Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    no that would be Wizards of the Coast who think that and only gave BG to Larian when they proved they could do it.

I'd put my faith in Wizards of the Coast more than the "fans"
    And this is the thing people are missing. WotC are very protective of their IP, especially after a few errors the last few years (the last being that awful Waterdeep mobile game) so to take something as beloved as the BG series, you need to prove you are more than capable at handling your shit.

Also you know people like Mearls and co have a hand in this themselves with regards to direction.

Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    And this is the thing people are missing. WotC are very protective of their IP, especially after a few errors the last few years (the last being that awful Waterdeep mobile game) so to take something as beloved as the BG series, you need to prove you are more than capable at handling your shit.

Also you know people like Mearls and co have a hand in this themselves with regards to direction.
    yeah Larian had contacted them ages back about making BG3 but WOTC took one look at dark alliance and said "Sorry no." It was only after both Divinity OS 1 and 2 that they agreed Larian were the only ones who could handle BG3 with a DnD system. This time they approached them.

All this talk about "its a BG skin on divinity" and "they're doing a fallout 3 and using BG purely for marketing purposes" is bulshit born of ignorance which falls apart the moment we look at the situation and circumstances.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2020-03-14 at 06:19 AM.

Why are they protective? Their games mostly suck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    yeah Larian had contacted them ages back about making BG3 but WOTC took one look at dark alliance and said "Sorry no." It was only after both Divinity OS 1 and 2 that they agreed Larian were the only ones who could handle BG3 with a DnD system. This time they approached them.

All this talk about "its a BG skin on divinity" and "they're doing a fallout 3 and using BG purely for marketing purposes" is bulshit born of ignorance which falls apart the moment we look at the situation and circumstances.
    It is DOS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    So the future games wont suck? It's not hard to figure.

It is DOS3.
    Opinion noted.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

An expansion/DLC may take us to 12-15 but not all adventures are designed to reach cap.

Level 20 combat is, frankly, ridiculous. Few games exist right now to encapsulate it, my concern is the range of available class archtypes and races available, I expect a lot of QQ when people can't faithfully recreate their favourite characters.
    The question is, can a game do a better job than we can do at the table for high level play?
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The question is, can a game do a better job than we can do at the table for high level play?
    Depends on the budget and experience of your GM. Having both the aesthetics to give encounters that epic feel, as well as the expertise to manage certain encounters.

It's like trying to do a P&P version of WoW raid bosses, you could but it's likely in most cases the game would do it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Depends how well their game master system is, i don't believe it is the highest priority right now. That is if you speak about playing it with friends.

Beyond that it is an interesting addition that they have visible dice rolls for important choices.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/i-love-th...big-decisions/

Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-03-14 at 09:51 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    - - - Updated - - -

It is DOS3.
    Which is why they will make $ millions off it.

There are some differences however, but overall, you are correct. It looks a lot like how DOS2 works. Only better with some changes. How it will actually end up is yet to be seen in terms of how much better it will be. But I am certainly excited about it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Meh, Divinity: Original Sin 3 with a different skin. Not for Baldur's Gate fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Meh, Divinity: Original Sin 3 with a different skin. Not for Baldur's Gate fans.
    And yet, plenty of fans here expressing excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Not for you, because you demand no iterative improvements to a 20-year-old game series for some reason, maybe.

I'm a big fan of the series. And I'm super excited. So stop pretending you speak for anyone but your own gatekeeping self.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    And yet, plenty of fans here expressing excitement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not for you, because you demand no iterative improvements to a 20-year-old game series for some reason, maybe.

I'm a big fan of the series. And I'm super excited. So stop pretending you speak for anyone but your own gatekeeping self.
    User you are responding to is a know troll, check post history to verify and put on ignore.

Have they said anything about how many companions will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    Have they said anything about how many companions will be available?
    Five in early access, more on the way plus mercenaries.

Bloodsail Admiral Magical Mudcrab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    it rly depends on what encounters you are throwing at your players tough, i love how 5e made things like "healer and tank not be necessary", but if you rly want, the encounter could be hard enough to need healers, had one encounter, as a player that if it was not by the healer, with big heal spells, he would end up with a tpk
    Not to be that guy, but the least efficient kind of healing is - well - healing. I generally enjoy playing spellcasters (primarily Wizard), and I've found that the best way to deal with almost any encounter is to mitigate when possible, which spellcasters excel at. Some examples of this:
    - If against a powerful melee user opponent (like an Oathbreaker Paladin, or a giant of some kind), use Levitate so they're effectively removed from combat
    - If against a horde of enemies, use Wall of Force to section them off to deal with later
    - If against a powerful flying enemy (such as a Dragon that is attacking from the sky), use Earthbind to stop its movement and force it to land
    - Always have Counterspell ready -- this may seem obvious, but everyone in your party will be ecstatic when you're able to stop the enemy spellcaster from using their Fireballs and Chain Lightning
    - If dealing with lots of ranged units, interpose a Fog Cloud between you and them, or even put it on top of them if you're able; attackers can't attack what they cannot see

That's just a few examples, but spellcasters, specifically, have lots of ways to make encounters easily doable without having a healer. The main issues is that most spellcasters want to be evokers and simply throw some Fireballs around and call it a day, which is obviously fine but does lead to most players not seeing the potential spellcasters have to mitigate a large part of a fights difficulty by themselves.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

honestly given how many parroted responses we keep getting which say pretty much the same thing which we've already countered and put down, maybe we should prepare a stock response to copy paste every time some hollow headed grand stander repeats it yet again.

- - - Updated - - -

its because the few times they did trust a company, the company messed it up. They've since become much more cynical and have hired a number of talent names from the gaming industry since then.

Just a shame they can't include both rtwp and turn based modes like the new pathfinder game will. That way everyone would be happy and could play whatever they prefered and i much prefer rtwp over turnbased.
    Do you hear the voices too?

"It's just D:OS3"

Yes, in the same way Dragon Age was just a shiny graphics Baldur's Gate/Icewynd Dale/Neverwinter etc.

Let's not forget the fact they have different styles and rules of combat, different classes, different levelling systems, stats, character progression, itemisation and lore.

It's totally just Original Sin 3 >.>

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Just a shame they can't include both rtwp and turn based modes like the new pathfinder game will. That way everyone would be happy and could play whatever they prefered and i much prefer rtwp over turnbased.
    It's just easier/better to focus on a single mode. That way you don't have to make compromises for each of the modes.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-03-16 at 03:19 PM.