Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ...
38
78
86
87
88
89
LastLast
  1. #1741
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    I did not like Original Sin 2, due to armor mechanic. Glad to see it isnt here.
    And, imo the engine and whistles of pillars, torment, tyranny or kingmakes is better, but thats personall preference.
    A lot of people didn't like the armor mechanic, that's why there's overhaul mods to remove it.

  2. #1742
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    24,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    I did not like Original Sin 2, due to armor mechanic. Glad to see it isnt here.
    And, imo the engine and whistles of pillars, torment, tyranny or kingmakes is better, but thats personall preference.
    Well, most games will have their fans and critics. I did not have any issues with the armor mechanics in OS2. I guess with myself at least, I tend to look at the overall feel and enjoyment of a game I am playing. Like I posted about the rolling dice element I do not like in BG3, I would rather not have it, but the game overall feels like it is going to be a excellent rpg when released.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  3. #1743
    I just want Paladin class and level 5 now please. I hate waiting for things but BG3 is shaping up to be such a sick game.

  4. #1744
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, most games will have their fans and critics. I did not have any issues with the armor mechanics in OS2. I guess with myself at least, I tend to look at the overall feel and enjoyment of a game I am playing. Like I posted about the rolling dice element I do not like in BG3, I would rather not have it, but the game overall feels like it is going to be a excellent rpg when released.
    When the game revolves aroung combat (and os2 is mostly focused on combat and exploration) when one of main combat features is annoying then i dont enjoy most of the game.

  5. #1745
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    I just want Paladin class and level 5 now please. I hate waiting for things but BG3 is shaping up to be such a sick game.
    Bet it will take a month or so until we get new class. Level 5, I hope we get it in 3 months or so.

    I also look forward to Paladin. 5e Paladins are badass.

  6. #1746
    The Lightbringer Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orbis Terrarum
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Bet it will take a month or so until we get new class. Level 5, I hope we get it in 3 months or so.

    I also look forward to Paladin. 5e Paladins are badass.
    Monk or rito!
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

  7. #1747
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Monk or rito!
    Tbh I just want a roadmap and a charisma class that isn't a warlock. Any and all new content will be thoroughly appreciated, I'm just super impatient to play the full game. We also need an equivalent good-aligned romance scene to that incredible drow lady.

  8. #1748
    is the stealth bad as bg2?
    and how is playing evil characters with the system? bad like in the paper 5ed?

  9. #1749
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    I did not like Original Sin 2, due to armor mechanic.
    I hated that too. It was needlessly mechanical. Every aspect of gameplay is supposed to be a necessary and coherent metaphor in games. I really didn't think that the armor bar was effective in either regard either.

    The D&D ruleset reigns in a lot of the weirder Larian design tendencies, I think.

    Be on the lookout for Pathfinder: Wrath of The Righteous coming soon!

  10. #1750
    Kind of amazing they even get to make another game after how awful unfinished and buggy the first Pathfinder game was

  11. #1751
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    A lot of people didn't like the armor mechanic, that's why there's overhaul mods to remove it.
    I understand what they tried to do with it, but in practice it just ended up encouraging extremely high damage builds so that you could CC chain enemies before you got CC chained, and that's just not fun. Doesn't help that they also gave most difficult bosses crazy high Initiative so they blew up your armor before you could retaliate if you didn't also cheese yourself.

    And the fact that mods can remove it, doesn't make it good design. Same argument I have with Bethesda games, yeah it's cool that you can mod the bad shit out of them (and to be clear they're as a rule way worse than Larian games about that), but the doesn't make the design good.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

  12. #1752
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I understand what they tried to do with it, but in practice it just ended up encouraging extremely high damage builds so that you could CC chain enemies before you got CC chained, and that's just not fun. Doesn't help that they also gave most difficult bosses crazy high Initiative so they blew up your armor before you could retaliate if you didn't also cheese yourself.

    And the fact that mods can remove it, doesn't make it good design. Same argument I have with Bethesda games, yeah it's cool that you can mod the bad shit out of them (and to be clear they're as a rule way worse than Larian games about that), but the doesn't make the design good.
    Well without armor it is just a CC fest anyway. The original Divinity was just about chain CCIng stuff to make them lose turns.

    BG3 will have the same problem that all D&D games have where "save or suck" spells just dominate everything past mid-level, and whether they work or not is completely random. Like random mind flayers or spellcasters in BG2 who dropped a chaos on your party - oops, everyone failed, might as well reload. That's such degenerate gameplay by 2020 standards.

    I really like the Divinity 2 mod that makes the status effects debuff your character but not lose turns. That is much better design.

  13. #1753
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Bet it will take a month or so until we get new class. Level 5, I hope we get it in 3 months or so.

    I also look forward to Paladin. 5e Paladins are badass.
    What's paladins like in DnD? in some games paladins are pretty much just fighters with some buffs and shiny spell effects, i'm really hoping for something similar to warcraft or WoW, like chopping and smashing your foes with divine might

  14. #1754
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Well without armor it is just a CC fest anyway. The original Divinity was just about chain CCIng stuff to make them lose turns.

    BG3 will have the same problem that all D&D games have where "save or suck" spells just dominate everything past mid-level, and whether they work or not is completely random. Like random mind flayers or spellcasters in BG2 who dropped a chaos on your party - oops, everyone failed, might as well reload. That's such degenerate gameplay by 2020 standards.

    I really like the Divinity 2 mod that makes the status effects debuff your character but not lose turns. That is much better design.
    Indeed, the solution is to nerf CC so that you don't need the armor to block the overpowered CC that can disable characters for several turns to begin with, or other annoying shit like Decaying.

    It is my understanding that 5e D&D is less savage with save or die spells than 2e was back in the days, but yeah I picture lots of quickloads ahead of me when half the party gets Charmed or a character I like gets level drained or int drained into oblivion. I think there's a reason my favorite party-based RPGs didn't have stupid shit like that (or not as much of it), or that my favorite turn-based games (such as XCOM 2 or Darkest Dungeon) have character deaths as a feature and not a basically automatic failure state. It greatly helps lessen the blows of the RNG.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

  15. #1755
    Save or die yeah, but save or suck is still going strong. Confusion is basically unchanged for 20 years - drop it on a group, if a couple fail their saves you might as well reload. There are plenty of other examples, and of course enemies will have all this stuff long before your party does.

  16. #1756
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Kind of amazing they even get to make another game after how awful unfinished and buggy the first Pathfinder game was
    A few patches made it one of the best RPGs of the modern era. When they added the entirely turn-based mode, the game really took off. The mod community is robust as well.

    I have never encountered a single bug, glitch, or issue with 'Kingmaker', fwiw.

    Games on release rarely matter these days with live services, DLC, and patching available on PC and Console rather passively. No Man's Sky, Among Us, Titanfall 2, Apex Legends, Destiny 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, Avorion, Wolcen, Inquisitor, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, even Divinity Original Sin had significant and/or progressive updates which changed the respective games around. Fan reaction & aggregate reviews tend toward positive too.

    There is a reason why Steam made the distinction between recent and historical reviews of products. Static release day assessments are bygone for the most part, and the industry will likely never go back.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    What's paladins like in DnD? in some games paladins are pretty much just fighters with some buffs and shiny spell effects...
    That's exactly what they are like. The World of Warcraft variant is atypical.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    BG3 will have the same problem that all D&D games have where "save or suck" spells just dominate everything past mid-level, and whether they work or not is completely random. Like random mind flayers or spellcasters in BG2 who dropped a chaos on your party - oops, everyone failed, might as well reload. That's such degenerate gameplay by 2020 standards.
    Well, it's more a problem that stems from efficient actions. Or rather, how many actions you maximize per round/turn. This is common to many turn-based systems.

    Because all actions are a resource, I can't dynamically run out of a stinking cloud or dodge away from a scorching ray without committing an inherent action. In of itself, you are not in too much danger from this type of mechanism in D&D but the rules provide a lot of asymmetrical snowballing (if you will) that you are totally right in saying, 'Might as well reload."

    There are some systems that essentially use a resource of reaction to correct this snowballing effect. But fundamentally, D&D was and is a combat-based game where players are assumed to have a certain amount of leeway. I don't think video games can ever get us there though.


    I really like the Divinity 2 mod that makes the status effects debuff your character but not lose turns. That is much better design.
    Yea, I liked that too.

  17. #1757
    To each their own, but I thought the PF game was awful. And granted (as is probably obvious), I think most D&D mechanics are really stale after 20+ years. I loathe the concept of spells per day with a passion.

    Part of the reason I found the Divinity games refreshing despite their flaws was that they had their own rules and systems without relying on d20s and outdated tabletop mechanics. But ymmv

  18. #1758
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    13,027
    Picked it up tonight, here's a few first impressions.

    Some of the spells go from slightly different to vastly different. Firebolt goes from a D10 to a D6 with ignite, thamaturgy gives advantage on persuasion and (iirc) intimidation rolls (it also currently isn't working) and there's a few others that have gone through a change to transcribe from PnP to the game.

    I hit a few of these various skill checks people were complaining about including a DC18 from a certain psycopathic druid and I offer one piece of advice.

    Always run guidance on your charisma person, just like in D&D itself, if your Cleric isn't spamming guidance at every god given opportunity then you're making things unnecessarily difficult.

    I love that shove/disengage and hide along with potion drinking are on the bonus action, rather than the action. This gives you a much healthier action economy.

    Loving this early run through, probably killed people I need but oh well!


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  19. #1759
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Picked it up tonight, here's a few first impressions.

    Some of the spells go from slightly different to vastly different. Firebolt goes from a D10 to a D6 with ignite, thamaturgy gives advantage on persuasion and (iirc) intimidation rolls (it also currently isn't working) and there's a few others that have gone through a change to transcribe from PnP to the game.

    I hit a few of these various skill checks people were complaining about including a DC18 from a certain psycopathic druid and I offer one piece of advice.

    Always run guidance on your charisma person, just like in D&D itself, if your Cleric isn't spamming guidance at every god given opportunity then you're making things unnecessarily difficult.

    I love that shove/disengage and hide along with potion drinking are on the bonus action, rather than the action. This gives you a much healthier action economy.

    Loving this early run through, probably killed people I need but oh well!
    Using Thaumaturgy to give you advantage on rolls is pretty much one of the things it's supposed to do. Trying to scare someone into talking vs trying to scare someone into talking while lights flicker, windows bang open and close etc is quite the leap.

    But the change to fire bolt is strange..

  20. #1760
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    13,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Using Thaumaturgy to give you advantage on rolls is pretty much one of the things it's supposed to do. Trying to scare someone into talking vs trying to scare someone into talking while lights flicker, windows bang open and close etc is quite the leap.
    It has other uses but yes, the creative option of the spell has been shifted to a straight advantage. Or it would if it worked.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •