Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ...
    I'm amused at people trashing armour systems in a Baldur's Gate thread and the subject NOT being THAC0

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, really hoping XGTE content gets added soon, especially some of the sub classes, most notably hexblade.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2020-03-30 at 03:10 PM.

Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I'm amused at people trashing armour systems in a Baldur's Gate and the subject NOT being THAC0
    The armor discussion was for DOS2, which used a dual physical/magical armor system and, IMO, did feel gimmicky after a while. It was a good concept which I liked initially, but as the game dragged on I felt it fell apart. I'm sure others felt it was perfectly fine; it's really a preference/feel thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    The armor discussion was for DOS2, which used a dual physical/magical armor system and, IMO, did feel gimmicky after a while. It was a good concept which I liked initially, but as the game dragged on I felt it fell apart. I'm sure others felt it was perfectly fine; it's really a preference/feel thing.
    I meant to put the word "thread" after Baldur's Gate, which significantly changes the meaning of my post, apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    IIRC Larian even stated that the Ranger in BG3 will use some of what people call the "revised ranger" which uses the unofficial revisions that Mike Mearls worked on. So that's very good news, as it means the Ranger in BG3 should by default be in a better shape in its first ever official video game capacity under the 5e system.
    Oh my that's even better! Thanks for this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I meant to put the word "thread" after Baldur's Gate, which significantly changes the meaning of my post, apologies.
    THAC0 is annoying lol. Especially when there's inconsistent messaging between AC bonuses from armor too.

"Ok so I want my AC to go lower, but this Shield says it gives +1 AC does that mean I'm easier to hit?! Oh looks like it actually subtracts 1 from AC when I equip it."

Like jeezus lol so dumb. Keep it consistent!

On the Ranger issue, I think it was mentioned in one of the interviews that they are not using the PHB Ranger.

- - - Updated - - -

THAC0 is annoying lol. Especially when there's inconsistent messaging between AC bonuses from armor too.

"Ok so I want my AC to go lower, but this Shield says it gives +1 AC does that mean I'm easier to hit?! Oh looks like it actually subtracts 1 from AC when I equip it."

Like jeezus lol so dumb. Keep it consistent!
    AD&D design was some weird shit. I blame drugs.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    AD&D design was some weird shit. I blame drugs.
    Since the BG games were on sale I've bought both to playthrough in prep for BG3, also just in the mood for CRPGs with many lined up after (PoE, PK, DOS).

They certainly have their charm, but sometimes I get my party equipped and their inventory sorted and I'm like ok I need a break cuz that was a lot of micro-management lol.

I want to play these oldies so I don't play something modern that BG would "feel too archaic to play".

Since the BG games were on sale I've bought both to playthrough in prep for BG3, also just in the mood for CRPGs with many lined up after (PoE, PK, DOS).

They certainly have their charm, but sometimes I get my party equipped and their inventory sorted and I'm like ok I need a break cuz that was a lot of micro-management lol.

I want to play these oldies so I don't play something modern that BG would "feel too archaic to play".
    My main issue is how arcane the rules for item bonus stacking are in BG. Doesn't help that they are different than in actual D&D (though not as different as the races, which used to have quite a few extra rules). But party wide inventory management is actually fun for me. And in BG you have a good reason to keep a lot of special weapons and armor for specific cases. Plus consumables are very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Plus consumables are very important.
    Can't be overstated! I actually like these games making them important vs other games where people tend to hoard consumables and then never use them because they turn out unnecessary.

Also towns feel safe and adventuring out feels dangerous, another aspect I notice a lot of modern RPGs don't have.

There is a reason Korgan carries a veritable arsenal of one handers in my BG2 runs, the only constant is Crom Faeyr in the offhand.

The mainhand goes between FoMH or one of several other weapons that gives him vs type versatility.

Damn, urge to play BG1/2 rises. I just discovered Sword Coast Stratagems, which apparently greatly enhances combat and AI, making game much more tactical. I think I will check it.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

For those interested, in running BG1/2:

BG2 Fix Pack - Fixed a number of bugs and text/grammatical errors (English text only).
    Ascension - A collection of changes to Throne of Bhaal, aimed at providing a richer story and more tactically interesting gameplay.
    BG1 Unfinished Business - Restores cut content and quests from BG1 and TotSC.
    BG2 Unfinished Business - Restores cut content and quests from BG2.
    BG2 Tweaks - Graphical and animation tweaks, adds/adjusts a number of things, including rules changes and companions (these are asked on an individual basis during installation, since it also includes various cheats as well for those so inclined).
    Font Mod - Adjusts the font size (very useful for modern resolutions).

BG Trilogy - Combines BG1, TotSC, BG2 into one seamless game. Is a mod installed on BG2; therefore, the story of BG/TotSC can be experienced with the updated graphics, better resolution, and interface improvements present in BG2, including class/race options not available in BG1.

* Note: I do not know if these have been updated to work on the EE games; with the above mods I've never needed to play the EE versions. I would guess that the Font Mod is not needed for the EEs.

Larian will appear during Guerilla Convention June 6th. More news about BG 3 AND Divinity series (not Divinity 3, though).

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Larian will appear during Guerilla Convention June 6th. More news about BG 3 AND Divinity series (not Divinity 3, though).

Could be because BG3 is basically Divinity 3. Good to see they are going to be giving us more news about BG3 however.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Could be because BG3 is basically Divinity 3. Good to see they are going to be giving us more news about BG3 however.
    Or could it be that Larian is not a very big studio, and can't make two high profile games at the same time?

Or could it be that Larian is not a very big studio, and can't make two high profile games at the same time?
    I can not question that. Was not my point anyway, but rather, why make DS3, when BG3 is, as I said, basically DS3 with some different lore and story? Not sure why they would make a DS3, other than maybe to continue the lore and story surrounding it. But that could be done with a expansion.

I do not care that BG3 is very similar to DS2. I really enjoyed that game and am looking forward to BG3. Larian Studios is a great developer.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I can not question that. Was not my point anyway, but rather, why make DS3, when BG3 is, as I said, basically DS3 with some different lore and story? Not sure why they would make a DS3, other than maybe to continue the lore and story surrounding it. But that could be done with a expansion.

I do not care that BG3 is very similar to DS2. I really enjoyed that game and am looking forward to BG3. Larian Studios is a great developer.
    I mean, it is the same for From Software. Why make Sekiro, if Dark Souls 4 could also be a success? They will come back to Dark Souls, and Larian will come back to Divinity, eventually.

I mean, it is the same for From Software. Why make Sekiro, if Dark Souls 4 could also be a success? They will come back to Dark Souls, and Larian will come back to Divinity, eventually.
    I will be ok with that. But if BG3 is very successful for them, my bet would be them sticking to it and coming out with BG4 after it.

I will be ok with that. But if BG3 is very successful for them, my bet would be them sticking to it and coming out with BG4 after it.
    I guess it will depend on how BG3 is built, storywise. BG obviously had a followup story. Which is true for most CRPGs that got sequels. Not that you cannot have endless CRPGs set up in the Forgotten Realms; damn place is massive (though imo Eberron would make a far better choice).

Which apparently is a "5 minute reel that showcases various key features".

And there it is:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1266414348722896896?s=20
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-05-30 at 09:50 AM.