Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing a warlock and feeling like something is missing. Realised invocations aren't in yet, no wonder spamdritch blast is so weak.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Been playing a warlock and feeling like something is missing. Realised invocations aren't in yet, no wonder spamdritch blast is so weak.
    Part of the problem is that currently you can only take one short rest per long rest, and it's ridiculously easy to just take a long rest after every fight instead, which really hurts Warlocks (and other classes that get their abilities / spells back after a short rest). Combined with the fact that Ray of Frost is grossly overpowered at the moment, you are better of bringing a Wizard.

Invocations are in. You get the first two at level 2, and the next at level 5. You just can't change one every level like you can in pen and paper for some reason. Eldritch blast is still really strong but I've found that until you hit level 5 for your second EB ray, a stronger option is to get into melee and dual wield since hex damage applies to main hand and off hand attacks. (assuming your dex is as high as your charisma. Mileage may vary if running around with less than 16 dex. )

From that point it's just a matter of doing your best not to lose your ability to active the reapply hex ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are various problems there, first of all it's only EA up to level 4 and PHB to boot so far, as well as only one pact at level 3.

Eldritch Spam is not the point of Warlock, you can make it work like that with multiclassing and such later on, but Warlock that is down only to that and not enough short rets is just a shitty Wizard/Sorc really. Basically in EA with missing stuff and level 4 cap - it's just a poor man's Ranger and with rest system not being implemented (as in you can long rest at will), it makes lock even more pointless there.

Eldritch blast is still really strong
    Funnily enough my first Act 1 playthrough was as Warlock, and yes I optimized it pretty well Half-Elf with charisma balls to the wall 17 level 1 and 18 level 4, Agonizing Blast ofc and so on. EB has its moments, mostly thanks to knockback and it also looks and sound really cool and Dark One's Blessing is super nice.

But second playthrough I went Ranger and let me tell you - as far as EA goes - Ranger wipes the living shit out of lock. The BS I did as Ranger in-between gobs more damage (and especially most important much more attack, so you don't miss that much), stealth assassinations, having 9 proficiencies level 1 and what not - lock simply pales in comparison.

And things won't get better when Ranger gets 2nd attack at 5.

Now when they will make it proper 3 short rests for 1 long rest, limited in some way, then Lock can afford to actually cast spells and has some great goodies. Before that it's mostly pointless.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-10-20 at 01:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know they're in, but for some reason the game decided I didn't want to pick my own stuff at level 2 and did it without me ever seeing what it grabbed.

And invocations don't show up on the character sheet. I just know I don't have the things I'd prefer. Give me agonising blast and repulsive any day, Hex plus AB is a good chunk of damage in a cantrip.

The short vs long rest thing, I'm *constantly* conscious of burning through long rests, in the current limited story it probably doesn't mean much, but at some point the game will involve time sensitive events and requirements and I don't want to rely on LRs.

Also poison spray is nuts.

Honestly the main issue I've run into with warlock is just how much better fiend patron is than old one. Like, having played both it's not even a contest. The temporary hit points on kill that fiend gets will *easily* make you the tankiest party member early game, especially when fighting hordes of squishy enemies, and at scorching ray + hex is basically an i win combo if you fire it from elevation to all but guarantee all 3 rays land. GOO's level 1 feature that lets you speak telepathically is non existent and they don't seem to have given them anything to make up for it and even if they did it's more of an rp feature than a combat one (GOO in general seems to be more focused on RP perks) so I don't even know what they could replace it with. Permanent and always on detect thoughts maybe? I could see GOOs level 8(or is it 6?) feature that gives them resistance to psychic damage being good later on at least.

Quote Originally Posted by metzger84 View Post
    I don't feel any BG vibes coming off off BG3 at all. In fact, the Steam screenshots made me chuckle at how cheesy and generic it looks.
    I have only played for about 30 mins thus far but is was fucking furious you could not roll your stats. That is traditionally the first hour of any Baldurs Gate game imho!

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Anyone else find shadowheart and La'zael completely insufferable? They start of as complete cunts wich made me not care about their approval at all, it doesn't help that they disapprove of any selfless action that you do.
    I'm ok with Lae'zel, because of her race and context. I don't like Shadowheart though. She disappeared for me at one point and I didn't even care all that much.
    To be fair, I don't really like Wyll either, but at least he seems like a good person.
    Mostly i think i like the vampire, even if he disagrees with my choices. He's funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaelyn View Post
    Honestly the main issue I've run into with warlock is just how much better fiend patron is than old one. Like, having played both it's not even a contest. The temporary hit points on kill that fiend gets will *easily* make you the tankiest party member early game, especially when fighting hordes of squishy enemies, and at scorching ray + hex is basically an i win combo if you fire it from elevation to all but guarantee all 3 rays land. GOO's level 1 feature that lets you speak telepathically is non existent and they don't seem to have given them anything to make up for it and even if they did it's more of an rp feature than a combat one (GOO in general seems to be more focused on RP perks) so I don't even know what they could replace it with. Permanent and always on detect thoughts maybe? I could see GOOs level 8(or is it 6?) feature that gives them resistance to psychic damage being good later on at least.
    It's also likely that they haven't added GOO features yet.

Much like the rolled stats post, still in testing and devs want to focus on certain balancing. Playing with point buy seems a means to control the parameters.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Loving the game so far,despite my murdering impulses making me wanna empty serval places of life

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Loving the game so far,despite my murdering impulses making me wanna empty serval places of life
    WTF man? Servals are awesome!

Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I have only played for about 30 mins thus far but is was fucking furious you could not roll your stats. That is traditionally the first hour of any Baldurs Gate game imho!
    That's just lowkey cheating, in a real 5e game you only get to roll once or twice if the GM is nice, statbuy makes more sense in a videogame, and official league play doesn't even have the rolling option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    This is an OUTRAGE!
    That's a great homage to D&D.

Kept away from spoilers completely but... Quick one then. As a long time fan of BG1, 2. IWD 1, 2 NWN etc

Should I get the game now or wait?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Kept away from spoilers completely but... Quick one then. As a long time fan of BG1, 2. IWD 1, 2 NWN etc

It depends if you are ok with playing vastly unfinished game and helping to shape it up.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post

Depends whether you need your fix now or can wait.

Overall, there is a good 30 hours of content for single full playthrough of the current BG3, which is basically most of Act 1 out of 3.

It is a very early EA - there is only half of the total classes available and many subclasses/specializations and/or spells are not in yet, as well as we're hard capped to level 4 only.

The questing experience and various paths you can take to accomplish your glorious or insidious goals are very numerous, in that regard it feels like Act 1 is complete, especially if you go good path. There are some bugs with some side quests, but the main quest is complete and you get to resolve a big Act 1 area story in a satisfactory fashion too. There are also plenty of side quests big and small alike unrelated or vaguely related to main path with multiple resolution options.

The evil path is more like the "dumb" path now, as in why would you do that unless you're a Russian roulette psycho. It has some perks and its own characters, but overall that one is super unfinished and will definitely be spiced up to make more sense and be more enticing.

The game looks good, character models design and how these models look in conversations is outstanding. Sometimes things make less sense that they should and Larian said they will touch some of it up, but you can mostly connect the dots fine.

I already clocked in more than 100 hours and you don't spend 100 hours+ in something that's genuinely bad.

So if you're like "omg I'm bored I need my crpg fix nao" - then yeah, go on. If you can wait half a year though - better do that, you'll get a more complete game by then with more classes, toys and hopefully level 5.

As it looks now game targets either super late 2021 or 2022, so there is a long time there yet.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-10-24 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Kind of amazing they even get to make another game after how awful unfinished and buggy the first Pathfinder game was
    Who is the "they" in this statement? Wizards is D&D, while Paizo is Pathfinder. Larian did BG3, while Pathfinder: Kingmaker was developed by Owlcat Games. I don't see any overlap at all here, but maybe you're referring to some other Pathfinder product?

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Who is the "they" in this statement? Wizards is D&D, while Paizo is Pathfinder. Larian did BG3, while Pathfinder: Kingmaker was developed by Owlcat Games. I don't see any overlap at all here, but maybe you're referring to some other Pathfinder product?
    I mean owlcat

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Solasta also in early access lets you do this..and make your entire party

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Someone just before that post mentioned Wrath of the Righteous

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Um, Drow aren't kill on sight ever since 5e player handbook made them a core race. And Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide even outright says that the attitude towards the Drow has tempered in recent years. Seems your judgement that "Larian doesn't understand source material" is outdated by more than half a decade.
    >caring about 5e in any way, shape, for form
    Soulless regurgitations of previous, respected work, plagued on every inch by the insertion of modern day politics, need to be ignored and shamed at every opportunity.