edited by Varx; 2019-06-05 at 09:32 PM.

I would be for any change to the game that would make pvp gear relevant again. IMO - If I do PVP activities, then I should have an edge fighting against people who only do PVE activities. If I do only PVP activities, I do not expect to do the same damage as a PVE person, when fighting dragons.

Things I miss:
    1. PVP Power or resilience
    2. PVP Vendors

I think the issue here is powerlevel, you can only throw so many bonuses onto people until they basically go nuts with it, if you give each player like 7 additional effects, you first need to avoid any potential synergy between them, especially if you give each slot like ~3 different options.
    Then you also have to keep track of any possible synergies with PvP talents.

Ignoring the fact that you can only throw so many bonuses onto people without breaking certain design limitation(s), half of your bonuses kinda show that you have an issue with rets mobility / lack of tools to control caster.

In my opinion, PvP talents already create this rather weird feeling that in PvP, your character actually feels stronger due the access to PvP talents compared to PvE Content, if you then throw additional effects onto people with items, it just gets worse, altough most effects you listed aren't strictly output related, even losing certain utilities feels bad.

Also, with a system like that, you just nuke any possibility of people getting into PvP without gear, i understand the idea of PvP having its own progression, but even there your character grew slowly more powerful in a more linear fashion.

Here you just have those massive powerspikes with each piece, especially the idea of locking the bonus of a certain item behind wearing another item just feels like a cheapshot to me - i've already got the item that has this bonus, why do i need another one in order to actually activate a beneficial effect of an item that i already have?
    It's really a bendover backwards way of trying to get people to wear PvP gear.

I don't mind using PvE gear in PvP (not talking about any "special effects" items such as from Crucible of Storms) or vice versa, but the current issue is that Blizzard lacks the balls to put PvP on par with PvE content as far as loot progression goes.
    If you just limit yourself to PvP, you are not getting any decent items and even those at a far slower and more random rate.

You need like 2,1k Rating in order to have a chance to get a 400 Item, on other hand, M+10 hands you equivalent stuff, which takes far less time than to even get to 2,1k.
    It's one of those halfassed changes by Blizzard, if they want PvP Gear = PvE Gear, then make both progression(s) at least equivalent in terms of (time) effort, so a player has the choice to engage in at least one of those paths without major drawbacks.

But if Blizzard keeps it as it is, it would be better for the sake of PvP to just bring back Resilience and that's it, rather than come up with yet another "solution" to PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    Anyone else miss PvP gear? Remember how back in TBC-Cata you had to wear full pvp sets even in world pvp to even have a chance?
    Minor correction, up until MoP, Blizzard struggled to get rid off PvE Gear in PvP.

Especially in TBC, certain classes could just get away with wearing loads of PvE gear as it obviously was better in terms of raw damage, especially world pvp if the enemy wasn't wearing a PvP trinket (which they usually didn't).
    The list of broken PvE items in PvP is long.

Quote Originally Posted by maulgryve View Post
    I would be for any change to the game that would make pvp gear relevant again.

Things I miss:
    1. PVP Power or resilience
    2. PVP Vendors
    I used heavy stacked resilience gear for my advantage, since my Effective Health was so much higher than anyone else without my gear, that I could faceroll on my keyboard and still win every fight.

This was a problem, since any pve player with the best gear would have no chance even beating some pvp starter with easily farmed gear from a weekend. It made your GEAR RELEVANCE even worse for basicly everyone else, which is clearly the majority of the playerbase, since the pvp community was at 5% high a few years back and is now even smaller.

I liked PVP vendors, just as I liked universal-token based tier-sets. But it made gearprogression not really exciting for many others and you did know exactly how many hours/days you had to play till your gear was at stage X, Y, Z. So there was zero anticipation, it was more following a simple 12 week of fixed gearprogression.

We had your suggestions for many years and all its problems and I can't say the old system was so much better. People just finished their PVE BiS list, finished the fixed PVP BiS list and were done with the game and just quit, since the gear acquisition was allready boring and the needed time you had to spend was clear from the beginning the whole process was not fun.

The current generic gear drops with TF/WF mechanics are not really that bad, since even when you are full 420 geared you will still look at the next loot you got in your weekly 1500 game, since it could very well be the highest TF/socket item you or anyone else ever got. With the old system you had your vendor loot for a specific slot and if that item slot dropped again, you would just sell/disenchant it witout even looking at it - just like in diablo3, where you dont even look at items/drops anymore if they are not specific marked as elite(WoW) or archaic (D3).

I think getting loot should be allways exciting, it should be exiting if you are fresh 350 and it should be exiting if you are 420+ and very close to the ilvl cap allready. You get this only with randomness.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss WoD PvP gear, it was one of the few things that expansion got right in my opinion. It was only LFR ilvl in PvE combat but in PvP combat was up there with mythic raid ilvl (can't remember the exact numbers but it was close if not the same). I still don't understand why they dumped this idea as it worked quite well in my opinion.
    Pokemon Shield
    FC: SW-6999-1982-1088
    Name: Awesome
    Always ready to battle!

I would love to have PvP Vendors back

Quote Originally Posted by Ramaloce View Post
    I miss WoD PvP gear, it was one of the few things that expansion got right in my opinion. It was only LFR ilvl in PvE combat but in PvP combat was up there with mythic raid ilvl (can't remember the exact numbers but it was close if not the same). I still don't understand why they dumped this idea as it worked quite well in my opinion.
    totally agree, WoD did great in that aspect, and PvP in WoD was probably the best WoW has ever seen. That's not a coincidence. It's a result.
    It was a simple system that allowed devs to focus on raw balance rather than dabbling into character power levels acqired from gear and its (this power) interaction with how a given class was performing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramaloce View Post
    Bringing back the wod pvp gear would be great. I made a bunch of posts about it when legion launched, as that xpacks messed up pvp for good. Then I just gave up and went pve.

Do you trust Blizzard being able to balance that?

Bringing back the wod pvp gear would be great. I made a bunch of posts about it when legion launched, as that xpacks messed up pvp for good. Then I just gave up and went pve.

On the wow forums In the PVP section Battlegrounda I did a poll about PVP Vendors got over 2k votes here the link.
    https://www.strawpoll.me/17811073
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...oll/150665/376
    Last edited by bdmxd; 2019-06-17 at 12:30 AM.