Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ...
    Disengage (neither should Shove or Hide for that matter) shouldn't be a bonus action for obvious reasons. Firstly, it invalidates a Rogue class feature and similarly a Goblin racial feature. In addition, casters and range attackers have no disadvantage anymore, they don't have to care about attacks of opportunities or attacking with disadvantage because they can just disengage. In fact, there's no point in attacks of opportunity at all anymore (apart from the off case you wanna cast a spell as a bonus action, big deal).

Ray of Frost is currently ridiculously powerful for a cantrip. Prone is completely off in the current version. In 5e the Prone condition gives you advantage against ranged attacks, and disadvantage against melee attacks, as well as disadvantage on attack rolls. In BG3 it's basically just a lost turn. You can't get up at half your movement speed and you can't do anything from prone instead you just lose your action. You can't drop prone to protect against ranged attacks, and being prone gives no advantages against such attacks. It needs serious fixing.

Not even really going to go into surfaces, but see Ray of Frost.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2020-10-19 at 12:02 PM.

Ray of Frost as it stands is ridiculously broken, short of vulnerabilities/resistances, it's the staple go to as a wizard. No reason to use anything else.

Disengage on the bonus is also an issue with casters/range just ignoring melee at will, but it also does let you get away from endless pursue/melee that the AI loves to target casters with.

Also not a fan of the prone change.

Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

Damn, there's so much unique dialogue for a Drow (especially Lolth Sworn) in the Goblin areas. First of all, they just let you in wherever you want to go, no questions asked (instead they may apologize for being unworthy to be in my presence). But I found the best one yet. I popped a potion of animal talking I got from rummaging through Ethel's hut to talk with the rats inside the sanctum to see if they know some interesting stuff. But then I noticed the Goblins are feeding some dude to their spiders. So I had my Wizard cast Feather Fall on me and then I jumped down to the pit. The spiders wanted to eat me, but I could BS my way out. And one of the options, the one unique to Lolth Sworn Drow, was to impersonate Lolth herself. Upon passing it you get some unique dialogue and can order the spiders. To either sit tight or to slaughter the Goblins.

Also, I accidentally killed the Druid. I wanted to socialize with the Goblin kids throwing rocks at their new bear they wanted to break in so I joined in on the fun. After a particularly precise throw the bear got pissed off, kicked the door of is cage on top of one of the Goblins and started a fight. Only to turn into a guy after I killed it. Had to reload after that. It was nice to see one of the Goblins rush to the Warg cage to let them join the fight though.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2020-10-19 at 08:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Been playing a warlock and feeling like something is missing. Realised invocations aren't in yet, no wonder spamdritch blast is so weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Been playing a warlock and feeling like something is missing. Realised invocations aren't in yet, no wonder spamdritch blast is so weak.
    Part of the problem is that currently you can only take one short rest per long rest, and it's ridiculously easy to just take a long rest after every fight instead, which really hurts Warlocks (and other classes that get their abilities / spells back after a short rest). Combined with the fact that Ray of Frost is grossly overpowered at the moment, you are better of bringing a Wizard.

Invocations are in. You get the first two at level 2, and the next at level 5. You just can't change one every level like you can in pen and paper for some reason. Eldritch blast is still really strong but I've found that until you hit level 5 for your second EB ray, a stronger option is to get into melee and dual wield since hex damage applies to main hand and off hand attacks. (assuming your dex is as high as your charisma. Mileage may vary if running around with less than 16 dex. )

From that point it's just a matter of doing your best not to lose your ability to active the reapply hex ability.

There are various problems there, first of all it's only EA up to level 4 and PHB to boot so far, as well as only one pact at level 3.

Eldritch Spam is not the point of Warlock, you can make it work like that with multiclassing and such later on, but Warlock that is down only to that and not enough short rets is just a shitty Wizard/Sorc really. Basically in EA with missing stuff and level 4 cap - it's just a poor man's Ranger and with rest system not being implemented (as in you can long rest at will), it makes lock even more pointless there.

Eldritch blast is still really strong
    Funnily enough my first Act 1 playthrough was as Warlock, and yes I optimized it pretty well Half-Elf with charisma balls to the wall 17 level 1 and 18 level 4, Agonizing Blast ofc and so on. EB has its moments, mostly thanks to knockback and it also looks and sound really cool and Dark One's Blessing is super nice.

But second playthrough I went Ranger and let me tell you - as far as EA goes - Ranger wipes the living shit out of lock. The BS I did as Ranger in-between gobs more damage (and especially most important much more attack, so you don't miss that much), stealth assassinations, having 9 proficiencies level 1 and what not - lock simply pales in comparison.

And things won't get better when Ranger gets 2nd attack at 5.

Now when they will make it proper 3 short rests for 1 long rest, limited in some way, then Lock can afford to actually cast spells and has some great goodies. Before that it's mostly pointless.
    Last edited by Gaidax; Yesterday at 01:19 PM.

I know they're in, but for some reason the game decided I didn't want to pick my own stuff at level 2 and did it without me ever seeing what it grabbed.

And invocations don't show up on the character sheet. I just know I don't have the things I'd prefer. Give me agonising blast and repulsive any day, Hex plus AB is a good chunk of damage in a cantrip.

The short vs long rest thing, I'm *constantly* conscious of burning through long rests, in the current limited story it probably doesn't mean much, but at some point the game will involve time sensitive events and requirements and I don't want to rely on LRs.

Also poison spray is nuts.

Honestly the main issue I've run into with warlock is just how much better fiend patron is than old one. Like, having played both it's not even a contest. The temporary hit points on kill that fiend gets will *easily* make you the tankiest party member early game, especially when fighting hordes of squishy enemies, and at scorching ray + hex is basically an i win combo if you fire it from elevation to all but guarantee all 3 rays land. GOO's level 1 feature that lets you speak telepathically is non existent and they don't seem to have given them anything to make up for it and even if they did it's more of an rp feature than a combat one (GOO in general seems to be more focused on RP perks) so I don't even know what they could replace it with. Permanent and always on detect thoughts maybe? I could see GOOs level 8(or is it 6?) feature that gives them resistance to psychic damage being good later on at least.