Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Take your LFG addon, shine it up real nice and shove it up your ass.

Infracted.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2019-06-07 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Didn't ruin it for me on private servers, all it really is, is a chat saver so you don't have to carefully scroll through chat in the hope that someone is doing a dungeon you want.

I also never played on hugely populated servers back in the day either, they were normally medium size, so chat was much easier to read. With far bigger servers, any LFG channel the community creates will be spammed to hell.
    Is there an addon on ps that allows you to give "notes" to all players you meet?
    An addon like that could only improve the classic experience.

My brain forgets people constatntly.

I would probably forget the name of the person who helped me on a difficult quest while leveling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Is there an addon on ps that allows you to give "notes" to all players you meet?

I would probably forget the name of the person who helped me on a difficult quest while leveling
    Not as far as I am aware, but it’s something I’ve never looked for. It may be quite simple to create for someone who makes addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post

Can't you simply put them on your friendlist?

Quote Originally Posted by Sumonk View Post
    Can't you simply put them on your friendlist?
    Every single person of my server? And every single person i do a group with?

Its ok, there is probably an addon for me out there forget about it

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    "I'm an adult and don't have time to play Classic so I'm gonna push for it to suit me better despite 14 years of people asking for it as it is."

BTW there isn't such a thing as a 1 hour dungeon, not even UBRS should take that long, unless you're generous to time wasters.
    Right...because noone ever tried to get into carry groups for 45 minute baron runs as they were so "easy" for everyone to do right?

Quote Originally Posted by Isilarya View Post
    Right...because noone ever tried to get into carry groups for 45 minute baron runs as they were so "easy" for everyone to do right?
    ? ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

? ?
    You give me no context with that. Either you arent aware that most the playerbase struggled to ever finish the 45 UD Strat run without carries or that it was even a thing in the first place.

You give me no context with that. Either you arent aware that most the playerbase struggled to ever finish the 45 UD Strat run without carries or that it was even a thing in the first place.
    So what has that got to do with the post of mine you quoted originally? You're not actually claiming a 45 min baron run takes an hour (given I already accepted you'd have to be generous to time wasters). UBRS runs take about 45 minutes to complete, even with 10 people, unless you make a habit of standing around while people go AFK. Even then most of the run you can afford to have someone answering the front door while you clear trash or any of the bosses.

So yeah, not sure what you're saying, hence "??".
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

So what has that got to do with the post of mine you quoted originally? You're not actually claiming a 45 min baron run takes an hour (given I already accepted you'd have to be generous to time wasters). UBRS runs take about 45 minutes to complete, even with 10 people, unless you make a habit of standing around while people go AFK. Even then most of the run you can afford to have someone answering the front door while you clear trash or any of the bosses.

So yeah, not sure what you're saying, hence "??".
    Im saying that it was a CHALLENGE to get it done that fast, most people took well above 45 minutes in UD Strat, BRD runs ive been lost in upwards of 3 hours especially if you wipe to ANYTHING when you are more than 30% in you can wind up having to reclear half an instance. Like ive already resolved to not pug jailbreak for Ony attunement just because even though its right next to the front door ive met more failure than success with that damn quest. We are all vastly better at video games by now (I hope) so yes the dynamic probably changes but since we dont have access to these things going off how they were in 05....these dungeons were a crap shoot. Dont join a party if you dont have 2 hours to burn was a general theme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep discussion not related to the addon to other, more suitable parts of the forum.

Dont join a party if you dont have 2 hours to burn was a general theme.
    Was, sure.

No one will know for sure I guess, but the attitude of "This aspect of the game will take more than I can afford therefore tailor it to take less time for me" was the 'beginning of the end' and very counter to the feelings people were expressing when asking for Classic back. I get that this particular addon isn't an LFG tool in the modern sense; I was just refuting that argument. Very much in the "hurr durr go play retail if you don't have time for Classic" sense that's been staple of this subforum since it's inception.

EDIT: Sorry for the offtopic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsoni View Post
    Take this addon and shove it up your ass
    Yeah! I only wanna find my groups by standing around in SW not doing anything productive and spamming trade chat!!1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    People will keep making these threads because this quickly triggered community will keep falling for them.

This supposed addon does not exist and is not possible. Blizzard already neutered group forming addons by blocking the communication they depend on. Not to mention the fact that without a sophisticated machine learning backend, deciphering chat would always be a horrible failure.
    False. Why make up lies?

It's a pretty simple concept that Blizz couldn't do anything about anyway if enough people used the addon. All it takes is for one person to be in a city and it essentially records their chat log and posts it in the addon chatlog if it appears to be a message concerning looking for a group. So, it would just have to look for key words like "looking for group" or "LFG" and other variations. The addon can simply use a custom created channel in the background to store the messages that get pulled in from other users and then another channel that posts messages out to users. There's no realistic way to block this without breaking things in their own game.

I assume that's the gist of the concept or at least how I would approach it.

I wish someone would just port the PremadeGroupFinder to Classic. It's a very good tool for creating and finding groups.

I mean ultimately this does sound like something that existed. I dont remember a ton but it was basically an addon that linked to other people who had the addon that basically just extended city chats to you as long as someone with the addon was in one. Wasnt a ton of functionality beyond that you still had to manually /w someone once you saw there spam. I guess you could just call it a chat extender?

Edit: I see basically the entire beta is in a custom world channel but i feel like either the ability to create that didnt exist back then or we were collectively too stupid to do it. One of the biggest draws to the upper pvp ranks was talking in a global channel.

I am currently in the process of developing a LFG addon for classic and I got the basic functionalities working. As I do want to create a tool that somewhat reflect the spirit of the classic community I want to reach out to you guys and get feedback or suggestions on features that should or should not be included. I know a lot of people are very sensitive when it comes to a LFG tool for classic and thats exactly why I want to try to work it out with the community. I will consolidate all the feedback and suggestions provided in this thread in the OP.
    The following is a small summary of what features are currently planned and which are not:

Planned/Already implemented:

Parse chat messages for groups:
    The addon checks all public messaging channels your character sees and tries to figure out if this message has the purpose of looking for people for a dunngeon. If such a message is found it will broadcast this message to other people using the addon. This means that the message of a player in stormwind that is looking for people to do deadmines with is going to be relayed to people outside of stormwind and vice versa. This enables people to actually go out in the world and do quests, farm, PvP and more.
    The addon then shows this in a nice formated way in its interface. You can then just click on the group and whisper the leader to join them

Addon created groups:
    This feature allows you to list your group in the tool with a button click and makes it visible to everyone with the addon. It also advertises for your group in a configurable chat channel of your choice, so even people without the addon are going to notice your group. People with the addon can just queue for your group and will show up in the list of applicants.
    This does not only include dungeons, but also has a custom category for world events like: World Bosses, Stranglethorn Arena ect.

Ignore List:
    Groups that contain people on your ignore list will not show up for you in the tool.

Not Planned:

- Making item level of applicants available to a group leader
    - Automated matchmaking

If you want to try out the addon for yourself, a first release is available on the twitch app or curseforge. I really hope to get your guys opinion on this in a civilized way
    /join world - This is what you use when you want to look for a group outside a city.

There will never be item level in Classic. So why is it even in the "Not Planned" section.

Honestly you sound like your full of shit but GL either way.

Addon created groups:
    This feature allows you to list your group in the tool with a button click and makes it visible to everyone with the addon. It also advertises for your group in a configurable chat channel of your choice, so even people without the addon are going to notice your group. People with the addon can just queue for your group and will show up in the list of applicants.
    I'm curious as to whether you have this implemented, and functional in the addon or you're just full of it/trolling, because in patch 5.1 Blizzard intentionally broke oQueue under the guise of auto-queuing PvP premades for group members. Not only did they disable that functionality (obviously), they disabled exactly what you're describing as "people can queue for your group and show up in a list".

Ion explicitly stated at Blizzcon
    Small tweaks will be made but core original ideas like having to manually find a party without LFG (looking for group) tools are in
    . Source.

Either way, I'm guessing that Blizzard won't allow such addons, as with the case of oQueue. In the end, all you're really offering is saving someone the time to type out "LF1M Mara, need heals".

Quote Originally Posted by THoyt View Post
    I'm curious as to whether you have this implemented, and functional in the addon or you're just full of it/trolling, because in patch 5.1 Blizzard intentionally broke oQueue under the guise of auto-queuing PvP premades for group members. Not only did they disable that functionality (obviously), they disabled exactly what you're describing as "people can queue for your group and show up in a list".

Ion explicitly stated at Blizzcon . Source.

Either way, I'm guessing that Blizzard won't allow such addons, as with the case of oQueue. In the end, all you're really offering is saving someone the time to type out "LF1M Mara, need heals".
    How exactly would they break an addon that just interacts with the chat? All it needs is a custom channel that people with the addon join? Or am I missing something?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Gl with development. Problem with addons like that is always that same: people that want to start using will expect that using it will get them into a group without having to interact with people, and people putting groups together expect that actual type of behaviour from people using the addons. Result is that you get shit for using the addon and stop using it.
    You are assuming that the same people that played way back when are simply going to be the only ones playing Classic. I think many like yourself are absolutely in for a very rude awakening if you think that Classic is going to be any sociable than the retail version finds itself today. You and others may have some controls like old, but the people that did not play Classic, but have played everything since will be the bulk of the people who will turn Classic into the current retail version in due time. The real world and this game were far different animals than way back when in 2004 through 2006.

People today are far more anti-social, intolerant, self-indulged, and self-absorbed for Classic to be anything remotely close to the social being it was long ago. Course that is not going to keep people like yourself from spouting delusional nonsense, like above. Addons and everything else will eventually find there way into Classic and one only has to turn to retail version of every game on the block out there today that have been turned into utter sh*tholes over the course of time. The community this time around will not be able to keep the bad elements from rearing the own ugly head. This Classic version of the game will be retail, not private, so anything and everything will simply go.

Quote Originally Posted by THoyt View Post

Ion explicitly stated at Blizzcon . Source.

Yes, that functionality is implemented and working.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    How exactly would they break an addon that just interacts with the chat? All it needs is a custom channel that people with the addon join? Or am I missing something?
    That is correct!