Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Hey guys. Whats the feeling on a possible release date in here?
    Feelings on a possible release date...? Probably 2022. Even knowing DOS2 released a year after it's EA and thats what most were basing their hopes on but I don't get the feeling BG3 will make that October 2021 date as thats when it's EA started.

Its supposed to be released somtime in 2021 but i've seen more and more youtubers(i know) saying they doubt its coming this year. SNIP...
    At no point has larian ever said a release date. There really isn't a "supposed to release date". Never has been one. Lots and lots of speculation but no mention of one ever. Gamers would love to have had one and come up with all kinds of ideas on a release date but nothing yet.

In that, I'd love to see it released this year but they would have to be much farther along than we have information about it.
    Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Feelings on a possible release date...? Probably 2022. Even knowing DOS2 released a year after it's EA and thats what most were basing their hopes on but I don't get the feeling BG3 will make that October 2021 date as thats when it's EA started.

At no point has larian ever said a release date. There really isn't a "supposed to release date". Never has been one. Lots and lots of speculation but no mention of one ever. Gamers would love to have had one and come up with all kinds of ideas on a release date but nothing yet.

In that, I'd love to see it released this year but they would have to be much farther along than we have information about it.
    I believe the only thing said officially is that it would be in EA for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    I believe the only thing said officially is that it would be in EA for at least a year.
    Yep.

This is their full quote from their EA Information page:

How long will the game be in Early Access?
    Though Act 1 (the content for Early Access) is defined, Acts 2 and 3 are work in progress. It’s therefore difficult to predict when 1.0 will launch. We anticipate Baldur’s Gate 3 being in Early Access for at least one year but we’ll have to see how it goes. It’ll be ready when it’s ready.
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Could have sworn they said something about it in the panel from hell, but apparently i was mistaken.

Man i hope i dont have to wait till 2022

Could have sworn they said something about it in the panel from hell, but apparently i was mistaken.

Man i hope i dont have to wait till 2022
    You have a snowballs chance in hell that it releases this year. We are nearing the half-way point of the year and the visible progress of the last 6 months was practically non-existent. They are missing a bunch of classes and 2/3 of the content.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

koko := coocoo

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    You have a snowballs chance in hell that it releases this year. We are nearing the half-way point of the year and the visible progress of the last 6 months was practically non-existent. They are missing a bunch of classes and 2/3 of the content.
    I accept that, however they have explicitly stated they wont release any more content in the early access. We dont actually know how far they are with classes/acts

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I know I know so much less about this than yall do and I'm just guessing....but I suspect they will launch the game hard and it will be easier by the time they are done with it years later, no? Probably respec included with that, if not in at launch?

Also, I know some decisions seem set in stone now, but once a full release happens, community feedback can really erode confidence, and developers should probably never say never imho. Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I know in DoS2, I literally lived on that boat to respec, lol. We'll see, but I'm a huge respec proponent and I'm not even worried, lol.
    Dos2 had respec In at launch, Dos1 didn’t have it at first but it was added later down the line. Both games had respec only after act 1 though I believe so it might not have been in the EA.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    So I bought BG3 when it became available and played just a little bit before I realized I'd rather wait until there was going to be much more content to sink into rather than replay the same small amount over and over as more was added. Is it at a point now where there is a significant amount of the story implemented or is it still just a small portion that's available? I'm really jonesing for some D&D/RPG goodness and I've discovered that Divinity doesn't do it for me so I'd really like to dive into some BG3.
    Have you looked into Solasta Crown of the Magister? It comes out fully tomorrow abd is likely a closer to ttrpg experience then bg3

Beyond that if 3.5 type games work there is kingmaker right now and wotr for pathfinder in september

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys. Whats the feeling on a possible release date in here?

Its supposed to be released somtime in 2021 but i've seen more and more youtubers(i know) saying they doubt its coming this year.

Cant wait to try out some more of the classes and i'm hoping they will add more companions.
    I always assumed 2022 to 2023

Fk sake I want this game nao! Need some classic RPG fix.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Fk sake I want this game nao! Need some classic RPG fix.
    I'm good with tbc coming next week and then 9.1 coming soon but yeah. I'd much rather be playing bg3 tbh.

The only thing i dont like as much so far is that i think they are going to follow the act thing they have been using in DoS aswell.

So that once you finnish an act you are basicly done with an entire area and wont really be coming back again.

It makes the world feel a bit smaller to me

when can we expect a BIG update? like a new class? preferably a dragonborn
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    when can we expect a BIG update? like a new class? preferably a dragonborn
    No one knows. No new updates announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    No one knows. No new updates announced.
    They don't seem to have an E3 showing either so it could be a while.

New interview with Swen, pretty happy to hear their direction and the focus on improving combat and melee in particular. 5E melee is pretty stale so I'm glad to hear they're willing to add things there. I think it would be great if they added a few abilities to more classes to help set them further apart and have a broader toolkit.

I don't care for his repeated use of the phrase, "there are certain things in DnD that don't work in videogames." We know thats wrong because of past D&D turn based games.

So, I'm not a fan of that idea given it actually does work and as you level you get more power and abilities in D&D. You're not supposed to have this plethora of things to do at low levels. It's part of playing D&D and straying to much from that is a wrong move in my eyes.

Move to far from D&D and it might as well be DOS3.

I don't care for his repeated use of the phrase, "there are certain things in DnD that don't work in videogames." We know thats wrong because of past D&D turn based games.

So, I'm not a fan of that idea given it actually does work and as you level you get more power and abilities in D&D. You're not supposed to have this plethora of things to do at low levels. It's part of playing D&D and straying to much from that is a wrong move in my eyes.

With stacking a few things you can start shooting Eldritch Blasts at 600 feet of range. Most characters only move 30 feet a turn. So no, there's definitely stuff that DOES NOT work on a video game from D&D.

Well shit, next year release is "not guaranteed".

The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    With stacking a few things you can start shooting Eldritch Blasts at 600 feet of range. Most characters only move 30 feet a turn. So no, there's definitely stuff that DOES NOT work on a video game from D&D.
    Especially since a lot of battles 600 would be the entire map, and for like 90% of the game you wouldd be well within the normal range. Or 600 would be blocked by line of sight, so it either ends up being super OP or a useless choice.

I mean hell even in normal D&d it's debatable, as it depends heavily on the dm and the area of the campaign. Won't get much use in a town or dungeon. But in a forest or field yeah sure.

And yeah a lot of spells lose a lot of their use, thaumaturgy a spell that has a lot of practical uses just becomes a charisma buff. It's rather lame....

Imagine silent image like how do you have that in the game be as useful as it can in normal dnd?

I think he's actually 100% correct. For example I really feel the super high RNG of the D20 is bad for modern video games and basically weren't really intended to be used there at all. Many decisions in current D&D exist to simplify things enough to the point where people can easily resolve outcomes in their homes during their own sessions. That is necessary and good in tabletop, but a computer can do a much better job tracking stats and simulating many more variables without wasting anyone's time. Its like using gameboy graphics on a 3090.

It's also correct in regard to fighters and what he's talking about in this video: having a class basically do nothing except use a single "Attack" action over and over is garbage tier gameplay for a modern triple A title. Of course they had to add things like shove, weapon attacks and whatever else they're planning to increase variety. It seems kind of insane to me that some D&D purists are actually giving Larian shit for this.

There's also a ton of other spells which are hard to do well in a videogame. Transport via plants? Animal Messenger? Arcane Lock? Modify Memory? Legend Lore? Awaken? All stuff that you'd maybe use in one niche or scripted situation in a videogame. And, as others have stated, ranges and other spell properties as well as effects on terrain and non worn objects need to be somewhat streamlined.

Rests are another one where the dynamics of videogames kind of interfere. In tabletop the DM can scale back incoming threats on the fly when they are too lethal. In computer games players want to be challenged but having the computer change encounters or dial down a threat when you're about to lose feels unfun or fake.
    Players can also save their game and tend to do so after a won battle. If it turns out that you can't rest after your save and you're in an unwinnable position that means a player possibly bricked their savegame and possibly lost a ton of progress if they overwrote a previous one. That feels terrible, so the game needs to offer more opportunities for resting and recovering resources so you don't end up in a lost position after winning a battle. They actually did a great job adapting here because they still have some no resting areas in those places where you can expect a significant threat and going in unprepared will cost you.

But yeah, all of these are some of the things D&D purists complain about because they don't really understand game design well enough. They'll also bring up other, tiny D&D games and point at the mechanics of those games to try to convince a studio that is operating about 50 levels higher that the huge marketshare they unlocked with DOS2 and earned them the Baldurs Gate license in the first place should be ignored so they can be more "faithful to D&D". Like that somehow has more value than Larian doing whatever they feel makes the best game possible.

Which past D&D turn-based games? And which versions of D&D were they based on?

I think 4th Ed would make an awesome video game as is. Similarly, 3.5 has enough feats and the like to give some great builds. 5th Ed D&D is...well...lacking in a lot of options. The fun in 5th Ed, for me, comes in inventive problem solving. That's not something one can do in a video game, where only solutions supported by the game engine are viable. If it's going to be reduced to a tactical video game, then I want to have the levels of options seen in that genre.