Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Page 8 of 236 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You'll probably be disappointed tbh. For how evocative it is as a term and in fantasy, Bladesong never really was that special in any of its rule incarnations. At best you are a fighter mage who wear elven chainmail. At worse you are a somewhat weaker fighter who can cast a few spells here in there. Both BG2 and IWD have elven chainmail that fighter/mages can wear so you can use that and be effectively a bladesinger.

Also moonblades have nothing to do with bladesinging. Anyone could wield a moonblade. The only surprising thing with Xan is that his moonblade did not go dormant the moment he drew it.
    I'm well aware moonblades have nothing to do with bladesinging but in BG 1 that was about all you could do if you wanted a sword/sorcery combo. Sure you could go Fighter/Mage builds but without most of the later rules to help them out they really suffered.

As far as not being special in its rule incarnations we can agree to disagree. I've played every edition of D&D and there are some points where they have shined. I think they do quite well in 5E if you're not using the point buy system and if you are using it then you have to be much more careful at selecting when to melee mode. Either way with Baldur's Gate being a central point in Forgotten Realms and Bladesingers mostly being found in the Realms I hope they show up, it is just a subclass to wizard and I bet we'll see many subclasses for each class in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I like to pretend the novels just don't exist, as the story is ridiculous. AA nails everything that walks, including Jaheira (while her husband is still alive, mind you) and even Bodhi. He's a grade-A A-hole (hence the AA name, I assume).
    ... What?

Did they mistakenly publish someone's fanfiction?

No, fanfiction is usually much higher quality than the Baldur's Gate novels.
    Heh, sounds like a nice addition to my cringe library.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    ... What?

Did they mistakenly publish someone's fanfiction?
    No. They really are that bad.

The quality improves somewhat though for the third book covering throne of bhaal, but that's only because the author responsible for the first 2 was replaced with Drew Karpyshyn, and even then, it isn't very good.

I wonder if I need to know BG1/2 for this game to make sense..?

Also, since this is based on D&D, how god awful will playng a caster be for the first 1000 hours before you suddenly become decent? The whole x-Edition speech doesn't mean much to me, but I have been consistently disapointed in the past whenever it came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I wonder if I need to know BG1/2 for this game to make sense..?

Also, since this is based on D&D, how god awful will playng a caster be for the first 1000 hours before you suddenly become decent? The whole x-Edition speech doesn't mean much to me, but I have been consistently disapointed in the past whenever it came up.
    5e actually frontloads a lot of abilities. Most classes really take off at level three, though a few are riding high right out of the gate.

5e actually frontloads a lot of abilities. Most classes really take off at level three, though a few are riding high right out of the gate.
    Can I also actually use them (at least once per fight) or is it still 2 fireballs a day? That stuff drove me nuts in Pillars of Eternity.

Can I also actually use them (at least once per fight) or is it still 2 fireballs a day? That stuff drove me nuts in Pillars of Eternity.
    There are still limited spell slots but there are different ways to get spell slots back depending on class.

Wizards have arcane recovery which allows them to restore a number of spell slots based on their level when they take a short rest. Sorcerers can use sorcery points to restore spells slots. Warlocks have the fewest spell slots but they are all restored when they take a short rest, plus they can select extra invocations that can take the form of minor spells they can cast at will, regular spells they can cast using a spell slot, or powerful spells they can use once a day.

Plus all spellcasting classes get cantrips, which are spells that can be used at will. Obviously they are not as potent as something like fireball, but they keep most spellcasters from feeling useless without magic items to prop them up. And most cantrips grow more powerful as you level up.

5e has a buch of Cantrips that can be cast as many times as you want, and they scale up as you gain levels. Your more powerful spells, however, do have a limited number of casts, based on your level. I *think* you can get some of those spell slots back during a short rest? Don't quote me on that though.

-----

I'm just hoping they let me make my NG Pal/Nec (not an Oathbreaker).

7+ Year Old Account
    K, game will appear during PC Gaming Show.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Okay, if I can at least do something then I'm fine with that, I just don't want to be start meleeing random enemies with my staff halfway through the first fight.

Edit: Though I perfer managing mana (and recovery items for that) in my RPGs tbh.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-06-10 at 05:07 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Okay, if I can at least do something then I'm fine with that, I just don't want to be start meleeing random enemies with my staff halfway through the first fight.

Edit: Though I perfer managing mana (and recovery items for that) in my RPGs tbh.
    You will most likely still be doing it, if those cantrips are like in NVN. That's just a life of low lvl caster.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Really, my dream right now is that Baldur's Gate 3 has a modding community behind it like the first two did and someone recreates the first two games in the new engine (either fans or Larian themselves).

That would be pretty damn sweet.

Really, my dream right now is that Baldur's Gate 3 has a modding community behind it like the first two did and someone recreates the first two games in the new engine (either fans or Larian themselves).

That would be pretty damn sweet.
    That might be a long-term project at some point, and certainly a comprehensive world-building toolkit in the vein of NWN would be awesome.

But in the short term, I'm just hoping that there's enough mod support to make the usual difficulty/convenience/NPC mods that gave BG1/2 that much longevity. Heck, I doubt I could play either BG1 or BG2 without SCS anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That might be a long-term project at some point, and certainly a comprehensive world-building toolkit in the vein of NWN would be awesome.
    Not sure about that. NVN toolkit made that game look crappy. All those same looking locations and 90° angles everywhere.

What we need is sex mods.
    You don't really need to ask for those, they just happen.

Oh great, no gameplay. Waited 2h for for two dudes to come and talk what was already known.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2019-06-10 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    IIRC, there was a 2nd edition version of the Forgotten Realms handbook that had "Divine Champions" that were basically just a paladin version of each god. Had all the heavy codes of behavior that a paladin did, just specific to each god. I always thought that was a better solution than the straight up Lawful Good version, and made a hell of a lot more sense in a world with so many powerful gods. Why do only the lawful good guys get super-hero champions?

But yeah, these days it's just a fighter with divine spells. Wooo..... So honor. Many holy. Much righteous.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Call them divine champions, but only those serving Lawful Good deities should be called paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Now to hope it won't be a Stadia exclusive or something stupid like that...
    yeah, hope they put it on steam.

wth is stadia even.....?

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post

wth is stadia even.....?
    Already confirmed that it will be on PC. And stadia (a worldplay on stadium) is googles streaming service.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post

wth is stadia even.....?
    Its on steam already, you can only wish list it atm.

Is it worldplay? I thought it was just plural (at least stadium is a Greek word and stadia is its plural).
    Not sure how to express it otherwise that they seem to refer to their multiple server instances as stadia (stadiums, which is afaik way more common in English) after a cringe inducing reveal trailer. Would pun work better perhaps? Or is it just a "clever" idea? I don't really want to give them credit for picking the name, even in a sarcastic manner tbh.